Support VWWC

Thread: '14 MK7 TDI Highline Engine issue.

Users Country Flag

Unhappy '14 MK7 TDI Highline Engine issue.

Hi Folks,

I'm a new bee here and hope to get some quality advise from VW experts.

I recently trade in my much loved '11 Golf TDI comfortline with another '14 Golf TDI highline. I actually fell in love with the '14 highline. It's very much well kept, neat and all services were done in time.

But after driving it for one week or so (200 odd kms so far) I noticed it's running a bit heavy/rough and have to push pedal more for the pick up. My old one was very torquey and nimble .. rode like rally car. But this one feels quite heavy and underpowered. It's supposed to be more powerful than the old one .. 7 KW more.

Anyway, I noticed following issues which got me worried.

- Cold start requires crank for 5-6 seconds at least, but after that no issue, auto start/stop works ok and no more crank issue afterwards.
    - DPF regeneration cycle kicks off 2-3 times a day daily. No matter if I go for 5 km drive for grocery or 50Km .. it kicks in and keep running. I don't see any lights on dashboard regarding this but I remember my old Golf used to have this cycle once or twice a month only means around once in 1000 KM.
    - Engine sound is comparatively louder that the old one as well.

I'm planning to return the car to dealer mid of the week for thorough inspection and will ask for VACS report as well.
    Can anyone please help me diagnose the issue and advise me what to ask the dealer. I bought it from Subaru Wangara just for info.

Thanks heaps!

Quote Originally Posted by retrojit View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm a new bee here and hope to get some quality advise from VW experts.

I recently trade in my much loved '11 Golf TDI comfortline with another '14 Golf TDI highline. I actually fell in love with the '14 highline. It's very much well kept, neat and all services were done in time.

But after driving it for one week or so (200 odd kms so far) I noticed it's running a bit heavy/rough and have to push pedal more for the pick up. My old one was very torquey and nimble .. rode like rally car. But this one feels quite heavy and underpowered. It's supposed to be more powerful than the old one .. 7 KW more.

Anyway, I noticed following issues which got me worried.

- Cold start requires crank for 5-6 seconds at least, but after that no issue, auto start/stop works ok and no more crank issue afterwards.
    - DPF regeneration cycle kicks off 2-3 times a day daily. No matter if I go for 5 km drive for grocery or 50Km .. it kicks in and keep running. I don't see any lights on dashboard regarding this but I remember my old Golf used to have this cycle once or twice a month only means around once in 1000 KM.
    - Engine sound is comparatively louder that the old one as well.

I'm planning to return the car to dealer mid of the week for thorough inspection and will ask for VACS report as well.
    Can anyone please help me diagnose the issue and advise me what to ask the dealer. I bought it from Subaru Wangara just for info.

Thanks heaps!
    I'm no diesel expert however it sounds like it needs a thorough servicing. Did you scan the ECU before purchase?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ditto, I'm no diesel expert, but could it be a partially blocked catalytic converter?
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

Users Country Flag
    Its a blocked dpf filter most likely esp if it keeps regenerating all the time
    Whoever owned it before did not take it on long trips
    They will try to forced regen it which will be a temporary fix
    It will need replacing don't accept it back unless it is replaced (very costly)
    They will do and say all sorts of things to you to not have to replace it
    Get a independent report if you can
    Also its usually caused be lots of short trips and or a problem with the air intake or maf sensor
    Let us know how you go

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No, I haven't. I bought it from dealership so trusted them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
    I'm no diesel expert however it sounds like it needs a thorough servicing. Did you scan the ECU before purchase?

I think you're right .. its clogged DPF or Toubro issue.
    Car lags to move from standstill, always have to push pedal more. It feels like I'm driving a truck or towing a heavy campervan.
    Even in Sports mode .. only RPM revs up, don't feel significant power boost.

Anyway, I'm booked for this Friday, let's see what they come with..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    Its a blocked dpf filter most likely esp if it keeps regenerating all the time
    Whoever owned it before did not take it on long trips
    They will try to forced regen it which will be a temporary fix
    It will need replacing don't accept it back unless it is replaced (very costly)
    They will do and say all sorts of things to you to not have to replace it
    Get a independent report if you can
    Also its usually caused be lots of short trips and or a problem with the air intake or maf sensor
    Let us know how you go

Quote Originally Posted by retrojit View Post
    No, I haven't. I bought it from dealership so trusted them.
    Have to agree with Kachingg's post. They will have known and pushed it out the door hoping it lasts the 3mths statutory warranty.
    I'd advise the dealer there is an issue, then get a full RACQ, NRMA or equivalent check done. This way you'll know all that is wrong.
    Then the dealer can fix all issues identified.
    ACCC protects you: if you weren't advise by the dealer at time of purchase, the dealer must make good.

Update:

So I left my Golf at dealer's service center for full investigation. Apparently, they sent the car to nearby VW dealership and they had done all sort of tests. VW service guys say no issue with the Car and provided the result printouts of VCDS tests. they also said DPF is perfectly fine and advised to go for a long freeway ride (100KM) once a month. Even battery health status is showing 94%.

Now plan is to go for a longer country ride and see how it behaves. Also, will take it to an independent VW expert for second opinion.

Users Country Flag
    by no means a diesel expert but I do drive one everyday. Was going to suggest taking it for a long drive.

Does it smoke on cold startup? could be a faulty glow plug or something.. Also make sure to leave ignition on for a few seconds till light goes off before turning it over.

Thanks mate.
    Na, it deosn't smoke on cold starts. As I said it does struggle only once, rest of the day auto start stop and with starts no issue. I will investigate on glow plugs.
    I will go for long ride this weekend and will also gonna add this addiative >> ENVIRO+ DPF CLEANER | Penrite Oil