Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 GTI 7.5 coolant leak / water pump?

2019 GTI 7.5 coolant leak / water pump?

Hi all

Looks like I’ve got a pretty gnarly leak on my 2019 GTI (25km, just in 3 years).

Guessing it’s from the coolant as the level was super low and I had the flashing warning light.

Any thoughts/ideas?
    Booked in with VW.

If you are lucky it might be just a plastic connector for a coolant hose (these are brittle and sometimes crack, especially the one near the turbo). Check to see where the leak is.

But yes, usually the leak is from the thermostat housing, and most people replace the water pump while they are at it. $$$$$
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    VW will replace the pump under warranty (which should be 5 years on the 2019).
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Very common on the Mk7 GTI & R engine. It will almost certainly be your waterpump & thermostat housing. They are designed to fail basically - made from plastic which becomes brittle over time with heat cycles.

With luck you should have yours replaced under warranty. If not then its around $1,500 through VW (or about $1,000-1,200 through a independent VW mechanic).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Very common on the Mk7 GTI & R engine. It will almost certainly be your waterpump & thermostat housing. They are designed to fail basically - made from plastic which becomes brittle over time with heat cycles.

With luck you should have yours replaced under warranty. If not then its around $1,500 through VW (or about $1,000-1,200 through a independent VW mechanic).
    Thanks mate appreciate the response - very interesting indeed. Car is under factory warranty thankfully, it’ll be the 3 year mark next month and it’s under the 5 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    If you are lucky it might be just a plastic connector for a coolant hose (these are brittle and sometimes crack, especially the one near the turbo). Check to see where the leak is.

But yes, usually the leak is from the thermostat housing, and most people replace the water pump while they are at it. $$$$$
    Thank you! Geez I hope those $$$$$ are eliminated with the warranty haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    VW will replace the pump under warranty (which should be 5 years on the 2019).
    Thank you very much. Do you know if the new pumps are as brittle as the original factory ones? Ie is this thing gonna fail again in 3 years?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by westenderbender View Post
    Thank you very much. Do you know if the new pumps are as brittle as the original factory ones? Ie is this thing gonna fail again in 3 years?
    Replacement ones are no better, expect it to fail again in 2-3 years. VW should cover that 1 too as it is a known issue. Beyond that, you'd probably be up for it. Hopefully by then a proper metal aftermarket 1 will be available.

As an FYI, mine failed at 23000km at 2.5 years ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Replacement ones are no better, expect it to fail again in 2-3 years. VW should cover that 1 too as it is a known issue. Beyond that, you'd probably be up for it. Hopefully by then a proper metal aftermarket 1 will be available.

As an FYI, mine failed at 23000km at 2.5 years ....
    Thanks, great to know. For some reason I thought they’d already fixed this issue for the mk7.5 (knew it was common for mk7). Guess not!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post

Mate had his MK 7 GTI 2017 done recently , quoted $1500 at same independent i use , so he went to the main Adelaide VW dealer $800 , maybe due to so many VW is being gracious .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast