Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Alloy Wheels

Users Country Flag

Yep, agreed on Enkei and well priced in Australia unlike some others.

BBS has filed for bankruptcy protection in Germany but this won't impact production fortunately.

If OP can find a set of good condition second hand OEM wheels though that suits needs, no problems there either.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Please forgive my display of totally subjective personal prejudice.
    I do happen to rather like the Audi S3 wheels on my Mk7 R.
    Sorry 'bout that.
    YMMV
    Current : 2017 Mk7 Golf R (most options) || 2012 Golf Mk6 TDi (few options)
    Gone : 2004 Bora V6 4Motion (few klms, all options)

><(((°> ><(((°>

Quote Originally Posted by Fastygolf7half View Post
    ... DO NOT buy any OEM wheels…
    Why not OEM?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf R 2020 View Post
    Why not OEM?
    OEM is fine unless you're looking to drop some weight for a performance application (although very few look any good these days.. but I appreciate that is subjective). With the exception of the 19" Pretoria OEMs are generally quite heavy but the flipside is they're strong (again, minus the 19" Pretoria) and make good second hand value (definitely excluding the 19" Pretoria).

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Quote Originally Posted by Fastygolf7half View Post
    ... DO NOT buy any OEM wheels…
    Why not OEM?
    I think Fasty's referring to the cheap OEM copies. There was a big expose of this done a while back by Mercedes/Holden and tested the OEM wheels vs. the cheap knock-offs. The cheap copies basically shattered when they hit a pothole.

There's several articles written around the same tests but do your research and only buy genuine (second-hand genuine) rather than cheap knock-offs which often use inferior casting processes and don't have the same strength.

Link to one article here: Why you shouldn’t buy knock-off wheels

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Anyone heard of or used Inforged wheels? I really like the design of their IFG39 wheel in silver IFG39 | alloy wheels,car wheels,rims,car rims,mag wheels,custom wheels .

The Mk7 GTI PP I recently purchased has 3x badly rashed wheels (which formed part of the negotiation process), and I was going to get them refurbished - but the price I got for the refurb range between $300-350 per rim. At that price, I may as well buy new rims which have a better offset and are a design I actually like.

So with a price of around $400-500 per rim, in a 19x8.5 size and a clean and simple spoke design - what can be recommended? I do not like black wheels, and want to stay away from machined wheels - so painted silver or grey wheels please.

Other styles I like:
    Rotiform KPS ROTIFORM KPS 19X8.5 5X112 SILVER - WHEEL - East Coast Tyre & Auto
    Koya SF11 SF11 19″ 20″ Semi Forged (Custom-Fit) - Koya Wheels
    Niche Targa NICHE TARGA 19X8.5 5X112 MATTE GUN METAL - WHEEL - East Coast Tyre & Auto
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 07-09-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I went Rotiform SPF, 1lb lighter than KPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    OEM is fine unless you're looking to drop some weight for a performance application (although very few look any good these days.. but I appreciate that is subjective)...
    I totally agree that most of the VW OEM wheels are not the best looking. The only ones I like at all are maybe the Pretorias, so I'm thinking of changing to those. (Currently have the Spielbergs which look a bit silly to me. I'm hoping they'll grow on me, but so far they haven't)

I contacted VW a while ago and was quoted about $400 a wheel for the 18" Pretorias, and $2000+ per wheel for the 19".

Has anyone switched to the 18" Pretorias? How do they look? I can't find any photos anywhere. Only 19".

I'd like to stick to OEM wheels.

I dislike the Spielbergs so much, I might be crazy enough to fork out for the 19", but only as a last resort at that price. Anyone know if I could get these locally, or the best way to get them?
    Last edited by Golf R 2020; 07-09-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Anyone heard of or used Inforged wheels? I really like the design of their IFG39 wheel in silver IFG39 | alloy wheels,car wheels,rims,car rims,mag wheels,custom wheels .

The Mk7 GTI PP I recently purchased has 3x badly rashed wheels (which formed part of the negotiation process), and I was going to get them refurbished - but the price I got for the refurb range between $300-350 per rim. At that price, I may as well buy new rims which have a better offset and are a design I actually like.

So with a price of around $400-500 per rim, in a 19x8.5 size and a clean and simple spoke design - what can be recommended? I do not like black wheels, and want to stay away from machined wheels - so painted silver or grey wheels please.

Other styles I like:
    Rotiform KPS ROTIFORM KPS 19X8.5 5X112 SILVER - WHEEL - East Coast Tyre & Auto
    Koya SF11 SF11 19″ 20″ Semi Forged (Custom-Fit) - Koya Wheels
    Niche Targa NICHE TARGA 19X8.5 5X112 MATTE GUN METAL - WHEEL - East Coast Tyre & Auto
    Haven't seen the InForged - but they're sitting on the oxwheels site which I always saw as trying to make a weak attempt at playing on the OZ logo.

I know the Rotiforms aren't light but definitely have got a good rep for strength and finish, Koya seems to pop up a bit more these days. I always thought Enkei were a great price/quality point, but not sure what they do in 19 and whether it still comes in on budget.

I'd say Neuspeed but unfortunately between freight, the exchange rate and local distribution they've ended up being quite an overpriced wheel locally.

Users Country Flag

I totally agree that most of the VW OEM wheels are not the best looking. The only ones I like at all are maybe the Pretorias, so I'm thinking of changing to those. (Currently have the Spielbergs which look a bit silly to me. I'm hoping they'll grow on me, but so far they haven't)

I contacted VW a while ago and was quoted about $400 a wheel for the 18" Pretorias, and $2000+ per wheel for the 19".

Has anyone switched to the 18" Pretorias? How do they look? I can't find any photos anywhere. Only 19".

I'd like to stick to OEM wheels.

I dislike the Spielbergs so much, I might be crazy enough to fork out for the 19", but only as a last resort at that price. Anyone know if I could get these locally, or the best way to get them?
    You're only partly crazy.

The 18" are only cast, but if you want the design/keep OEM/happy to drop to 18" which itself is not a bad thing then it might still be an option. They're a common option (and dodgy non-OEM copy for winter wheels) overseas so there will be examples in the Mk7 wheel thread or overseas forums/google.

The 19" are forged but stupidly priced whether from the dealer or the second hand market (do not pay $3k for a second hand set). ECS Tuning does a set for probably $5-5.5k new (AUD) - that's some serious coin that is better spent on a much better set of high end wheels whatever takes your fancy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast