Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermarket Alloy Wheels

Ok, thanks. The 18" Pretorias with a good set of tyres might be an option. The ride might even be preferable. I just don't want to spoil the look of course.

I'll look into the 19" too though. You say the money would be "... better spent on a much better set of high end wheels" but I don't know enough about wheels to know what's high end and good quality and what's a cheap copy. That's why I feel safer with OEM.

And to be honest, I find it hard to even find many non-OEM wheels that suit the Golf R. I guess I'm too fussy, I don't know. I don't want it to look too boy-racer or busy - just a more classy set of sporty wheels. (BMW seem to do that stuff much better than Audi or VW... wheels I mean). The pretorias seem like the only ones that come close for me - either OEM or non-OEM. But of course, it's all subjective.

Any issues to consider with ordering from ECS Tuning? How long does their shipping take usually?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf R 2020 View Post
    Ok, thanks. The 18" Pretorias with a good set of tyres might be an option. The ride might even be preferable. I just don't want to spoil the look of course.

I'll look into the 19" too though. You say the money would be "... better spent on a much better set of high end wheels" but I don't know enough about wheels to know what's high end and good quality and what's a cheap copy. That's why I feel safer with OEM.

And to be honest, I find it hard to even find many non-OEM wheels that suit the Golf R. I guess I'm too fussy, I don't know. I don't want it to look too boy-racer or busy - just a more classy set of sporty wheels. (BMW seem to do that stuff much better than Audi or VW... wheels I mean). The pretorias seem like the only ones that come close for me - either OEM or non-OEM. But of course, it's all subjective.

Any issues to consider with ordering from ECS Tuning? How long does their shipping take usually?
    I haven’t bought from ECS myself, but I did buy something bulky from the US recently. You should look into using Planet Express, a freight forwarding company for much cheaper shipping. They quoted $US230 for a set of wheels with Fedex 4-7 days

Still trying to decide which Neuspeed wheels I like best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bor1203 View Post
    I haven’t bought from ECS myself, but I did buy something bulky from the US recently. You should look into using Planet Express, a freight forwarding company for much cheaper shipping. They quoted $US230 for a set of wheels with Fedex 4-7 days
    Just factor in that you'll likely be up for 10% GST on the import as well...

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

Aftermarket Alloy Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Just factor in that you'll likely be up for 10% GST on the import as well...
    Yep for sure.

However even still, by my calculations there is a $1100 gap to cover GST and import duties with the price from the sole Australian Neuspeed distributor

$1,900 for the wheels including shipping (US$1,382) vs $3,025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf R 2020 View Post

If you want something strong and classy then the BBS CH-R is a classic that really suits the Golf IMO - but yes, looks are subjective.

I'm biased but I'd also say OZ Leggera HLT is neat - silver/grey or gloss black depending on car colour and your own preference.

Neuspeeds are very popular Stateside as they have a great rep these days, light but strong, and are mostly designed to even take the VW cap to complete an OEM look. As bor1203 says though - look at the best way to buy them as there seems to be a real disconnect between buying from the USA vs. locally.

I will say one advantage going local when you consider the pricing is 'close' is the benefit of having a local contact/warranty for any issues on delivery like a chip etc. It is a painful exercise if that occurs with an overseas order. However what I consider as 'close' may be different to others.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Ok thanks, some of those don't look too bad. I probably still slightly prefer the Pretorias, but the price for the 19" is insane.

Regarding import prices from the USA, is there just a 10% GST charge only? Or is there also an import duty on top of that?

e.g if ECS Tuning are quoting say $3,000 (I assume USD), what would be the total cost including all taxes and import costs?

Users Country Flag
    Don't quote me but you'd also have customs duty of ~5% plus some miscellaneous charges.

Back when I was looking to do it a rough rule of thumb was to add another 16% on top to estimate those costs - as duty is usually assessed against the goods value, while GST is normally assessed against goods plus duty plus freight/insurance.

The knockout back then was often the exorbitant freight but that has become cheaper over time through freight forwarders etc.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    I'm worried about the aftermarket alloys being heavier and/or brittle.
    You won't get much heavier than OEM unless it is a really rubbish aftermarket wheel.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You won't get much heavier than OEM unless it is a really rubbish aftermarket wheel.

Any views on Tempe Tyres wheels at all, quality vise ... some of the Lenso designs are quite nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123