Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 245 instead of 235. whos done it, golf r / cadiz

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    can anybody here with golf R clearly state that riding on 18s is more comfortable than the 19s?
    I can confirm that it's helped on every car I've done it on. You DO lose some steering/handling sharpness because the sidewalls are taller and more flexible, and some people dislike the look because the wheels don't fill the wheel arches as fully (I don't just look at the wheels, I look at the tyres as well, particularly so when you have dark wheels), but in the end, the benefits for me have always been better cost, cheaper wheels (or I can go higher quality at a smaller size - I went for Koya semi-forged on my Stinger, STI wheels from Japan on the Liberty), but in a stiffly sprung/suspended car (the Stinger was stupidly stiff in sports mode to the point it was unusable on even moderately bad roads because it tossed you around so much to make car control tricky, but on the 18" wheels, sports mode is usable again), this can actually help as it gives you a little more progressiveness. I can't see how it would not have some impact on the Golf - the question will be how much, and that will depend on the suspension tune amongst other things.

When I had the Bora, it had 16" wheels stock, and I actually went up to 17" wheels (there was an OEM 17" wheel option which I went for, before going to the Beetle RSI wheels which was basically a 17" version of the 18" wheels found on Mk4 R32s), and I found that this didn't have a significant negative impact on ride quality but made a massive difference in terms of handling.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    I can confirm that it's helped on every car I've done it on. You DO lose some steering/handling sharpness because the sidewalls are taller and more flexible, and some people dislike the look because the wheels don't fill the wheel arches as fully (I don't just look at the wheels, I look at the tyres as well, particularly so when you have dark wheels), but in the end, the benefits for me have always been better cost, cheaper wheels (or I can go higher quality at a smaller size - I went for Koya semi-forged on my Stinger, STI wheels from Japan on the Liberty), but in a stiffly sprung/suspended car (the Stinger was stupidly stiff in sports mode to the point it was unusable on even moderately bad roads because it tossed you around so much to make car control tricky, but on the 18" wheels, sports mode is usable again), this can actually help as it gives you a little more progressiveness. I can't see how it would not have some impact on the Golf - the question will be how much, and that will depend on the suspension tune amongst other things.

When I had the Bora, it had 16" wheels stock, and I actually went up to 17" wheels (there was an OEM 17" wheel option which I went for, before going to the Beetle RSI wheels which was basically a 17" version of the 18" wheels found on Mk4 R32s), and I found that this didn't have a significant negative impact on ride quality but made a massive difference in terms of handling.
    all noted. might have to find a set of 18s somewhere and give em a try.. was always keen to try smaller rims for ease of living on the dodgy roads but never got around to it..

anyone know where you can pick up VWR multispoke rims for decent price? or someone interested in selling?

If you do end up wanting to go down the 245 path let me know I'll be selling a set of conti sportcontact 6's cheap. 1 week old and only did 400km before I switched them out for 235's.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by maraach View Post
    If you do end up wanting to go down the 245 path let me know I'll be selling a set of conti sportcontact 6's cheap. 1 week old and only did 400km before I switched them out for 235's.
    whyd u switch to 235?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123