Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My other car is a BMW E92 M3...

Users Country Flag

Nice one mate - those 4.0L V8'S sound fantastic and they rev for days, but the size of your maintenance list is the main reason why i bought the Lexus IS-F over an E92 M3, AMG C63 or the RS4. This one looks to be very clean and well loved.

I decided to give up that pedigree and manual trans for peace of mind from a reliability point of view. Another big factor for me is that 99% of M3's are 2 door which would not suit me (car needs to be practical so my daughter can ride in the back).

Thankfully in my case with the IS-F the resist to modify is largely due to not many options, and what is available is stupidly expensive. I've only done exhaust, intake and a remap (currently 265kw atw with those mods - stock is 230-235KW atw).

Is the M3 black or that very very dark blue like they had in the E46? It's a bit hard to tell due to the overcast day when you took the photos.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 21-05-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks mate, the S65 is an awesome sounding engine and does rev forever. Apparently it used F1 technology at the time it was designed. The only down side is keeping it in the rev range on the road, it’s perfectly suited on the track though. The sound has been “enhanced” by replacing the exhaust from the centre section back; the rear mufflers are valved but the valve controller is not installed and the valves are set to fully open. My neighbours love me…

I was a bit concerned about buying the car with high k’s and read numerous reports about the rod bearing failures. I figured if it lasted this long the motor might be one of the good ones or the bearings have already been replaced. I did an oil analysis which did not show any excessive metals in the oil; I was looking for signs of copper due to bearing wear. It did show above average fuel content which is why I replaced the fuel tank breather valve. I haven’t had the oil tested since but plan to do so this month…

265kw atw would be plenty for the road I’d imagine; I think that’s stock E92 M3 power so mine should be running about the same give or take some wear and tear. I’d be curious to see how many ponies have been lost over the years as it still feels really strong and performs well on the track…

It is the Jerez black, which is actually blue so I have no idea why they call it Jerez Black. Possibly Jerez Blue would have been a better name for it…

I hope you’re enjoying the Lexus; I’m surprised how good they sound. I watched a youtube clip where the car wasn’t in view to start with; it was just the sound. He asked people to guess what car it was. Most were guessing American muscle and then he cut to the Lexus. I think it had an X-force exhaust, it sounded mean…

Users Country Flag
    I know what you mean about keeping the car in a useable rev range in normal daily driving. Im sure the M3 is similar, but below 3,600rpm the IS-F is smooth but quite doughy, but once above 3,600rpm it comes on song and rips through to redline with a glorious sound. It has an airbox with a large vacuum operated flap that opens above 3,600rpm and essentially means the car has a huge hole in the airbox = glorious induction sound.

The problem is being able to get past 3,600rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear in normal daily traffic is near on impossible and therefore quite frustrating. I must say that in that aspect i do sometimes miss my Golf R and GTI as they were so nippy and torquey down low and therefore less frustrating in daily traffic.

Ahh yes the rod bearings are a real thing on the M3 and M5 of that era. Keep an eye on those with your oil tests. Surely good quality oil and regular oil changes should help, but i have read that most of the bearing damage was due to owners revving the engine when the oil/engine was not up to temp and therefore putting additional stress and wear on the bearings. So if that theory has any truth behind it at all, each car should be different depending on how it has been treated by its previous owner(s).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Awesome M3!

I also love the M3s (had an E36 M3, E46M3 and a Z3 M-Coupe all with versions of the 3.2 six) and have always wanted the V8 E92 too. A bit jealous as this 1 looks in really good nick.

Did settle for a V8 a few years ago but went American muscle instead of German engineering .... LOL
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Another big factor for me is that 99% of M3's are 2 door which would not suit me (car needs to be practical so my daughter can ride in the back).
    Not quite true. The actual breakdown worldwide for E9x was 61% coupe; 15% sedan and surprisingly 24% convertible.

In Australia, nearly all manual M3s are 2 door E92 coupes and nearly all DCT M3s are 4 door E90 sedans. However there are some exceptions out there. If you are patient and prepared to wait, you will find a 4 door manual. Only a very few are advertised for sale each year but I found one. It's actually one of only 116 manufactured worldwide in RHD comp pack (whereas they made 1,570 as coupes).
    Last edited by 3C4M Guy; 24-08-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Have thoroughly enjoyed all your posts guile. My other car is also a BMW M3 ... but mine is E90 6MT Competition Pack LCI.

What year is yours?

My other car is a BMW E92 M3...-img_0232c-jpg
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

thanks mate, I appreciate your comments. mine is 2008 model, pre LCI. I like the colour and wheels on your E90, they are awesome sounding cars I'm sure you agree...

I finally got around to replacing both fuel level senders. not such a bad job but a bit fiddley pulling the pipe over the prop shaft tunnel to the other side of the fuel tank. I forgot how much I hate working with fuel tanks after replacing a couple of pumps on my s3 and r32 in the past...

having the right tools always helps (no not the rum...), the pronged gadget is for removing the fuel pump collar. it has a 1/4" and 1/2" socket drive that you turn it with. much better than a screwdriver and hammer which is my usual method...

fixed and full...

for anyone reading with the same issue; i tested the ohms and it was approximately 900 ohms on the new unit when the float is up and about half that on the old unit. hence the reason i was only ever reading 3/4 full on a full tank as the other sender was reading approximately 900 ohms too...
    Last edited by guile; 19-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.

I decided to get some sticky rubber on a spare set of wheels before a short track session at lakeside. I'm not really a fan of the wheel style but they will do as a spare set with some nice semi slicks on...

a few photos from the vw happy laps session after breakfast...

thanks to Ale as always for taking such great photos...

I'm surprised how much the right rear suspension is compressed...

no idea what face I'm pulling here, must be fat cheeks from the awesome cooked brekkie...

Last edited by guile; 05-11-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Nice one.

I'm a big fan of M3 coupes, especially the E46 and E92. Both sound awesome in different ways.

However for the F82 M4, I actually prefer the F30 M3.

The M4 looks more like a GT than sports car.

The M2 would be my pick today.

How often do you drive it or km per year you put on it.

A 10 year old high performance euro is a little scary if you can't do anything other than basic mechanical work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast