Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.5 GTI low speed sounds

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Just some thoughts (diagnosing via internet is always a bit dodgy when operating on minimal info):

- Brakes binding or not immediately releasing (doesn't sound like the wet pads rusting onto disc issue, as that is usually just a single "bang" then nothing)

- Clutch take-up vibration

- Soft/broken engine or gearbox mounts (or extra hard aftermarket ones causing increased NVH)
    It’s a 2019 GTI with 27,000km using the oem castrol spec engine oil

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumdeedumdum View Post
    It’s a 2019 GTI with 27,000km using the oem castrol spec engine oil
    cars prob too fresh to have intake caking but could be possible on cylinder one if you've been babying it.

also that castrol oem oil is a nightmare i got a fill oil light after 1500km when i bought the car new and then at around 3500 again... dumped it for shell and the oil barely needed a topup until oil change..... even tried castrol again for 1 refill at around 80,000kms because it was dirt cheap and found engine was making funny noises and dipstick level was dropping ever month so it definately has some quality issues... surprised they made it OEM

u should try dumping the castrol and refilling with penrite enviro+ 504.507 or shell 504.507 (cant remember the exact one u need to google it) and see if it fixes up that engine behaviour on cold start and low speeds... could be an easy fix at 50- 70 for the oil and ull find ur car will perform better anyway.

From my personal experience with the ea888 engine these are the 2 best oils ive used so far that have the engine running smooth everytime all the time, little to no truck noises on cold start / warmup (aslong as oil level correct) and usually good to drive from cold .... had heaps of issues with castrol and now trying nulon 504.507.... finding that to be inferior to penrite and shell... not as bad as castrol tho but engine needs extra warming and then its good.

another issue can be your spark plug gapping leading to slightly choppy engine... do u know how to get to them?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    or shell 504.507 (cant remember the exact one u need to google it)
    shell 0w-30 ect c2/c3

Shell Helix ULTRA Engine Oil - 0w30 ECT c2/c3 - 5 litre | eBay

If anyone is still keeping up with this thread I’ve got an update. It was a broken thermostat that was leaking - and also my IE intake. Vibrations went away once I put the cover on.

Users Country Flag
    If anyone is still keeping up with this thread I’ve got an update. It was a broken thermostat that was leaking - and also my IE intake. Vibrations went away once I put the cover on.
    I wish you had mentioned in your original post that you had the IE intake, because I have the same intake and it does rattle sometimes when taking off from a standstill. Ive put some little rubber mounts at certain points on the intake shroud where it contacts parts of the car and its stopped the rattle now.

Good to hear its sorted anyway.

As for the leaking thermostat - very common on these engines. You will be replacing it again in a few years time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Thumbs down

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12