Thread: Oh My God

Users Country Flag

Thumbs up Oh My God

I was fortunate today to drive the A45 AMG. Suffice to say that I don't think I will be waiting for the MK7 "R", or the new Audi S3. The bar has been raised to 4.6sec 0-100/12.6sec 0-400m and everyone else is now playing catchup. Don't buy
    any other performance car before you drive the A45 Oh My God!!!!!!
    2012 MK6 GOLF R. DSG. RISING BLUE

Ah, but - you didn't tell us what is the price in AU of this delectable new offering from Mercedes.

Undoubtedly very tasty, but comparing to a MK7 R which costs under $60k is not realistic.

The S3 can be had from $82k and would be a more direct competitor price wise, but clearly loses big time on Nm/KW to the Merc.

An A45 is high on my list for replacement of the GTI, which I still love to drive once it is moving.

I dislike the lack of "launch feel" from the DSG, and when giving it a bit of a bootfull it throws to wheelspin too easily. Next car will be AWD for sure

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Looks like this has a bit of DSG lag as well

Hmm, DSG by design will have lag, as Berndt explained about the clutch position.

But the bigger lag in this little demo was Berndt's deliberate reaction delay.

The Merc does sound great popping away on the launch control limiter, though. Trying that at the Chapel street lights would attract quite a bit of attention

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by redhot View Post
    I was fortunate today to drive the A45 AMG. Suffice to say that I don't think I will be waiting for the MK7 "R", or the new Audi S3. The bar has been raised to 4.6sec 0-100/12.6sec 0-400m and everyone else is now playing catchup. Don't buy
    any other performance car before you drive the A45 Oh My God!!!!!!
    I was the same when drove the a250. the gti just paled in significance after that. the R just I didnt feel a step enough up from the gti. and there wasnt even anything in the audi range cooee of the gti performance at anything like sane pricing.

I suspect the golf R similarly specd as the A45 will feel like silly money to spend on a vw. the audi I suspect will be priced insanely when specd the same as the a45 in performance and options.

time will tell I guess...
    Once had a Red mk6 GTI + DSG + leather + sunroof + mdi + towbar

now have a gorgeous Red Merc A250 AMG Sport

From everything I've seen and heard, The (old) S3 is capable but a bit boring, the M135i is fun but not much in it (and overpriced down under), whereas the A45 is both capable and fun (and the quickest). So the question is will the new S3 be more fun than the old one, and will the Mk7 R be more fun than the S3.

Of course the A45 is around $75k compared to the R's ~$50k starting price

Users Country Flag
    We're not comparing apples to apples here. I am not trying to be a VAG appologist, but the RS3 would be a more valid comparison than the S3/Golf R.

The S3 and Golf R are one class down in my opinion.

The M135i is a better comparison and totally agree that the A45 is a way better buy than the M135i
    Skoda Octavia Mk3
    (sold) Golf Mark 6 Comfortline 118
    (sold) Golf Mark5 Comfortline Manual 2.0 FSI

Quote Originally Posted by cktsi View Post
    We're not comparing apples to apples here. I am not trying to be a VAG appologist, but the RS3 would be a more valid comparison than the S3/Golf R.

The S3 and Golf R are one class down in my opinion.

The M135i is a better comparison and totally agree that the A45 is a way better buy than the M135i
    Different classes yes.

I would still have a 1M.... beemers are meant to be sideways!
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T