Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Alloy Wheels

Users Country Flag

Aftermarket Alloy Wheels

Hi,

I've been noticing several sellers listing Golf alloy wheels that are a replica of the OEM wheels. Has anyone got any experience with these wheels?

I'd like to upgrade my alloys, though I prefer the OEM design, open to aftermarket designs as well; which are the decent brands to go with? What about shops such as bobjane etc?

I'm worried about the aftermarket alloys being heavier and/or brittle.

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    Hi,

I've been noticing several sellers listing Golf alloy wheels that are a replica of the OEM wheels. Has anyone got any experience with these wheels?

I'd like to upgrade my alloys, though I prefer the OEM design, open to aftermarket designs as well; which are the decent brands to go with? What about shops such as bobjane etc?

I'm worried about the aftermarket alloys being heavier and/or brittle.

Please suggest.

regards,

Nitin
    Rotiform while not OEM looking have some good designs. I like the KPS.

Users Country Flag
    Avoid OEM reps - they will be of poor quality and the firms that sell them do not have your interests in mind. Some of these places are selling a set of 4 with tyres for not much more than a single quality rim.. you get what you pay for.

Depending on your budget, and requirements, I'd be looking at:

1. Set of quality after market rims
    2. Set of second hand quality after market rims or the OEM rims you are after

Obviously the latter does come with its own risks, but people are always swapping around and some good bargains can be had if you keep your eye on the adverts.

Rotiform cast wheels are heavy but reliable, and big in the VW scene so worth a look. Also a benefit of being fairly cheap compared to some of the higher end players.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    VMR is a decent brand and make a good range of wheels to suit Audi/VW at a decent price. I had a set of VMR V705 5 spoke rims on my Mk6 GTI and they were great. And a mate of mine has had a set of VMR V701 multi spoke rims on his Mk7 R for about 4-5 years now.

As others have mentioned, try to avoid those "Tempe Tyres" type shops that predominantly sell garbage at rock bottom prices.

Mars Performance are one of the Australian distributors for VMR wheels: Products | Mars Performance
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Gumtree have a fair few on there, some advertised as genuine VW rims
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've been to VMR site; the cost is quite reasonable. How is the weight and durability?

Any other brands worth considering?

I did come across a Golf-R OEM wheels for sale on Perth VW Group but was too late.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    I've been to VMR site; the cost is quite reasonable. How is the weight and durability?

Any other brands worth considering?

I did come across a Golf-R OEM wheels for sale on Perth VW Group but was too late.
    The VMR's are cast wheels (same as all normal/generic wheels) so they are not lightweight wheels. You need to pay big bucks (at least double or triple) if you want a lighter wheel.

As for quality - I am very fussy with my cars and I was more than happy with them. I had them for about 2 years before i sold the car and they still looked great - no damage or issues.

TSW and Koya are two other brands to look at.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-07-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The VMR's are cast wheels (smae as all normal/generic wheels) so they are not lightweight wheels. You need to pay big bucks (at least double or triple) if you want a lighter wheel.

TSW and Koya are two other brands to look at.
    I'm okay as long as the quality and weight is equal to OEM.

Users Country Flag
    As Lucas said, the VMRs a good compromise on a budget.

Note that some VMRs now come flowformed as well which makes them a bit lighter than some of the other older wheels in the range for not much more.

Another one to look out for is Neuspeed, they are to the Mk7 what VMR was to the Mk6 - harder to come by here reliably compared to the USA where they dominated the Mk7 scene, but strong and light for the price.

Otherwise I have a bent for OZ.. and I can't argue with BBS on a Golf either.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag

Highly recommend Enkei and SSR wheels, much cost-effective and stronger.

18 and 19 inch wheels are generally About AU$1800.

unless you are after forged wheels such as OZ and BBS ( recently bankrupted) which are priced between AU$2700-4000

DO NOT buy any OEM wheels…
    Last edited by Fastygolf7half; 26-07-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast