Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Golf R Performance Edition - wheel clicks

2018 Golf R Performance Edition - wheel clicks

Evening, have a 2018 Performance Edition R and have noticed a clicking sound from the front wheels in car parks and roundabouts.

Have been speaking with another PE owner who is also experiencing the same thing.

Have reported to VW tech at the service centre but am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with a PE Golf R and if anyone has had it fixed?

When turning the steering wheel or holding the steering wheel steady ?
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    When turning the steering wheel or holding the steering wheel steady ?
    At about 50% lock and further..

Similar to when you have a rock stuck in your tyre.

But if you hold the steering wheel still (ie not rotating) does it still make the noise ? If it does then I'd be suspecting a problem with a CV joint, if it only makes the noise while the steering wheel is actively rotating then more likely to be something to do with your steering (including struts).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Is that same as a 2019 R Special Edition? If so I ha ent heard that clicking from the wheels but will have a listen and report back if I do. FWIW, I have 19” Pretorias.

Quote Originally Posted by bkpr View Post
    Is that same as a 2019 R Special Edition? If so I ha ent heard that clicking from the wheels but will have a listen and report back if I do. FWIW, I have 19” Pretorias.
    Thanks! Have a listen with windows down. Should hear it through roundabouts or low speed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugly View Post
    Thanks! Have a listen with windows down. Should hear it through roundabouts or low speed.

Had my Golf R over a year 15K no clicking sounds as reported

Checkout this thread from the UK

Could be a wheel bearing issue

Clicking from front - Page 6 - VW Golf R MK7 Chat - VWROC - VW R Owners Club
    Last edited by rosslm; 19-02-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Spoke to my dealer about it this morning.

I'm taking delivery of a MY19 R SE tomorrow and they apparently still click. Not considered an issue by the dealer and they reckon it is related to the brake assembly.

Grugly, as yours is going in to be fixed, did they happen to tell you what it was they were going to do?
    New Ride: MY19 PW R Special Edition
    Past: MY12 5dr CW Golf GTI Manual

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave260 View Post
    Spoke to my dealer about it this morning.

I'm taking delivery of a MY19 R SE tomorrow and they apparently still click. Not considered an issue by the dealer and they reckon it is related to the brake assembly.

Grugly, as yours is going in to be fixed, did they happen to tell you what it was they were going to do?
    Will get all the details on Wednesday when I drop it off.

It's common across a number of them as I caught up with another SE owner and his was the same.

Once a fix is found VW usually sends out an update to all dealerships so hopefully this Wednesday fixes the issue.

But they are right, it doesn't impact the car in anyway.. just annoying!

Have heard the click when close to full lock. Although very faint. Also, have you guys checked above your reflectors on each side of your rear bumper for areas not painted? Seen a few SE/PE with this defect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast