Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Stress Cracked Headlights

Users Country Flag

Repairing Stress Cracked Headlights

Hi All,

I've posted this in the body work topic also, but want to duplicate it here in case some of you don't check that topic (let me know if I should delete this).

I recently purchased a 2013 Mk7 GTi with terrible stress cracked headlights. I searched forums and read a whole lot of posts only to be recommended that I should go replace my headlights. I was also told that the stress cracks are internal and that I had to remove and bake the headlight and remove the lens and fix it from behind. Left with little hope I decided to give a local headlight restorer a go before continuing to contemplate new headlights.

To my surprised the gentleman managed to remove all the stress cracks. The headlights look as good as new!

Below are some before and after images.
    And for those of you who have headlights which require restoration, I truly recommend hitting up www.headlightrestore.com.au (brisbane based).

Users Country Flag
    Looks good! not sure how, but they have done a top job.

Users Country Flag
    I'm guess they aren't stress cracks, ie, through the polycarb, but surface features that look like cracks. There is a protective outer coating on most lights that can start to look bad when weathered, this has been polished back so it is smooth again, but the top layer is probably missing - you may find the UV affects the headlights more.

But perhaps they have cleaned then sprayed on a further clear layer then polished to fill the imperfections? Did you see what they did?

Users Country Flag
    Wow - good job. They look brand new again. Geez they were bad before.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    that has come out quite well
    if u don't mind me asking - how much did that cost to do?
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    that has come out quite well
    if u don't mind me asking - how much did that cost to do?
    Pmd

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfRWag View Post
    I'm guess they aren't stress cracks, ie, through the polycarb, but surface features that look like cracks. There is a protective outer coating on most lights that can start to look bad when weathered, this has been polished back so it is smooth again, but the top layer is probably missing - you may find the UV affects the headlights more.

But perhaps they have cleaned then sprayed on a further clear layer then polished to fill the imperfections? Did you see what they did?
    It was sanding with various grit followed by spray of clear coat paint for uv protection

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by darkliger View Post
    It was sanding with various grit followed by spray of clear coat paint for uv protection

Good to hear, sounds like a proper job. Certainly looks like new, and should last quite a while with a good protective coating.

Users Country Flag
    Hi, admin can remove this if they want. This is my company who did the car VW Golf above. If anybody needs advice on how to repair this issue please don't hesitate to ask. You can ask questions on my blog (link below) for this issue and I will do my best to help. It is a tricky process and takes experience but will try to talk you through it or call our business number from our website.

https://www.headlightrestore.com.au/...t-restoration/

Or if you advice on the correct polycarbonate headlight clear coat to apply for the job, head to this page and leave a message and I'll direct you to the correct resins, clear coat, etc. to repair cracks and crazing:

https://www.headlightrestore.com.au/...light-restore/

I hope I can help!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Brisbanebloke; 06-09-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Repairing Stress Cracked Headlights-20220614_090149865_ios-jpg

Hi Brisbanebloke - This is what my Audi's headlights look like. Driver's side far worse that the pax side. When I rub my finger over the lens it seems smooth so to me I thought it was crazing on the inside of the lens ? How did the Golf appear?

Sadly I'm in Sydney... would be interested if you knew anyone in Sydney doing similar work?

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast