Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 245 instead of 235. whos done it, golf r / cadiz

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    397
    Users Country Flag

    245 instead of 235. whos done it, golf r / cadiz

    saw this floating around in this forum and now thinking of doing this on 19" cadiz with golf r.. whos done it and how did they find it?
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    397
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    anyone?
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,359
    Watch out the different profile doesn't rub (IIRC there is a mod to remove the screw that usually rubs). If the rolling diameter is different it may affect the accuracy of your speedo.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    397
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Watch out the different profile doesn't rub (IIRC there is a mod to remove the screw that usually rubs). If the rolling diameter is different it may affect the accuracy of your speedo.
    from what ive read it makes the speedo closer to real speed with 245... just want to see if anyone done this on the golf r ... seen alot for skoda
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,083
    Users Country Flag
    What is the reasoning behind wanting 245's? Because 235/35 is a more common tyre size so there will be more brands to choose from and prices will be cheaper.

    Will a 245 fit on the rim? Will a 245 rub on the guards at the front?
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    397
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    What is the reasoning behind wanting 245's? Because 235/35 is a more common tyre size so there will be more brands to choose from and prices will be cheaper.

    Will a 245 fit on the rim? Will a 245 rub on the guards at the front?

    reasoning is as stated... the speedo on the dash is closer to actual driving speed... slighly more rubber too after having a blow out on the freeway could have a bit more extra meat on the low profile
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,083
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    reasoning is as stated... the speedo on the dash is closer to actual driving speed... slighly more rubber too after having a blow out on the freeway could have a bit more extra meat on the low profile
    The tiny sidewall increase and slight overall rolling diameter increase may be fine or may be just enough to start rubbing on the inner guards etc. I know a lot of people with the GTI's (myself included) go from the factory 225/35 to a 235/35 and they fit fine because the Golf R comes with 235/35's, but cant say ive heard of anyone trying to go to a 245/35 size.

    Is your car lowered or factory height? If you are factory height then you would have a better chance of them fitting without issue. Also, do you have spacers on your factory rims or not?
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    397
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The tiny sidewall increase and slight overall rolling diameter increase may be fine or may be just enough to start rubbing on the inner guards etc. I know a lot of people with the GTI's (myself included) go from the factory 225/35 to a 235/35 and they fit fine because the Golf R comes with 235/35's, but cant say ive heard of anyone trying to go to a 245/35 size.

    Is your car lowered or factory height? If you are factory height then you would have a better chance of them fitting without issue.
    suspension / springs r stock
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,083
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    suspension / springs r stock
    If your suspension etc is stock then you have the best chance of having a 245/35 work. But you might still be a guinea pig testing it out.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    397
    Users Country Flag Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If your suspension etc is stock then you have the best chance of having a 245/35 work. But you might still be a guinea pig testing it out.

    willing to try on the next lot of tyres.. unfortunately already have 1 new 235 on the car and 1 waiting due to 1 newish / middle worn tyre blowing out on the freeway. so next 2 will be 235 aswell.... thinking of getting a spare set of rims and putting 245 on them for extra comfort
    2015 GOLF R. 98 OCTANE FUEL & 2 BOTTLES OF OCTANE BOOSTER ON EVERY TANK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |