Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 245 instead of 235. whos done it, golf r / cadiz

Stumbled across this thread.

I've got 235/35 on my 8.5" MTM rims on my golf mk7 and just bought a mk7.5 wagon which the other driver had fitted 245/35 on 8.5" momo wheels.

I'm actually torn with what to do as the wagon needs new tyres. I was told the 245's don't rub and I can see the screw mod hasn't been done. I did however have rubbing on my mk5 with 235 tyres so I find this challenging to believe - granted a different car.

So on worn 245's I don't seem to get any rub. I also don't really see a positive so will likely go back to 235's.

Just seeing you were looking to do this on cadiz... I'm not sure as an 8" rim that would fit great. But let's see if others have done it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by maraach View Post
    Just seeing you were looking to do this on cadiz... I'm not sure as an 8" rim that would fit great. But let's see if others have done it.
    well just any feedback is good & appreciated but ive got cadiz in particular so thought maybe a few guys on here might have done it as its the stock rim... looks like the skoda 206 guys are doing it and saying its good / comfort and more precise speedo reading.

wondering if maybe the bigger tyre provides more comfort when hitting little bits on the road that the standard 19' on 235 doesnt like so much

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    well just any feedback is good & appreciated but ive got cadiz in particular so thought maybe a few guys on here might have done it as its the stock rim... looks like the skoda 206 guys are doing it and saying its good / comfort and more precise speedo reading.

wondering if maybe the bigger tyre provides more comfort when hitting little bits on the road that the standard 19' on 235 doesnt like so much
    I have 245 0n GTI with 8.5 inch rims. No Rubbing slight ride difference and looks better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    I have 245 0n GTI with 8.5 inch rims. No Rubbing slight ride difference and looks better IMO.
    sounds good , dont think theres going to be any "rubbing" with a slightly bigger tyre tbh when guys are dropping their suspension by 20mm and its fine.. so good to hear that against what some people on this forum put out there.

how is the comfort /quality of the ride over ****tier roads... any difference?

Users Country Flag
    There was a tyre size calculator online that actually told you how much closer to suspension/guards/etc a given wheel and tyre combo was when compared to stock. I can't find it now, but what it meant was that you could literally go and measure a proposed set of tyres against your current ones and know (within reason, different manufacturers tyres of a given size can actually have slight variations between them) what the impact will be.

One example (without the handy "how it sits compared to the car bit): Tyre Size Calculator (use the comparison section)

Ah, here's the one I was thinking of: Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of changing tyre size/profile (within reason) to suit requirements. I ran 235/45R17s on the Bora (stock were 225/40R17 IIRC) as it was a much more common tyre size, on a 7.5" rim (Bora Sports). I did the same with the Liberty GT Spec.B when I had it (same spec and wheel size as the Bora, oddly, though the CB and offsets were quite different), and am currently running 235/40R18 wheels on the Stinger (vs the 215/35R19 and 245/30R19 stock "staggered" setup).

One of the things I'm considering for the Arteon Shooting Brake is downsizing the wheels from stock (as with careful selection you can generally get good wheels and tyres cheaper in a more popular size than the stock tyres alone), and I'm big on wheel downsizing to give just a little more sidewall.

Be aware in your case that if you're going from 235/35 to 245/35, your sidewall will only be about 3.5mm taller (35% of the 1cm difference in tyre width), so it won't be a big deal - it may be enough for your requirements though.
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of changing tyre size/profile (within reason) to suit requirements. I ran 235/45R17s on the Bora (stock were 225/40R17 IIRC) as it was a much more common tyre size, on a 7.5" rim (Bora Sports). I did the same with the Liberty GT Spec.B when I had it (same spec and wheel size as the Bora, oddly, though the CB and offsets were quite different), and am currently running 235/40R18 wheels on the Stinger (vs the 215/35R19 and 245/30R19 stock "staggered" setup).

One of the things I'm considering for the Arteon Shooting Brake is downsizing the wheels from stock (as with careful selection you can generally get good wheels and tyres cheaper in a more popular size than the stock tyres alone), and I'm big on wheel downsizing to give just a little more sidewall.

Be aware in your case that if you're going from 235/35 to 245/35, your sidewall will only be about 3.5mm taller (35% of the 1cm difference in tyre width), so it won't be a big deal - it may be enough for your requirements though.
    could work well for a little bit of extra meat on the dodgy roads... seems like 1 small hit to these low profiles tyres or the sidewall and the tyres go out too easily or the rims buckle.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    could work well for a little bit of extra meat on the dodgy roads... seems like 1 small hit to these low profiles tyres or the sidewall and the tyres go out too easily or the rims buckle.
    That's another reason I'm considering downsizing - as long as smaller wheels fit over the brakes, it gives the wheels more of a chance of surviving. Potholes in Sydney are bloody atrocious at present after all the rain we had, a mate with a Passat on 20" rims buckled two rims badly on what looked like a relatively minor pothole.
    Nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    That's another reason I'm considering downsizing - as long as smaller wheels fit over the brakes, it gives the wheels more of a chance of surviving. Potholes in Sydney are bloody atrocious at present after all the rain we had, a mate with a Passat on 20" rims buckled two rims badly on what looked like a relatively minor pothole.
    yeh ive buckled a rim hard in sydney too... not sure what did it because it just started making a funny wurring noise out of nowhere but there are some nasty holes on parramatta rd left lane heading east that probably helped it on its way.. the amount of money payed for rego , tolls and all that **** and they keep main roads like that when the roads are basically empty at night ready to be fixed..

luckily it went out on the last day of my tyre and rim warranty and a local shop had 1 spare cadiz

was thinking about getting 18s for the same reason.... can anybody here with golf R clearly state that riding on 18s is more comfortable than the 19s?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast