Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $8000 to repair engine at 100,000km. VW won't help.

Users Country Flag

Don't go to VW, find an independent. There are a few good places in Brisbane.
    Non dealers actually have experience troubleshooting and fixing, rather than just replacing the entire unit.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Hi,

Here’s my two cents… I bought my Golf (wasn’t new but it was cheap) as I was about to leave the company that I worked for and had to give the company car back (it was a mk7,5 R-line) and I loved the car to the bits (and short on money) I decided to go to a 90TSI. I bought it cheap as I knew that had some problems and I wasn’t aware of the oil consumption. It was clocking just over 220k km (It was in a very good shape and all the kms were done on a motorway from Sydney to Tweet Heads, all documented and original engine CXSA) and then I found that was drinking more oil than a bunch of people in a pub, it was about 1l per 2k-2,5k depending how I was driving. As I bout the car cheap I had some money saved to be used if anything happened.

At about 260k km I pulled the trigger and bought a second hand engine from a wrecker, the “new engine” came from a car with 75k km. I was able to get the new engine for $700inc delivered (in Sydney Metro) and with 12m warranty in parts and labour (the wrecker recommended their own mechanics and it would cost somewhere around $1250-1500, but I already have someone that I trust and crazy enough to do what I ask without asking too much).

At the time my mechanic charged me about $2000 to swap the engine, review everything, new fluids and install a new flywheel (I bought the clutch myself from a cheaper place that he could get it). I done over a year ago and now I’m just about to clock 300k km and the car is strong than never, even running stage 1 on the ECU and TCU and a bigger turbo from the 110TSI.

Don’t bother get fixed by VW, get trusted mechanic and get a second hand with low kms from a wrecker and keeping enjoying your Golf. I’m still enjoying my every single time I drive!
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12