Thread: 2018 Golf R Special Edition: Wheel clicking and oil leak

Users Country Flag

2018 Golf R Special Edition: Wheel clicking and oil leak

Hi all, for information and any comments I've recently had my wheel clicking when turning on my 2018 Golf R SE fixed by the dealer. It was due to bad mating surface between the two piece brake disc arrangement. They sanded the mating surfaces and now its fixed, there was a TPI for this issue. The other issue I have that they are yet to solve is an oil leak onto the rear pendulum mount. I suspect Rear Main Seal but they think could also be DSG leak. Back for another check next week. If anyone has any information on similar oil leak would be appreciated.

I believe there was a batch of DSG's around the build time of our cars that had an issue with oil leaks as I know a guy that had his replaced under warranty.

Hasn't had the issue since it was replaced.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

My 2015 Golf GTI also has an oil leak which im unsure at this stage if its a rear main seal or a DSG leak. I just spray some brake cleaner on it every month or so to keep it from making a mess. Its very minor so not too concerned at this stage.

I had a Mk6 GTI a few years back which also had a similar leak and it turned out to be a leaking real main seal and I know its a somewhat common issue on these engine - so im not ruling that out again. The cost to remove gearbox, replace rear main seal, and refit gearbox was nearly $900 so its not a cheap exercise. Unless the leak gets worse, im not sure I would be willing to spend that much money again.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler