Support VWWC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Control - Golf 7.5

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch204 View Post
    Headlights turn and dips in road are responded to ?????
    Google predictive ACC I saw a film of it once explaining all what it does But only if car has electronics to do it and Im not sure if Aus ones do
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    We have never been happy with much ofthe paranoid over-cautious behaviour of the ACC (i.e. ActiveCruise Control, not to be confused with Automatic AirCon). In “Individual” mode, we have tried Normal, Sport andComfort and find Comfort is the smoothest overall.
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by notaGolfR View Post
    We have never been happy with much ofthe paranoid over-cautious behaviour of the ACC (i.e. ActiveCruise Control, not to be confused with Automatic AirCon). In “Individual” mode, we have tried Normal, Sport andComfort and find Comfort is the smoothest overall.
    Well if you had it set to comfort in QLD thre would be cars fighting to get between you and the car in front. I have mine set to closest and dont have any troubles. It slows up nicely if traffic is slower and when it clears it pulls up to selected speed nicely

No individual mode in a Tiguan just varying degrees of closeness

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well if you had it set to comfort in QLD thre would be cars fighting to get between you and the car in front. I have mine set to closest and dont have any troubles. It slows up nicely if traffic is slower and when it clears it pulls up to selected speed nicely

No individual mode in a Tiguan just varying degrees of closeness
    If you mean comfort is slower to reach the set distance, I haven't noticed it. I left the distance at whatever it was before setting to Comfort. It is pulling up smoother behind stationary cars mostly but not always. If a car turns off left or right it slows less abruptly and seems to resume sooner. It's simple to try so give it a go.
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag
    It is pulling up smoother behind stationary cars mostly but not always. If a car turns off left or right it slows less abruptly and seems to resume sooner. It's simple to try so give it a go.
    notaGolfR: I'm not sure that I entirely understand your issue, but are you aware a (supposed) feature of ACC called overtaking right prevention? I call it a "supposed" feature because IMHO it's anything but a feature!!

As the name implies, the (supposed) feature is intended for overtaking, but I suspect it also applies when a "car [in front] turns left, or right".

When overtaking a slower vehicle with ACC switched-on, overtaking right prevention will not allow the car to accelerate (without manual pedal push) until it is completely in the other lane and the front camera no longer sees the car in front.

If you think about what's happening in terms of relativity (the Einstein kind) - it shouldn't matter for overtaking right prevention whether its the car behind that changes lanes, or the car in front that changes lanes; the ACC system sees the car in-front doing the same thing in either scenario - because either way, the car in front exists the monitoring camera's vision and ACC needs to adjust to a completely new environment while the car is traveling at speed.

The difference between overtaking and the front car turning really is about what ACC knows of the event. When overtaking, your car knows that the steering angle has changed and that the blinker has been activated (maybe). I reckon that this results in no acceleration of the car (until the car in front is no longer seen by ACC) from the (supposed) feature.

However, when the car in front changes lane, all of the feedback signals in your car that changed in the overtaking scenario stay the same. Hence (I suspect) the application of the car's brakes by the (supposed) feature as the ACC re-establishes its new operating parameters - perhaps? This doesn't happen in any other scenario while ACC is active (in the case where the car in front is slow and suddenly picks-up speed, the car is still in the monitoring camera's field of vision).

So, it could well be this (supposed) feature that is causing your observations (and your angst)

The good news is that the (supposed) feature can be easily disabled if you have access to a diagnostic cable - I did this immediately after I got my car. The software switch that turns this (supposed) feature ON/OFF is hex13 module, Byte 2, Bit 5!

My suggestion (for what it's worth) is to toggle this switch to the OFF state and see if the car still behaves in the same way. It's an easy try and it's entirely reversible if you want to retain the (supposed) feature - albeit I don't know why anyone would want to keep it activated!!

Don
    PS: whilst the name of the (supposed) feature has the word "right", it equally applies to overtaking on the left and it also applies to cars that have the steering wheel installed on the passenger side
    Last edited by DV52; 10-04-2021 at 01:24 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

I agree with Don, this no ACC undertaking permitted "feature" is a real PITA because so many Oz drivers believe it is their god-given right to sit in the overtaking lane forever, even though they are travelling at a speed significantly lower then the speed limit and are overtaking precisely zero other vehicles. I also had my R coded to allow ACC to undertake these turkeys if needed.

[end rant]
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    My 7.5 R does apply brake on certain cornering. The ACC works perfectly and seems to brake fine behind stationary vehicles.
    What I’ve noticed though is Autonomous Emergency Braking doesn’t seem to work when ACC is disengaged and I thought it was meant to?
    I naturally don’t expect to rely on it but I’ve tested it to beyond my comfort zone... Maybe get checked at service?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    notaGolfR: I'm not sure that I entirely understand your issue, but are you aware a (supposed) feature of ACC called overtaking right prevention? I call it a "supposed" feature because IMHO it's anything but a feature!!

As the name implies, the (supposed) feature is intended for overtaking, but I suspect it also applies when a "car [in front] turns left, or right".

When overtaking a slower vehicle with ACC switched-on, overtaking right prevention will not allow the car to accelerate (without manual pedal push) until it is completely in the other lane and the front camera no longer sees the car in front.

If you think about what's happening in terms of relativity (the Einstein kind) - it shouldn't matter for overtaking right prevention whether its the car behind that changes lanes, or the car in front that changes lanes; the ACC system sees the car in-front doing the same thing in either scenario - because either way, the car in front exists the monitoring camera's vision and ACC needs to adjust to a completely new environment while the car is traveling at speed.

The difference between overtaking and the front car turning really is about what ACC knows of the event. When overtaking, your car knows that the steering angle has changed and that the blinker has been activated (maybe). I reckon that this results in no acceleration of the car (until the car in front is no longer seen by ACC) from the (supposed) feature.

However, when the car in front changes lane, all of the feedback signals in your car that changed in the overtaking scenario stay the same. Hence (I suspect) the application of the car's brakes by the (supposed) feature as the ACC re-establishes its new operating parameters - perhaps? This doesn't happen in any other scenario while ACC is active (in the case where the car in front is slow and suddenly picks-up speed, the car is still in the monitoring camera's field of vision).

So, it could well be this (supposed) feature that is causing your observations (and your angst)

The good news is that the (supposed) feature can be easily disabled if you have access to a diagnostic cable - I did this immediately after I got my car. The software switch that turns this (supposed) feature ON/OFF is hex13 module, Byte 2, Bit 5!

My suggestion (for what it's worth) is to toggle this switch to the OFF state and see if the car still behaves in the same way. It's an easy try and it's entirely reversible if you want to retain the (supposed) feature - albeit I don't know why anyone would want to keep it activated!!

Don
    PS: whilst the name of the (supposed) feature has the word "right", it equally applies to overtaking on the left and it also applies to cars that have the steering wheel installed on the passenger side
    BRILLIANT and an HUGE thanks Don/DV52. I had never connected the concept of overtaking right prevention (or left) as the cause of my angst and never picked up on it in any of my research. I am sure you have nailed it.

Then you went the next yard with thorough explanation. THEN you went the next MILE with the software tweak, and, once again (as a tweak-everything tragic) that was the first mention I'd seen. I can't wait to try it and pray that it can apply to the Golf R.

Users Country Flag
    One further question Don. I don't understand where you say hex13 module, Byte 2, Bit 5! That sounds like you hacked into the coding rather than using an interface or something?
    And is the "!" after the "5" correct.

When I had my "Easy seat entry assistance" tweak done, the instructions said "do the following steps:1. Module #36 Seats
    2. Coding
    3. Long coding helper (if you get a popup just click ok)
    4. Tick Byte 3 Bit 1
    5. Tick Byte 9 Bit 6 (this allows you to activate/deactivate "Seat Entry Assistant" on the car menu display)
    6. Exit
    7. Do it! (Note: Good idea to take a picture of the computer screen first in case something goes wrong)
    8. Car ignition Off, Car On
    9. In the car's screen touch Menu "Vehicle Settings" and you can now Tap "Seats"
    10. "Seat Settings, Entry Assistance" Tap "Driver Seat""

Can the "overtaking right prevention" be done in a similar way?

Users Country Flag

One further question Don. I don't understand where you say hex13 module, Byte 2, Bit 5! That sounds like you hacked into the coding rather than using an interface or something?
    And is the "!" after the "5" correct.

When I had my "Easy seat entry assistance" tweak done, the instructions said "do the following steps:1. Module #36 Seats
    2. Coding
    3. Long coding helper (if you get a popup just click ok)
    4. Tick Byte 3 Bit 1
    5. Tick Byte 9 Bit 6 (this allows you to activate/deactivate "Seat Entry Assistant" on the car menu display)
    6. Exit
    7. Do it! (Note: Good idea to take a picture of the computer screen first in case something goes wrong)
    8. Car ignition Off, Car On
    9. In the car's screen touch Menu "Vehicle Settings" and you can now Tap "Seats"
    10. "Seat Settings, Entry Assistance" Tap "Driver Seat""

Can the "overtaking right prevention" be done in a similar way?
    Well firstly its Overtaking on the LEFT that it prevents here and yes it can

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast