Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akrapovic downpipe for MK 7.5 Golf R

Users Country Flag

Akrapovic downpipe for MK 7.5 Golf R

Hey guys,

Has anyone installed an Akrapovic downpipe for a MK 7.5 Golf R? If so, how much do they go for as cost seems elusive on the Net? What are thoughts after installation?

Appreciate any feedback.

TIA.

Jase

Users Country Flag
    Knowing Akrapovic, their pricing will more than likely be double (or more) the other well known brands already on the market. Its just a piece of pipe with a few bends in it - not worth the astronomical price.

Personally i would go with one of the well known exhaust manufacturers for the VW platform such as CTS, Milltek, Scorpion, Unitronic etc.

Below are a couple of options.

CTS Turbo Downpipe w/ Cat – VW Golf R Mk7 / Audi S3 8V – AutoInstruct

034Motorsport Cast Stainless Steel Downpipe – MK7 Golf GTI / R & 8V Audi S3 – AutoInstruct

Cobra Sport VW Golf R MK7 Downpipe with Sports Catalyst – AutoInstruct

Remus Sport Downpipe – Mk7 Golf R – AutoInstruct
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 01-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Lucas. Appreciate and trust your input.

I made an enquiry to my local tuner about some specific mods for my R Wagon, as not keen to void drivetrain warranty quite yet (despite going full stage 2 on my MKVI GTI and Jetta) only being 6 months old and quite low K's. They replied to my other questions and then through in another option I had not considered. Putting in an Akro downpipe, as they said it woudn't throw a warning light, and then not tune it. Then, when I am ready to tune it, the pipe is already in place.

Users Country Flag
    Any of the downpipes which have a catalytic converter should in theory not upset the cars computer - i cant see how the Akra option would be any different to any other brand in that respect.

But in saying that, i dont know why you would spend the money to purchase and install the downpipe now and then not tune the car for x amount of time. There will be no benefit except for emptying your wallet.

Its your car and you can obviously do as you please, but personally i would just do it all at once when you are ready to tune. This will leave the car stock for the meantime just in case you have any warranty issues in the meantime.

If you get an aftermarket downpipe installed and then are unlucky enough to have a turbo failure or other engine/drivetrain issue, im sure VW will be quick to blame the fact that the car has been modified to get out of fixing the issue under warranty.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I agree, think I will just hold off on a big purchase like that as there is no real gain in it. When I've done it previously it was always CAI, downpipe, stage 2 tune, and dsg tune etc.

Instead I will do a few minor mods like Pedalbox as I like how responsive it is and you can manage settings. Swaybars to improve the handling through the twisties. Can't see the value in a CAI yet unless I am going above stage 2.

Users Country Flag
    CAI with a Stg 1 tune will deliver extra power. (~15kw in it)

OEM+ Stg 1 = 270kw on a MK7.5 R
    OEM+ Stg + R600 CAI complete intake = 285kw
    Note that this is without the exhaust still (so not Stg 2 yet)

OEM+ Stg2 (incl R600 CAI + Miltek DP) = 290kw

Performance Packages - Harding Performance

Theoretically the CAI package alone could net you as high as 15kw, though in reality on its own probably only ~5kw since the tune really adds value to the CAI.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 01-08-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Hi
    I got quoted $2990 for the Akrapovic downpipe .
    I was looking for a downpipe with a hiflow 300cell metallic cat and I ended up getting the HPA Motorsport cat . Great service from HPA received the the downpipe in 4 days from Canada .

Cheers
    Mal

Users Country Flag
    HPA stuff is top notch.

$3k for the Akra downpipe is pricey. More than double the price of most others.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    HPA stuff is top notch.

$3k for the Akra downpipe is pricey. More than double the price of most others.
    HI Lucas

The HPA downpipe with delete res pipework with clamps , reducer and O2 extension lead cost $1600 all up .

Cheers
    Mal

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by malR View Post
    HI Lucas

The HPA downpipe with delete res pipework with clamps , reducer and O2 extension lead cost $1600 all up .

Cheers
    Mal
    Thats cheaper than i would have expected for HPA. Nicely done.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast