Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up

Users Country Flag

2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up

Hi everybody!

I have a problem with the electronics inside my 2016 Golf Alltrack. I shall provide some background.

Off the top of my head, the problems I noticed included:
    - Activating right indicator lights up LHS mirror indicator, RHS mirror indicator remained dark. Had to cover LHS with black tape to prevent any more close calls at round-a-bouts,
    - Activating window lock at the master switch caused a child lock fault,
    - Master window control driver door window switch worked for drivers door, front passenger dead, rear left activated both rear windows simultaneously, rear right dead. Windows go down and back up,
    - Opening the driver window causes a "key not found" error to intermittently pop up (ranging from 1 second to 10 seconds). Opening the rear windows even a crack stopped this,
    - Driver door latch would intermittently pop up saying door open when it was closed (happened 2/3 short trips on and off, on and off),
    - Start/Stop function at lights would fail on start up and I would have to put the vehicle in P then restart the car and it would have an a range of electronic errors which would go away after turning the car off again,
    - No electronics were available on the front passenger door,
    - Front cabin lights flickered as if there was a loose neutral,
    - Activating auto-hold function popped up with an error,
    - Reverse camera intermittently decided to not pop up on the screen,
    - Reversing with the mirror switch set to L no longer dips upon entering R.

I had the vehicle diagnosed by VW and they concluded that I would need a new door control module to fix various issues.

Due to having trust issues with dealerships from past experiences, I ordered the genuine part through the dealership and installed it myself.

All errors and alarms have gone away. But I'm missing a few functionalities/mix ups as follows:
    - Opening the driver door shows up on the dash that the front passenger door is open.
    - Opening the front passenger door shows that the driver door is open.
    - The driver door master window switch for the passenger window opens the driver door window and the other three window switches are inactive. But the both switches on the rear doors operate correctly.
    - No mirror indicators function,
    - Mirror reverse dip doesn't work,
    - Mirror heaters don't seem to be working (I tried to check using the consumption monitor on the head unit).

My question now is what should my next step be. Is there a way to swap the driver side configuration and play around with the window/mirror functions? I have ordered an OBD2 cable online and have been conflicted on which bluetooth dongle to buy or even if that will help as the you-beaut ross-tech wireless is $500 odd/USB cable 3 VIN licence is $199, the OBD11 is $150 odd seems to be more for the fun stuff but then there are the cheaper $30 options or even the $70 Jaycar OBD2 dongle.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmmm1987 View Post
    Hi everybody!

I have a problem with the electronics inside my 2016 Golf Alltrack. I shall provide some background.

Off the top of my head, the problems I noticed included:
    - Activating right indicator lights up LHS mirror indicator, RHS mirror indicator remained dark. Had to cover LHS with black tape to prevent any more close calls at round-a-bouts,
    - Activating window lock at the master switch caused a child lock fault,
    - Master window control driver door window switch worked for drivers door, front passenger dead, rear left activated both rear windows simultaneously, rear right dead. Windows go down and back up,
    - Opening the driver window causes a "key not found" error to intermittently pop up (ranging from 1 second to 10 seconds). Opening the rear windows even a crack stopped this,
    - Driver door latch would intermittently pop up saying door open when it was closed (happened 2/3 short trips on and off, on and off),
    - Start/Stop function at lights would fail on start up and I would have to put the vehicle in P then restart the car and it would have an a range of electronic errors which would go away after turning the car off again,
    - No electronics were available on the front passenger door,
    - Front cabin lights flickered as if there was a loose neutral,
    - Activating auto-hold function popped up with an error,
    - Reverse camera intermittently decided to not pop up on the screen,
    - Reversing with the mirror switch set to L no longer dips upon entering R.

I had the vehicle diagnosed by VW and they concluded that I would need a new door control module to fix various issues.

Due to having trust issues with dealerships from past experiences, I ordered the genuine part through the dealership and installed it myself.

All errors and alarms have gone away. But I'm missing a few functionalities/mix ups as follows:
    - Opening the driver door shows up on the dash that the front passenger door is open.
    - Opening the front passenger door shows that the driver door is open.
    - The driver door master window switch for the passenger window opens the driver door window and the other three window switches are inactive. But the both switches on the rear doors operate correctly.
    - No mirror indicators function,
    - Mirror reverse dip doesn't work,
    - Mirror heaters don't seem to be working (I tried to check using the consumption monitor on the head unit).

My question now is what should my next step be. Is there a way to swap the driver side configuration and play around with the window/mirror functions? I have ordered an OBD2 cable online and have been conflicted on which bluetooth dongle to buy or even if that will help as the you-beaut ross-tech wireless is $500 odd/USB cable 3 VIN licence is $199, the OBD11 is $150 odd seems to be more for the fun stuff but then there are the cheaper $30 options or even the $70 Jaycar OBD2 dongle.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    I wonder maybe if module is for a LHD car if left door is drivers. An OBD ELEVEN is the next best after VCDS and FAR FAR better than the others you mention and it is NOT just for fun things and the $30 and $70 are about as useful as t+++on a bull in comparison
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I wonder maybe if module is for a LHD car if left door is drivers. An OBD ELEVEN is the next best after VCDS and FAR FAR better than the others you mention and it is NOT just for fun things and the $30 and $70 are about as useful as t+++on a bull in comparison
    A possibility but I hope it is not the left. I specifically asked for a genuine driver door module at dealership #2 and they had it in stock by 8am the next day in Sydney (the other VW dealership said it was a 6 week wait for that part). It is manufactured in Romania though.

Thanks for that. I guess that I'll be ordering from Ross-Tech. Found out that the driver side module is a J386 control unit so in the meantime I shall flick through the J386 wiring diagrams and see what goes where in there.

Users Country Flag
    @Mmmm1987: Hmm........ intriguing problems - do you have access to a diagnostic device (like VCDS, or OBDeleven)? If so, a scan would be very, very useful!!

Apropose of your concern regarding incorrect door modules, I invite that you consider the following 2 x fundamental points:

1. ALL MQB platform vehicles have a graphic on the housings of their door modules that indicate their designed positions on the car.
    2. The other important "variable" about door modules is what side of the vehicle the steering wheel is installed because this determines what dataset is used in the module's firmware.
      Even if the modules are installed on the correct car-side, using RH-drive door modules on LH-drive cars does cause problems with UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT mirror switch adjustments. From your description, I don't think this is your problem - but it's something to bear in mind.

Here's a picture showing the nomenclature that VAG uses on their door modules (and my comments):
    The module shown is for the passenger side - notice that the left-side square is colored white for our RH-drive cars (see RL -second set of boxes which I've enclosed by the yellow highlights on my picture). Incidentally, I suspect the boxes marked ??? are used for what VAG call "special vehicles" - I wasn't sure of this when I made the picture.

Of course the equivalent driver side module will have the opposite (right-side) box colored white on our cars (i.e. on the RL boxes)

So - if you have the inclination, I suggest that you actually eyeball how the boxes are colored on the door modules on your car to confirm the correct modules are fitted.

In my experience, it's highly unlikely that the wrong modules are fitted - but yours is a most peculiar problem IMO. If you haven't had the car from new - maybe the original owner made some "innovative" fitments?

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 02-05-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

One step forward, two steps back.

So it turns out that the simple oversight of not checking those coloured configuration squares was an issue so thank you guys for that! Mind you, this was after I sat down and checked every core inside each multiple pin plug the previous day.

The dealership ended up being quite reasonable and doing a reorder and swap after I corrected them on the part and they realised they had provided the incorrect part.

After installing the correct module to the driver door, I now have the following issues:

- Passenger door open lights up the driver door open on the dash.
    - Opening the driver door causes a "Key not found" alert and I haven't been able to see which door is displayed as open yet.
    - The passenger window switch doesn't do anything.
    - Indicating right lights up the left mirror indicator but definitely lights up the right indicator everywhere else including the dash.
    - The mirror adjustment toggle set to Left controls the driver side mirror in a 'mirrored' X and Y configuration.
    - The mirror adjustment set to the Right doesn't seem to work.
    - At the master window control switch, the front passenger switch controls the driver side, driver side does nothing, the rear left controls both windows again and the rear right switch doesn't do anything.

But! Now the mirror heaters work (confirmed by touch and in the screen consumption monitoring) and the rear windows work correctly. The auto start/stop did fail on me last night too.

I'm still waiting for my cable (due 8am of Monday morning just past) to arrive so no scan yet.

My conclusions so far are that the car has hopefully had that "Right-Hand-Drive (RHD) model" box unchecked when I took it in for diagnosing (I saw a screen dump of a vcds screen 5Q0-959-593 E in a folding mirrors thread). And that the master window switch is cooked or has some settings a bit out.

There is also black electrical tape on both cables from each 32 pin plug coming from inside the door through the grommet which is why I checked the wiring diagrams but maybe they just reterminated it.

I've ordered a new master window switch to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help, I'll provide an update as to what happens next.
    Last edited by Mmmm1987; 05-05-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Forgot a word

when i retrofitted folding mirrors on my golf i also had to get a highline controller for the drivers door (passenger door had highline but not drivers.. weird). i took a copy of the setting prior to swapping out. i had the issue of when folding, they would be out of sync. one would fold and the other would open and vice versa... worked out it was a setting in the coding of the controller for rhd/lhd...
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

I finally got an OBDeleven (still waiting for the first cable to arrive).

Here are some dumps:

GATEWAY

Car: Volkswagen Golf Alltrack
    Year: 2016
    Body type: Variant
    Engine: CJSB 132 kW (180 HP) 1.8 l
    Mileage: 131578 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
    19 Gateway

System description: GW MQB High
    Software number: 5Q0907530AF
    Software version: 2223
    Hardware number: 5Q0907530M
    Hardware version: 212
    Serial number: 23071510802447
    ODX name: EV_GatewConti
    ODX version: 013020
    Long coding: 030100343F085900FB00224A1E0F0001000105000000000000 0000000000

Trouble codes:
    U020000 - Lost Communication With “Door Control Module B”
    static
    Date: 2021-05-25 15:30:11
    Mileage: 131505 km
    Priority: 2
    Malfunction frequency counter: 9
    Unlearning counter: 208
    Supply voltage, terminal 30: 14.0 V
    Terminal 15: On

DRIVER DOOR

42 Driver Door

Hardware version: 010

Trouble codes:
    No trouble codes found

CENTRAL ELECTRICS

09 Central Electrics

System description: BCM PQ37BOSCH
    Software number: 5Q0937086AK
    Software version: 0162
    Hardware number: 5Q0937086AK
    Hardware version: 028
    Serial number: 86582507150065
    ODX name: EV_BodyContrModul1UDSBosc
    ODX version: 015002
    Long coding: 03511A46C24122FB4BE44000000C0728180000000000000000 0000000000

Trouble codes:
    U112100 - Databus missing message
    static
    Date: 2021-05-25 15:30:09
    Priority: 6
    Malfunction frequency counter: 1
    Unlearning counter: 207
    Terminal 15 status: On
    Terminal 50 status: Off
    Voltage: 13.9 V
    Outside air temperature: 24.5 °C
    Status Bremslichtschalter (HW): Off
    Status Bremslichtschalter (CAN): Off
    Off: operated
    Parking light: not activated
    Automatic high beam assist: not activated
    Low beam: not activated
    Parking light left: not activated
    Parking light right: not activated
    Letzte Weckursache/ Werte [00;2E]: Pin C14 Kessy Weckleitung
    CAN-Bus_aktiv: On
    static
    Date: 2021-05-25 15:30:09
    Terminal 15 status: On
    Voltage: 13.8 V
    Outside air temperature: 24.5 °C
    Letzte Weckursache/ Werte [00;2E]: Pin C14 Kessy Weckleitung
    B147918 - Remote key 1 Voltage too low
    static
    Date: 2021-05-25 16:34:37
    Mileage: 131559 km
    Priority: 4
    Terminal 15 status: Off
    Voltage: 12.6 V
    Outside air temperature: 20.5 °C
    Letzte Weckursache/ Werte [00;2E]: keine Störschutzursache
    B147A18 - Remote key 2 Voltage too low
    static
    Date: 2021-05-25 20:37:57
    Mileage: 131572 km
    Priority: 4
    Terminal 15 status: Off
    Voltage: 12.5 V
    Outside air temperature: 19.0 °C
    Off: not activated
    Automatic high beam assist: operated
    Letzte Weckursache/ Werte [00;2E]: keine Störschutzursache

ENGINE

01 Engine

System description: 1.8l R4 TFSI
    Software number: 8V0906264H
    Software version: 0003
    Hardware number: 06K907425B
    Hardware version: H13
    ODX name: EV_ECM18TFS0208V0906264H
    ODX version: 001005
    Long coding: 319D00122426050B3000

Trouble codes:
    U049A00 - Invalid Data Received From “Door Control Module A”
    static
    Malfunction frequency counter: 118
    Unlearning counter: 255
    Engine speed: 880.50 1/min
    Normed load value: 22.0 %
    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
    Coolant temperature: 86 °C
    Intake air temperature: 67 °C
    Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
    Voltage terminal 30: 12.148 V
    Dynamic environmental data: 209628110E0216E002202F0DFD11A8000511AB002143832001 16E002

So far, I have changed out the driver door control module, the driver door master windows switch set, the start stop ignition button and the driver door lock assembly.

Any help would be fantastic as I haven't been able to find much with the Trouble codes.

Users Country Flag
    hmmm........a partial scan report!!

I understand the reasoning why folk remove large chunks of their scan reports before posting on these forums. However, for those of us attempting remote diagnostics - partial scans really do limit fault analysis purely to whatever assumptions are in the mind of the individual who edited the scan.

Sometimes these assumptions are correct - but other times they are not. I'm not sure which is the case in this instance, but my practice when seeking advice about a problem is NEVER to make any assumptions about which part of a scan report to include (and which to exclude) - because the potential cost of a truncated scan is not worth the advantage of a neat post.

So, based purely on just the information provided, I provide the observations below:

The DTC on the hex19 module and on the BCM suggests (to me) a comms issue on the CAN bus (the Convenience CAN - I suspect). Because the date of the scan report has been removed, I'm not sure how prevalent the comms issue is, but the frequency counter on the Gateway module confirms that the same error has re-appeared on 9 separate occasions since first registration (yesterday). So the comms error appears to be persistent!

As for the cause - I'm not sure, but you mention in one of your posts seeing "black electrical tape" - this suggests that the wiring has been repaired. If so, this might be a good place to start - but connector pins are also worth investigating (particularly those pins related to power supply and CAN-high/CAN-low functions)

The telling aspect (for me) for the DTC on the hex01 module is that it has the same date/time stamp as the errors above - so, this might be a consequential fault to the comms problem. However, "invalid data" could also be suggestive of a coding error (maybe?).

Please post-up a copy of the long-code strings on both the Driver and Passenger door modules.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 26-05-2021 at 05:15 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

A bigger picture makes much more sense. I didn't realise that there was an export button for the whole scan. Thank you for your patience.

I have not been able to delve into anything to do with the doors. When trying to open either controller I get a loading symbol in the centre of the screen then after about 30 seconds I am prompted with "Control unit not responding. Check ignition and try again." The driver door has a red 42 circle highlight at the top right and the passenger door has a 52 with a black highlight.

2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up-screenshot_20210527-115302_obdeleven-jpg2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up-screenshot_20210527-115252_obdeleven-jpg2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up-screenshot_20210527-115101_obdeleven-jpg

Here is the full scan:

OBDeleven vehicle history log

Date: 2021-05-27 14:10

VIN: WVWZZZAUZ
    Mileage: 131683 KM

Fault
    Control unit: 01 Engine
    Active faults: 0
    Inactive faults: 1
    System description: 1.8l R4 TFSI
    Software number: 8V0906264H
    Software version: 0003
    Hardware number: 06K907425B
    Hardware version: H13
    ODX name: EV_ECM18TFS0208V0906264H
    ODX version: 001005
    Faults:
    U049A00 - Invalid Data Received From “Door Control Module A”
    static
    Malfunction frequency counter: 254
    Unlearning counter: 255
    Engine speed: 880.50 1/min
    Normed load value: 22.0 %
    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
    Coolant temperature: 86 °C
    Intake air temperature: 67 °C
    Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
    Voltage terminal 30: 12.148 V
    Dynamic environmental data: 209628110E0216E002202F0DFD11A8000511AB002143832001 16E002

Mileage: 131683 km
    Date: 2021-05-27 12:00

Fault
    Control unit: 02 Transmission
    Inactive faults: 1
    System description: DQ250-6A MQB
    Software number: 0D9300012F
    Software version: 4909
    Hardware number: 02E927770AQ
    Hardware version: H53
    Serial number: TFK01506240566
    ODX name: EV_TCMDQ250021
    ODX version: 001001
    Faults:
    P173400 - Starter release from the selector lever sensor system
    Intermittent

Fault
    Control unit: 03 Brakes
    Inactive faults: 0
    System description: ESC
    Software number: 3Q0907379AA
    Software version: 0623
    Hardware number: 3Q0907379F
    Hardware version: H42
    Serial number: 62085000004616
    ODX name: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100IPB
    ODX version: 034036
    Faults:
    No trouble codes found

Fault
    Control unit: 08 Air Conditioning
    Inactive faults: 3
    System description: Climatronic
    Software number: 5G0907044BD
    Software version: 1001
    Hardware number: 5G0907044BD
    Hardware version: H03
    ODX name: EV_ACClimaBHBVW37X
    ODX version: 004131
    Faults:
    B108B71 - Fresh air, recirculation, air flow flap motor Actuator jammed
    Intermittent
    Date: 2021-05-25 15:30:08
    Malfunction frequency counter: 10
    Unlearning counter: 251
    Dynamic environmental data: 028683260931261300EA261E003F1C261F0021
    B109B15 - Position Sensor for Fresh air, recirculation, air flow flap Open circuit/short circuit to B+
    Intermittent
    Date: 2021-05-27 09:53:47
    Mileage: 131673 km
    Unlearning counter: 250
    Dynamic environmental data: 02867A260923261300D9261E002200261F0021
    static
    Date: 2021-05-25 15:30:08