Thread: 2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up

Users Country Flag

2016 Alltrack has its front LH door and RH door mixed up

Hi everybody!

I have a problem with the electronics inside my 2016 Golf Alltrack. I shall provide some background.

Off the top of my head, the problems I noticed included:
    - Activating right indicator lights up LHS mirror indicator, RHS mirror indicator remained dark. Had to cover LHS with black tape to prevent any more close calls at round-a-bouts,
    - Activating window lock at the master switch caused a child lock fault,
    - Master window control driver door window switch worked for drivers door, front passenger dead, rear left activated both rear windows simultaneously, rear right dead. Windows go down and back up,
    - Opening the driver window causes a "key not found" error to intermittently pop up (ranging from 1 second to 10 seconds). Opening the rear windows even a crack stopped this,
    - Driver door latch would intermittently pop up saying door open when it was closed (happened 2/3 short trips on and off, on and off),
    - Start/Stop function at lights would fail on start up and I would have to put the vehicle in P then restart the car and it would have an a range of electronic errors which would go away after turning the car off again,
    - No electronics were available on the front passenger door,
    - Front cabin lights flickered as if there was a loose neutral,
    - Activating auto-hold function popped up with an error,
    - Reverse camera intermittently decided to not pop up on the screen,
    - Reversing with the mirror switch set to L no longer dips upon entering R.

I had the vehicle diagnosed by VW and they concluded that I would need a new door control module to fix various issues.

Due to having trust issues with dealerships from past experiences, I ordered the genuine part through the dealership and installed it myself.

All errors and alarms have gone away. But I'm missing a few functionalities/mix ups as follows:
    - Opening the driver door shows up on the dash that the front passenger door is open.
    - Opening the front passenger door shows that the driver door is open.
    - The driver door master window switch for the passenger window opens the driver door window and the other three window switches are inactive. But the both switches on the rear doors operate correctly.
    - No mirror indicators function,
    - Mirror reverse dip doesn't work,
    - Mirror heaters don't seem to be working (I tried to check using the consumption monitor on the head unit).

My question now is what should my next step be. Is there a way to swap the driver side configuration and play around with the window/mirror functions? I have ordered an OBD2 cable online and have been conflicted on which bluetooth dongle to buy or even if that will help as the you-beaut ross-tech wireless is $500 odd/USB cable 3 VIN licence is $199, the OBD11 is $150 odd seems to be more for the fun stuff but then there are the cheaper $30 options or even the $70 Jaycar OBD2 dongle.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmmm1987 View Post
    Hi everybody!

I have a problem with the electronics inside my 2016 Golf Alltrack. I shall provide some background.

Off the top of my head, the problems I noticed included:
    - Activating right indicator lights up LHS mirror indicator, RHS mirror indicator remained dark. Had to cover LHS with black tape to prevent any more close calls at round-a-bouts,
    - Activating window lock at the master switch caused a child lock fault,
    - Master window control driver door window switch worked for drivers door, front passenger dead, rear left activated both rear windows simultaneously, rear right dead. Windows go down and back up,
    - Opening the driver window causes a "key not found" error to intermittently pop up (ranging from 1 second to 10 seconds). Opening the rear windows even a crack stopped this,
    - Driver door latch would intermittently pop up saying door open when it was closed (happened 2/3 short trips on and off, on and off),
    - Start/Stop function at lights would fail on start up and I would have to put the vehicle in P then restart the car and it would have an a range of electronic errors which would go away after turning the car off again,
    - No electronics were available on the front passenger door,
    - Front cabin lights flickered as if there was a loose neutral,
    - Activating auto-hold function popped up with an error,
    - Reverse camera intermittently decided to not pop up on the screen,
    - Reversing with the mirror switch set to L no longer dips upon entering R.

I had the vehicle diagnosed by VW and they concluded that I would need a new door control module to fix various issues.

Due to having trust issues with dealerships from past experiences, I ordered the genuine part through the dealership and installed it myself.

All errors and alarms have gone away. But I'm missing a few functionalities/mix ups as follows:
    - Opening the driver door shows up on the dash that the front passenger door is open.
    - Opening the front passenger door shows that the driver door is open.
    - The driver door master window switch for the passenger window opens the driver door window and the other three window switches are inactive. But the both switches on the rear doors operate correctly.
    - No mirror indicators function,
    - Mirror reverse dip doesn't work,
    - Mirror heaters don't seem to be working (I tried to check using the consumption monitor on the head unit).

My question now is what should my next step be. Is there a way to swap the driver side configuration and play around with the window/mirror functions? I have ordered an OBD2 cable online and have been conflicted on which bluetooth dongle to buy or even if that will help as the you-beaut ross-tech wireless is $500 odd/USB cable 3 VIN licence is $199, the OBD11 is $150 odd seems to be more for the fun stuff but then there are the cheaper $30 options or even the $70 Jaycar OBD2 dongle.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    I wonder maybe if module is for a LHD car if left door is drivers. An OBD ELEVEN is the next best after VCDS and FAR FAR better than the others you mention and it is NOT just for fun things and the $30 and $70 are about as useful as t+++on a bull in comparison
    2019 Tiguan 162 R line with DAP & Sound & Vision .White
    Front Dash cam Blackvue 750S and Rear Blackvue DR590-HD Dash Cam.
    2010 Polo 77TSI Flash Red, for shopping basket with Blackvue 750S dashcam.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I wonder maybe if module is for a LHD car if left door is drivers. An OBD ELEVEN is the next best after VCDS and FAR FAR better than the others you mention and it is NOT just for fun things and the $30 and $70 are about as useful as t+++on a bull in comparison
    A possibility but I hope it is not the left. I specifically asked for a genuine driver door module at dealership #2 and they had it in stock by 8am the next day in Sydney (the other VW dealership said it was a 6 week wait for that part). It is manufactured in Romania though.

Thanks for that. I guess that I'll be ordering from Ross-Tech. Found out that the driver side module is a J386 control unit so in the meantime I shall flick through the J386 wiring diagrams and see what goes where in there.

Users Country Flag
    @Mmmm1987: Hmm........ intriguing problems - do you have access to a diagnostic device (like VCDS, or OBDeleven)? If so, a scan would be very, very useful!!

Apropose of your concern regarding incorrect door modules, I invite that you consider the following 2 x fundamental points:

1. ALL MQB platform vehicles have a graphic on the housings of their door modules that indicate their designed positions on the car.
    2. The other important "variable" about door modules is what side of the vehicle the steering wheel is installed because this determines what dataset is used in the module's firmware.
      Even if the modules are installed on the correct car-side, using RH-drive door modules on LH-drive cars does cause problems with UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT mirror switch adjustments. From your description, I don't think this is your problem - but it's something to bear in mind.

Here's a picture showing the nomenclature that VAG uses on their door modules (and my comments):
    The module shown is for the passenger side - notice that the left-side square is colored white for our RH-drive cars (see RL -second set of boxes which I've enclosed by the yellow highlights on my picture). Incidentally, I suspect the boxes marked ??? are used for what VAG call "special vehicles" - I wasn't sure of this when I made the picture.

Of course the equivalent driver side module will have the opposite (right-side) box colored white on our cars (i.e. on the RL boxes)

So - if you have the inclination, I suggest that you actually eyeball how the boxes are colored on the door modules on your car to confirm the correct modules are fitted.

In my experience, it's highly unlikely that the wrong modules are fitted - but yours is a most peculiar problem IMO. If you haven't had the car from new - maybe the original owner made some "innovative" fitments?

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 02-05-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    Golf MkVII 103TSI (Highline) my13
    Polo 6R 77TSI (Comfortline with Comfort Pack) my14

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    One step forward, two steps back.

So it turns out that the simple oversight of not checking those coloured configuration squares was an issue so thank you guys for that! Mind you, this was after I sat down and checked every core inside each multiple pin plug the previous day.

The dealership ended up being quite reasonable and doing a reorder and swap after I corrected them on the part and they realised they had provided the incorrect part.

After installing the correct module to the driver door, I now have the following issues:

- Passenger door open lights up the driver door open on the dash.
    - Opening the driver door causes a "Key not found" alert and I haven't been able to see which door is displayed as open yet.
    - The passenger window switch doesn't do anything.
    - Indicating right lights up the left mirror indicator but definitely lights up the right indicator everywhere else including the dash.
    - The mirror adjustment toggle set to Left controls the driver side mirror in a 'mirrored' X and Y configuration.
    - The mirror adjustment set to the Right doesn't seem to work.
    - At the master window control switch, the front passenger switch controls the driver side, driver side does nothing, the rear left controls both windows again and the rear right switch doesn't do anything.

But! Now the mirror heaters work (confirmed by touch and in the screen consumption monitoring) and the rear windows work correctly. The auto start/stop did fail on me last night too.

I'm still waiting for my cable (due 8am of Monday morning just past) to arrive so no scan yet.

My conclusions so far are that the car has hopefully had that "Right-Hand-Drive (RHD) model" box unchecked when I took it in for diagnosing (I saw a screen dump of a vcds screen 5Q0-959-593 E in a folding mirrors thread). And that the master window switch is cooked or has some settings a bit out.

There is also black electrical tape on both cables from each 32 pin plug coming from inside the door through the grommet which is why I checked the wiring diagrams but maybe they just reterminated it.

I've ordered a new master window switch to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help, I'll provide an update as to what happens next.
    Last edited by Mmmm1987; 05-05-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Forgot a word

when i retrofitted folding mirrors on my golf i also had to get a highline controller for the drivers door (passenger door had highline but not drivers.. weird). i took a copy of the setting prior to swapping out. i had the issue of when folding, they would be out of sync. one would fold and the other would open and vice versa... worked out it was a setting in the coding of the controller for rhd/lhd...
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg
    2018 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!