Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 GTI 7.5 coolant leak / water pump?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Mate had his MK 7 GTI 2017 done recently , quoted $1500 at same independent i use , so he went to the main Adelaide VW dealer $800 , maybe due to so many VW is being gracious .
    Thats nuts - the genuine parts are $700 odd, and its a 2-3 hour job for someone experienced.

I had mine done in January this year by my independent VW mechanic and was charged $998. He used a non-genuine pump (Geba brand) which he says in his experience are more durable and reliable than the genuine ones. He said he does multiple waterpump replacements on Mk7's every week.

Geba Water Pump 11235/1 - Made in Germany | Run Auto Parts
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Update: it was the thermostat, covered under warranty

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by westenderbender View Post
    Thank you very much. Do you know if the new pumps are as brittle as the original factory ones? Ie is this thing gonna fail again in 3 years?
    if you drive alot it will probably fail faster than that.

after researching the whole internet for videos and threads... its been mentioned a few times (by mechanics) that the non-genuine pumps have been found to last longer than official vag pumps... guess its just luck / driving conditions over time with them all being similar plastic... as mentioned here the geba pump lasts a bit longer ... they can fail from so many spots internally or on the seal to the block .. an aftermarket metal pump would be good but after this platform being going for 7+ years now noone has thought its worthwhile... might be for a reason

for $200-300 for a pump off ebay and a few hours under the hood u cant go wrong.

as I understand it, it is the thermostat housing that leaks. This is plastic and is integrated into the water pump so when they fail, the whole pump is R&R

I would guess lots of short trips would cause the plastic become brittle with the high heat cycles? whereas cars that tend to do longer journeys would be slight more immune to an early failure?

I'm on my third VAG product (last of the last 2013 Mk6 GTi - gone, first of the first B9 A4 Quattro TFSI 45 Avant - current, last of the last Mk 7.5 GTi) which all have the classic EA888 mill

The Mk6 needed one pump in 60k

my A4 required a pump at 5,000 km. It is now at 75,000 no issue at all. Water doesn't drop. This car does all the long hauler drives. I'd estimate of the 75,000 - 40,000 would be trips exceeding 2 hour saddle time and 20,000 would be trips exceeding 10 hour saddle time. it does very few short drives.

The 2020 7.5 GTi (which wife uses 3 days a week for work and then run about) has needed 700mL of water over 20,000km Dealer says there's no issue but as a sealed system where is it going? but you cannot explain that to the front of house team....

Friend who was 10 years Audi service mgr lamented their constant need of replacing and would have them on the shelf.

any my rambling is over as I'm avoiding work

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post

The 2020 7.5 GTi (which wife uses 3 days a week for work and then run about) has needed 700mL of water over 20,000km Dealer says there's no issue but as a sealed system where is it going? but you cannot explain that to the front of house team....
    Interesting, thanks for the rant! My GTI does a LOT of short trips. Just hit 25km in 3 years and I drive it every day, sometimes multiple times.

I’ve been having to put water in the coolant a few times a year since new (as instructed by dealer whenever I get the flashing warning light).

First two services they did a check for any issues - none. Off we go.

And now, thermostat. Common issue apparently. There was another 7.5 GTI there too. Maybe the same issue 2019 GTI 7.5 coolant leak / water pump?

Users Country Flag
    I had my water pump & thermostat replaced recently. One would think with the prevalence of the failures someone and the large number of VAG cars with this engine, someone would have come up with a durable aftermarket metal alternative.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneR7 View Post
    I had my water pump & thermostat replaced recently. One would think with the prevalence of the failures someone and the large number of VAG cars with this engine, someone would have come up with a durable aftermarket metal alternative.
    The Mk7 units are more complex than the Mk6 units by way of having an electronic actuator for the thermostat which is more than likely the reason why there are no aftermarket alloy units available.

With the Mk6 units being more simple, several aftermarket suppliers have come up with an all alloy replacement pump which is much more durable.

One day perhaps for the Mk7, but not yet.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I assume the MK8 has the same water pump & thermostat? Groundhog day!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Call me Al View Post
    I assume the MK8 has the same water pump & thermostat? Groundhog day!!
    vw techs need to put their kids thru school

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    vw techs need to put their kids thru school
    I have been luck zero with three GTI , but my wifes A200 recently gave a low coolant warning , left it as a service was due in a few days , picked up car , independent gets excited and explains that its the water pump , $2500 to replace , heres the pictures of all the coolant sprayed around engine bay , hahah , let me monitor the situation .

Well that was 10 months ago , level has not moved , yes private schools are expensive .
    My former independent got very creative with my TT , $ 1400 of work ended up being less than $300 , haldex rear seal was actually a plug washer leak , no stripped threads on front wheel etc etc .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast