Support VWWC

Thread: 2019 GTI blue smoke/EPC

Users Country Flag

2019 GTI blue smoke/EPC

Hi all

I was driving my 2019 GTI today and I noticed a sudden load of constant bluish smoke coming out of the back. An orange EPC light also came on and possibly entered limp home mode.

I stopped and turned the car off and had a dash message about Start/Stop error.

Car has been towed to the dealer.

Has anyone heard of this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo or overfull oil

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tw586 View Post
    turbo or overfull oil
    Hmm I did get an oil change at the first service but that was about a month ago

Users Country Flag
    That sounds like oil burning and coming out the exhaust....something isn't right. Hopefully the dealer will get it sorted and back on the road quickly for you.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It turns out the oil filler cap wasn’t installed properly at the last service a few weeks ago, and oil has spilled all in the engine bay.

The place I had it serviced (not the dealership) is going to cover all costs involved in the diagnosis and cleanup.

I’m told there is no risk of long term damage. Luckily i haven’t driven very far recently due to the lockdown.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bor1203 View Post
    It turns out the oil filler cap wasn’t installed properly at the last service a few weeks ago, and oil has spilled all in the engine bay.

The place I had it serviced (not the dealership) is going to cover all costs involved in the diagnosis and cleanup.

I’m told there is no risk of long term damage. Luckily i haven’t driven very far recently due to the lockdown.
    Glad it wasn't anything more - the il must have been spitting onto the exhaust and turbo which is only 20cm away from the oil car and burning causing the blue smoke.

Further reinforces why I check over my car thoroughly after a service to ensure oil filter etc isn't leaking and wheels are done up tight etc. Basically anything the mechanic has touched for the service I will check for piece of mind (and also to check it was actually changed). My wife thinks im crazy but it literally only takes a few minutes and gives you piece of mind. Just because the car is new does not mean it is exempt from having issues.

I used to work at Holden about 20yrs ago and the amount of cars that came in for a service, then left, and came back again a few days later was nuts. Wheels left loose, oil filters fell off due to not tightening properly etc. One in particular that I remember was a Holden Barina Combo (small panel van thing which was popular at the time with Florists/Caterers etc) who's front wheel fell off while going around a corner and it smashed into a house - it had been serviced the day before.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 23-04-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler