Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 GTI - fuel consumption

2019 GTI - fuel consumption

Hey all

I’ve got a 2019 GTI with 13,000 on the clock. It used to get around 5.8L/100km on the freeway right up to about 10,000km. These days I’m lucky to get dip under 7.0L/100km.

The only change I’ve made to the car was replacing the stock 18s/Bridgestone S001s with the Brescia 19s/Michelin PS4S in February.

Surely this wouldn’t change fuel consumption so much?

Anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?

Other thoughts I had were tyre pressure, and switching to exclusively filling up at my local franchise BP....

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Different wheel circumference will definitely alter the computer readout speed, fuel consumption, etc.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Quote Originally Posted by phaeton View Post
    Different wheel circumference will definitely alter the computer readout speed, fuel consumption, etc.
    Yeah I wondered that, but the dealer said it makes no difference when I took it for a service last week. Plus I have been checking the computer readout by manually calculating consumption, and it’s bang on.

So the models have different computer settings from factory based on which wheels they have?

The PS4S tyres might have more rolling resistance than the S001s, but I wouldn't expect it to have a big affect.

What tyre pressure are you running ?

Cooler weather increases fuel consumption (as does rain, heavy traffic, higher speeds, more weight in car, driving styles etc)

Have you changed brands of petrol ? Anything with ethanol will use more fuel.

Most people find fuel consumption decreases (very) slightly when the car gets properly run in.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Yeah I was expecting it to keep dropping but it’s stubbornly sitting at 7.0 on identical drives that used to go down to 5.8.

I’ll try a different petrol station in case my local BP waters down their 98 lol

Running 41 psi all round

Users Country Flag
    I thought that it could be the width increase of the tyres (225 to 235?) that would affect fuel consumption. Surprised it would be that noticeable though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably combination of increased rolling resistance from more rubber on road with the extra width, a stickier rubber compound and ? more toe-in from the wider wheels.

2019 GTI - fuel consumption

Thanks for the comments.

Anybody here run the 2019 GTI with 19 wheels? What sort of consumption do you get?

(Note that my 5.8 on the 18s was achieved regularly at 110km/hr, the equivalent driving on 19s is getting me 7.0)

Side note: this isn’t any sort of complaint with the car, 7L/100km is still bloody good, was just curious if a setting needed to be adjusted or if there was an increase from running the Michelins

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by westenderbender View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

Anybody here run the 2019 GTI with 19 wheels? What sort of consumption do you get?

(Note that my 5.8 on the 18s was achieved regularly at 110km/hr, the equivalent driving on 19s is getting me 7.0)

Side note: this isn’t any sort of complaint with the car, 7L/100km is still bloody good, was just curious if a setting needed to be adjusted or if there was an increase from running the Michelins
    My Golf R stock Pretoria 19" 235/35/19 ContiContactSport 5P will return around +/- 6L /100km at 110km freeway cruise that's with DQ381 7 speed DSG if that helps, check wheel alignment I cannot see the change of wheel/tyres having a +1 l/100km difference.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

If you still have the old wheels & tyres it would be interesting to put them back on to eliminate the change in wheels as the cause for the increase in fuel consumption.

BTW 41psi seems a bit high for a GTI. I run 36psi all round on my heavier Golf R wagon.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast