Thread: Advice on real world economy after remap and mods

Advice on real world economy after remap and mods

Hey guys. I've been driving a polo 77tsi for the last 5 years and average about 6l/100. It has 160k and still going strong.

I've recently sold a heavily modified Megane that was a weekend car and trying to decide what's next.

I'm in 2 minds. I want an RS3 , my plan was to buy one do a remap, cooler, dump pipe ect . As a weekend car.

But I'm starting to consider a 2nd hard mk7 GTI in manual ( I can claim the daily on tax. Weekend car I can't) dump, cooler air intake and a remap.
    Selling off the polo and using the GTI as a daily instead of having a weekend car that gets 5k a year.

So I am hoping someone has some long term fuel figures. I do give it too my cars but 80% of time I'm on the freeway or in traffic.

I'd love to have a fun daily again. Rather thank a quick car in the garage that looks good.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers. Mark.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lush4 View Post
    Hey guys. I've been driving a polo 77tsi for the last 5 years and average about 6l/100. It has 160k and still going strong.

I've recently sold a heavily modified Megane that was a weekend car and trying to decide what's next.

I'm in 2 minds. I want an RS3 , my plan was to buy one do a remap, cooler, dump pipe ect . As a weekend car.

But I'm starting to consider a 2nd hard mk7 GTI in manual ( I can claim the daily on tax. Weekend car I can't) dump, cooler air intake and a remap.
    Selling off the polo and using the GTI as a daily instead of having a weekend car that gets 5k a year.

So I am hoping someone has some long term fuel figures. I do give it too my cars but 80% of time I'm on the freeway or in traffic.

I'd love to have a fun daily again. Rather thank a quick car in the garage that looks good.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers. Mark.
    Hi Mark
    Mk6 stage 1 city 9l per100km , rural 6.2l manual i like to push it

Mk7 city 8.4l , rural , 6.0l manual spirited driving at about 110kmh , again iam not economy minded , i could do better if i backed off .

Mk 7 is a great car .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Users Country Flag
    My EA888 1.8tsi definitely improved the fuel economy on the highway and in light flowing traffic with the remap (and several other mods).

In stop/start traffic it got worse and when giving it the beans. You can't change physics.

When I was doing 25,000km/yr fuel was still a very small part of my vehicle costs. Depreciation was much worse and insurance came 2nd.

Fuel is cheap in Australia and look at the joy it gives.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Remaps in flowing traffic and highways are really good on fuel in stop/start city driving not so much
    My oil burner gets 7.3 average on the highway its 6.1 in heavy traffic its 9 to 10 ltr /100k
    Would assume the petrol will act similar
    Worth it in every way as far as i am concerned puts a smile on my face everyday

Users Country Flag
    My MK7 R APR stage 1 gets around 9.8-11L / 100 in town stop start, highway with a bit of downhill I've seen this figure drop to as low as 7L (westgate inbound to the city with low traffic)

Usually the average is around 8.2 - 8.7 on the freeway, still freaking amazing figures for an AWD car with the same power as a V8
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    My 145TSI manual MK7.5 (stock 110TSI with OEM+ ECU tune) does 6.7l/100km in peak hour traffic (did the daily 35km round trip commute in it) and low 5s, high4s on the highway. It does 0-100 in about 6.6s and is a delight to drive. It's not only lighter on fuel than the diesels, but quicker too

Stock for now R is struggling to get less than 11l/100km on the same commute but it still needs to loosen up.

Tuned Amarok (with a MK6 GTI engine from the factory and APR tune) is actually a tiny bit heavier on fuel than stock, 8.2l/100km (vs 7.7l/100km) on the high way at 110.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 06-03-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

2014 Mk7 GTI manual, APR Stage 1 tune for approx 2 years, no noticeable change to fuel economy, approx 7.5L per 100Km, mostly city driving.
    2014 Mk7 Golf GTI
    2003 Mk4 Golf