Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Cruise Control - Golf 7.5

Users Country Flag

Adaptive Cruise Control - Golf 7.5

Quote Originally Posted by ABCD View Post
    Hi all OP here and thanks for the replies. My reference for my original query is a 2015 E class Mercedes that I happened across for a few days earlier this year and got to fiddle with a lot of its gadgetry including MB's version of ACC. My initial recollection was that the Merc could when ACC active recognise stationary vehicles. However reading a few of your responses I am now beginning to wonder whether my recall might be inaccurate ie that the Mercedes was being slowed and comfortably brought to a complete stop by the car that it was "locked" in to, as opposed to the scenario I originally posed ie belting along in an empty lane with ACC active and being able to recognise and respond to an already stationary car in the distance.
    Exactly. I’ve just sold a 2014 Mercedes A-Class, and moved into a 2017 Mk 7.5 Golf. The M-B active cruise control performed similarly to the Golf ACC. If you’re locked on to a preceding vehicle, it’ll bring you to a stop behind him. But if he’s already stopped, beyond radar range, it won’t.

This makes sense - as you wouldn’t expect it to brake you to a stop approaching an empty T-junction with, say, trees on the far side. The radar can only identify its target as a car if there is a speed differential of < your speed between you and him. If he’s doing 10kmh and you’re approaching from directly behind at 80kmh, difference (80-10) = 70, therefore target must be moving, ie: a car. If he’s stopped, and you’re approaching at 80kmh, difference (80-0) = 80, therefore target could be a road sign or a brick wall or a tree, so, as the system can’t positively identify the target as a car, it doesn’t slow you down. You wouldn’t want it to, otherwise as soon as the radar beam happened to pass through ANY stationary object it’d be jumping on the brakes.

Disclaimer: I’ve used various aircraft radars for the last 30+ years, and my thinking is based on the fact that the underlying physics involved in the design of MB/VW car’s cruise control radar must be the same.

A.
    MY14 M-B A200CDI

Users Country Flag
    from the user manual......

- Emergency Braking at Low Speed
    if risk of collision between 5 to 45 km/h - the system triggers automatic braking.

- Advance Warning
    advance/pre warning is triggered when risk of collision with a moving object when travelling between 30 to 210 km/h. no braking is applied.
    advance/pre warning is triggered when risk of collision with a stationary object when travelling between 30 to 85 km/h. no braking is applied.

- Automatic Braking
    if the driver does not react to the advance warning with a moving object, the system begins to automatically brake.
    if the driver does not react to the advance warning with a stationay object, the system begins to automatically brake in a speed range of 30 to 60km/h.

- Brake Assist
    if the driver brakes inadequately with an impending collision, the system automatically increases the braking force.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

With ACC and cruise control set at 100kmh my Golf R Grid will apply brake if there is a corner I can comfortably take at say 60kmh...normal?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch204 View Post
    With ACC and cruise control set at 100kmh my Golf R Grid will apply brake if there is a corner I can comfortably take at say 60kmh...normal?
    Good luck with that
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Good luck with that
    Meaning????

Users Country Flag
    Meaning????
    If you set your cruise at a speed it maintains that everywhere unless there are vehicles in front of you .It doesnt slow down for corners. At least mine which I have been using for 8 years doesnt. If a sharp corner comes up i have to over ride it.

Maybe the ACC can't figure out where to steer or the steering angle is beyond it's safe working parameters ? I'm like Hillbilly, if it is a sharp corner I prefer to be 100% in control (admittedly I'm a control freak)
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Cheers..must speak to VW...no cars in front, easy corner, it's just like car dabs on brakes, maintaining cruise control.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Maybe the ACC can't figure out where to steer or the steering angle is beyond it's safe working parameters ? I'm like Hillbilly, if it is a sharp corner I prefer to be 100% in control (admittedly I'm a control freak)

Users Country Flag
    Cheers..must speak to VW...no cars in front, easy corner, it's just like car dabs on brakes, maintaining cruise control.
    I doubt it very much with yours but Arteons in some cases have PREDICTIVE ACC which can virtually read the road and the headlights turn for the corners and so may the ACC. Not sure if AUS models do have it enabled though

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I doubt it very much with yours but Arteons in some cases have PREDICTIVE ACC which can virtually read the road and the headlights turn for the corners and so may the ACC. Not sure if AUS models do have it enabled though
    Headlights turn and dips in road are responded to ?????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast