Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.4 TSI oil top up

Users Country Flag

1.4 TSI oil top up

Hey guys,

After your expert opinion on oil top up for a 1.4 TSI. My car has done 12360km and has not had its first service yet.

I was driving to work this morning when the MFD sounded the check oil level alarm. I took the car straight to the dealer and they topped it up for me straight away. The mechanic said he poured about 800ml of oil in there.

I checked the dip stick after a short drive, and the level indicated seems to be smack bang in the middle.

Should I be concerned about this level of oil burn? (800ml over 12360km assuming it was full when it left the factory) or is this fairly normal for a VW?
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Quote Originally Posted by agentthumb View Post
    Hey guys,

After your expert opinion on oil top up for a 1.4 TSI. My car has done 12360km and has not had its first service yet.

I was driving to work this morning when the MFD sounded the check oil level alarm. I took the car straight to the dealer and they topped it up for me straight away. The mechanic said he poured about 800ml of oil in there.

I checked the dip stick after a short drive, and the level indicated seems to be smack bang in the middle.

Should I be concerned about this level of oil burn? (800ml over 12360km assuming it was full when it left the factory) or is this fairly normal for a VW?
    800 ml over 12,000 Km is quite normal, many VWs use more than this.

Have you not checked the oil in 12,000 KM?

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    800 ml over 12,000 Km is quite normal, many VWs use more than this.

Have you not checked the oil in 12,000 KM?

Cheers

George
    Thanks George. That's good to know. I must admit, I've checked coolant, brake fluid etc, but haven't actually checked the engine oil level.

I've been motoring for over 10 years and have owned 5+ cars, never have I had to top up engine oil due to a warning. Usually the service interval oil changes are more than sufficient. I just keep an eye on the floor and make sure there's nothing puddling up.

I'll definitely be doing that more often now

Cheers again!

Thanks George. That's good to know. I must admit, I've checked coolant, brake fluid etc, but haven't actually checked the engine oil level.

I've been motoring for over 10 years and have owned 5+ cars, never have I had to top up engine oil due to a warning. Usually the service interval oil changes are more than sufficient. I just keep an eye on the floor and make sure there's nothing puddling up.

I'll definitely be doing that more often now

Cheers again!
    Yes, there are many cars that don't need oil top ups between services but VW service interval is long and turbo engines do tend to use a bit of oil. It's always good practice to check the oil, coolant, brake fluid and tyres regularly.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, it's worth grabbing an extra 1L of oil at your next service and keeping it in the car to top it up when it's needed.

(My old Mk3 VR6 was almost 1L / 100km... which was considered "normal" according to the manual! It would make it's way down the dip stick in such an predictable way I could just about pout 1L of oil in every 2nd take of fuel and be bang on )

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I might just grab a 5L bottle of Castrol Edge 5W-30 from Supercheap. They are not too dear, and is apparently the same stuff the dealers use anyway, just doesn't have the VW logo on it

Thanks for the tip. I have done 5k on mine and it won't be long before I reach 10k. Reckon it's time to be looking out for the next Supercheap sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bellawii View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I have done 5k on mine and it won't be long before I reach 10k. Reckon it's time to be looking out for the next Supercheap sale.

Just a heads up, there are two Castrol Edge 5W-30. One with the subscript A3/B4 with a gold label. That's not the one you want. You want the green label without subscript.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that! Thanks again.

Users Country Flag

I might just grab a 5L bottle of Castrol Edge 5W-30 from Supercheap. They are not too dear, and is apparently the same stuff the dealers use anyway, just doesn't have the VW logo on it
    You CANT BUY Professional III longlife anywhere but the dealers

Read this thread Oil change 1500 kms, 2015 81 TSI Auto Comfortline.

and you need to buy the oil in the link here

https://www.autobarn.com.au/castrol-...-5l-engine-oil If it doesnt have APPROVED FOR USE WITH VW its not the right stuff.

Some have SUITABLE for VW which is not the same

PS I check my cars oil weekly whether I use it or not. Always have for 50 years.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 13-02-2016 at 08:13 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast