Thread: Advice regarding broken down GTI MK7.5

Users Country Flag

Question Advice regarding broken down GTI MK7.5

Hi all,

Lurker, first time poster.

My late 2018 GTI MK7.5 broke down a week ago. Error alarms as I unlock the car and open the door, message displayed on the digital dash "Error: Steering Lock". Vehicle won't start. Stuck in park. and Handbrake engaged.

Called VW assist. Took them almost 3 hours to get there. Couldn't get it started. Tow truck scheduled for next day. Tow truck arrived 2 hours late. Couldn't get it out of park, or get electronic handbrake off. Had to be towed on a dolley.

Car has been with VW for a week. Not even so much as a call from them to provide an update or an ETA. Each time i call them, someone isn't around and they claim they'll call me back.. No calls returned.

What would you do in this situation?

I am now a week without my car. I am really disappointed with this whole experience. because a) it's relatively new, has done less than 12,000 kms c) Had to wait no less than 5 hours beside my car on those stinking hot victorian days last week. I know this isn't really the fault of VW, but adds to the customer experience. and c) VW have not met expectations in terms of customer service in this instance. At least provide me with a call to let me know what's going on!

Users Country Flag
    Call them, don't expect them to be on the ball. Where's my car, when can I expect it back ? Worst case they are waiting on parts from Singapore or Germany.
    Either way they can tell you how long it will be.

I had the same thing happen with my Volvo XC90, except it was in my carport and they couldn't lift it to get it out. It happened on a Sunday afternoon, I called the local dealer in Brighton on Monday morning and the service manager came to my house, replaced a part, then they bought a new car around and took mine away for a day to do a deeper inspection. It was a physical component on the steering lock that needed to be replaced. Needless to say it goes back there for servicing when the time comes.

Users Country Flag
    Call Volkswagen Customer Service, 1800 607 822 explain the situation to them calmly, they will contact the dealer and get back to you with the details.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

As Sydneykid says, escalate the problem. If VW customer service don't get back to you, ring the dealer and refuse to accept the "someone isn't around" excuse and escalate up the chain of command (eg service manager, dealer principal). Stay polite but be insistent, and don't let them fob you off. If telephoning doesn't work visit in person and do the same.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

I would be at the dealer asking the question to the service manager and want a loan car as well. If that does not work call VW and hand the phone to the service advisor on hands free so you can hear both sides of the conversation. No need to start yelling and screaming just yet but I would want a loan car and then they can take as long as they like to fix it.