Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akrapovic Exhaust (from 7.5R Special Edition)

Akrapovic Exhaust (from 7.5R Special Edition)

Hi guys - wanted to get your thoughts on how the Akrapovic exhaust sounds from the 7.5R Special Edition especially compared to the standard R model?

The exhaust on my 2016 R has always been the biggest disappointment so was keen to see how they have improved it!
    Seen some clips on youtube and I think it sounds pretty good in some vids - a bit focus RS like. Anyone know if they can be retrofitted to a 7R? Guessing the exhaust itself would cost a fair bit (especially if ordered from the dealership!).

Also a bit off topic - I recently serviced my car at VW and I've noticed the car is a touch louder with more burbles on the overrun (DSG), guessing they tweaked something in a software update? Anyone else noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by xclay05x View Post
    Hi guys - wanted to get your thoughts on how the Akrapovic exhaust sounds from the 7.5R Special Edition especially compared to the standard R model?

The exhaust on my 2016 R has always been the biggest disappointment so was keen to see how they have improved it!
    Seen some clips on youtube and I think it sounds pretty good in some vids - a bit focus RS like. Anyone know if they can be retrofitted to a 7R? Guessing the exhaust itself would cost a fair bit (especially if ordered from the dealership!).

Also a bit off topic - I recently serviced my car at VW and I've noticed the car is a touch louder with more burbles on the overrun (DSG), guessing they tweaked something in a software update? Anyone else noticed this?
    When I got my original 7.5 I thought the same.. loved everything except wanted a bit more from the stock exhaust as I heard the DSG farts but they were subtle..

I was lucky enough to be in a position to move to an SE and can say that the exhaust is exactly what I wanted from the car.. at first I thought it was a bit too much but after having the car for 3 months I love it.

Now to your retrofit question as I have had a few people ask me in other forums. To order an akra exhaust you need to provide a vin.. otherwise ordering from VWA will set you back $6k retail (hardly worth the cost when you can get other aftermarket exhausts for much much less).

IMO it is the best sounding exhaust but the cost unless you buy a new SE outweigh the benefit.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Yep, definitely better off putting together a different system.

For ~$6k you're pretty close to say a valved IPE with a downpipe and tune to get both flexible sound and the performance - easy choice.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    for the amount it would cost to get this exhaust fitted to your car you're better off going a full stage 2 setup..

Quote Originally Posted by cursed333 View Post
    for the amount it would cost to get this exhaust fitted to your car you're better off going a full stage 2 setup..
    Or buy an SE and go stage 2 as well?

Then you get the exhaust.. and the tune

Users Country Flag
    You'll still need a downpipe for stage 2 on an SE.

Zero issues mixing and matching parts, but that would be an ugly exercise dollar wise if you wanted to keep it all Akra.

Are they discounting the SE yet? If the dealers are playing silly then definitely a standard car with a valved system is the best of all worlds - for a lower outlay. Which either way isn't relevant to OP, who is vastly better off going for a cheaper system.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    I don't know but I paid $66 drive away for my SE With sunroof & I've booked stage 2+ for it in 2 weeks & i've only had it for a month

If you were pretty easily entertained, I've fitted the CTS turbo muffler delete, turbo inlet pipe & CAI & with the exhaust open in Race mode it's plenty loud..

Quote Originally Posted by cursed333 View Post
    I don't know but I paid $66 drive away for my SE With sunroof & I've booked stage 2+ for it in 2 weeks & i've only had it for a month

If you were pretty easily entertained, I've fitted the CTS turbo muffler delete, turbo inlet pipe & CAI & with the exhaust open in Race mode it's plenty loud..
    I've just gone stage 1 with Racingline after doing the R600 intake, piping, elbow and muffler delete..

Tossed up the idea of an akra DP but is another $3k to finish off the system..

The crackles are much louder and more consistent now since the tune too but I think this has more to do with oil temps as pre tune they would soften when oil temps got to 109 but now I don't even crack 100 in temp so they are always there in race.

Next for me is sway bars and springs before I entertain the Akra DP.

Users Country Flag
    Comparing them as an A -B when I was driving cars about a month ago I'd say the SE has a much more pronounced exhaust note. crackles a lot more and generally higher volume - especially in race mode. The R was much more subtle from within the cabin.

Keep in mind I still had the Soundaktor interfering at that point so it's hard to give you an honest sense of the exhaust without that in the mix.

Users Country Flag

I've set my soundaktor to 0 in the SE and it makes the car really quiet. It will still crackle and fart, but it is really quiet even when you put it in race mode. Most disappointing. I almost turned the soundaktor back on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast