Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.4 TSI oil top up

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by agentthumb View Post

I checked the dip stick after a short drive, and the level indicated seems to be smack bang in the middle.

Should I be concerned about this level of oil burn? (800ml over 12360km assuming it was full when it left the factory) or is this fairly normal for a VW?
    That's really low oil consumption. I'd be happy about that.

Have you never checked your fluid levels (oil, washer bottle, coolant, brake fluid, battery) in the ownership period?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by agentthumb View Post
    I've been motoring for over 10 years and have owned 5+ cars, never have I had to top up engine oil due to a warning. Usually the service interval oil changes are more than sufficient.
    How many cars have you had on 15,000km service intervals?
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That's really low oil consumption. I'd be happy about that.

Have you never checked your fluid levels (oil, washer bottle, coolant, brake fluid, battery) in the ownership period?
    Cheers Brad. As mentioned above, I regularly check the other fluids and air in the car, but engine oil in my experience has been something that I only need to keep an eye out on the floor for puddles... Now I know the wiser.

As for service interval, the i20 also in the garage is on 15k intervals, it's had many services without incident.

The Toyotas and Mitsubishi were on 10k, but their service is arguably cheaper (by a significant margin, and I'll be clear I wasn't expecting VW to be cheap) and never had issues there either

I guess I'm just new to owning VWs and the concept of having to top up anything other than air and washer fluids between service. Learn something new everyday

Cheers everyone for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Users Country Flag
    Well when we were vanning around the country I checked Oil, water, tyres and other fluids EVERY MORNING.

You never know when something comes loose and best to find it at home rather than stranded in mid rush hour on a freeway or as in our case the middle of nowhere.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    The Gold label is VW approved and the Green label is Japanese car approved ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fzs1000n View Post
    The Gold label is VW approved and the Green label is Japanese car approved ?
    Just read the label If it has APPROVED for VW its the right A3/B4 502/505 rated oil

Even better to use this which is the higher rated 504/507 oil which is closer to the Prof III most dealers use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.4 TSI oil top up-vw-oil-jpg  
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 01-01-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I wish i only had to add oil every 12k or so i have around 270000 km on my 2014 90 tsi comfortline i have been adding around a litre every week and a half as i do around 800 km a week mostly motor way driving .I would say i get about 1200km before neeing to add oil. I mostly use castrol edge 5w 30 LL .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nomodlowkmgti View Post
    I wish i only had to add oil every 12k or so i have around 270000 km on my 2014 90 tsi comfortline i have been adding around a litre every week and a half as i do around 800 km a week mostly motor way driving .I would say i get about 1200km before neeing to add oil. I mostly use castrol edge 5w 30 LL .
    When was the PCV valve last changed?

Your oil rings are probably clogged with contaminants. It may help if you did oil changes at 7500km and used an engine flush. Also try some Lucas oil stabiliser or similar engine honey.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nomodlowkmgti View Post

This may be acceptable with such high mileage, but any oil burning in newer engines (50,000Km or less) would certainly indicate an engine
    issue .>!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12