Thread: 3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R

3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R

Looked around for mounts that had the usb connection and didn't see any I liked. I contemplated the proclip (or similar) but the mount sits quite low so intrudes on the passenger if they want to have their knees out and not as ideal a height. The vent mounted options would mean blocking a cent or heating/cooling the phone. As well as them costing me far more.

This mounts in the crack/gap between the radio fascia and the side trim. No tape, no screws, just tucked in behind the radio trim before it gets put back on. Pretty easy job to mount.

Where to from here. Hide the cable better. I ran it out a drilled hole at the back of the cubby so that works well, however I didn't remove any side trim just yet so the cable comes out the bottom of the passenger trim. I will also get a better finish on the print. It's in PETG so should be fine for our summer.

Good height, good angle, not intrusive for the passenger and all dials/buttons still accessible. Only the volume not so good for the passenger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R-win_20200328_09_11_13_pro-jpg   3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R-20200328_085351-jpg  

3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R-20200328_085231-jpg   3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R-20200328_085407-jpg  

3d printed phone mount in my mk7 R-20200328_085330-jpg  

Oh and also, new phone and I reprint the cradle part only (screwed to the mount). The proclip ones that are adjustable drop in style are bulky and that's where I initially almost bought.

This cradle is just a matter of dropping the phone in and thats it, android auto shows up.

Users Country Flag
    Great work! Sanded down and spray painted it would have that oem feel.

I was going to buy the proclip variety early on but the over $200 price tag was just too much, not to mention i could see it getting knocked by passengers. Ended up getting one of these https://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F7U017/ which works rather well but is not single handed dropin and go.. you still need to fumble with the cable.
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

So far it has worked really well. On occasions I have to make a point to push the phone down onto the usb plug, but usually it just drops in easily. The plastic part that goes in the gap between the two trims is only 1mm thick so I was worried it would vibrate around. It doesn't move much so happy with the outcome.

I have redone the mount into the dash so the phone is a little better angle.

It doesn't interfere with the knees like the proclip appears to do as you indicated.

I have used a program called tasker (on android only) that when it detects the ignition is off and bluetooth disconnected then it announces ot take my phone so I don't forget it stuck on the dashboard.

Users Country Flag
    Looks good. I’ve been wanting to find something for my Polo, but I don’t have a 3D printer.

Ben
    Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

I have now changed the part that goes in between the radio and dash trim to metal, as the plastic one at only 1mm thick was a little flimsy. Was pretty easy to bend that up. The cradle itself, well yes that needs a 3d printer.

I'd be happy to share the 3d model for the cradle if anyone was interested but its for a s9+ only.