Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: " My other car is a Merc" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie28 View Post
    And this may sound weird but IMO it sounds even better than the old 6.2...
    Glad to hear that - my main concern about the switch to the turbo 5.5 was that the fantastic noise of the 6.2 would be lost though the additional plumbing.

Wow amazing, such a wicked car, so a Polo and a C63, wouldnt mind a C63 parked next to my polo, but dont think it will ever happen lol
    MODS- TOO MANY

Quote Originally Posted by vwthunder View Post
    Wow amazing, such a wicked car, so a Polo and a C63, wouldnt mind a C63 parked next to my polo, but dont think it will ever happen lol
    Thanks - they're very different cars as you might imagine, but you can definitely feel some of the GTI hot hatch DNA in the C63. Both cars operate on the same principle of stuffing a big engine into a relatively small chassis, and both suffer from traction issues as a result of trying to put too much power through small tyres. Both the GTI and AMG badges garner respect from those who know, and are passed off as 'nothing-specials' by the majority who don't - great attributes for a daily driven performance car.

The Polo would eat the Merc at Wakefield though...

Users Country Flag
    wow, that looks really nice!! had no idea they came in a wagon

This is my fav merc

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie28 View Post
    And this may sound weird but IMO it sounds even better than the old 6.2...
    Well I drove the new CLS63 yesterday (with performance pack option - 410Kw) and indeed the new 5.5 is a great sounding engine. It doesn't have the overrun burble when engine braking like the 6.2 does, but the note is certainly beefier / more masculine and sounds like it should be a bigger displacement engine than the 6.2 rather than a smaller one.

But forget the engine note - the power of that new engine is just amazing. A couple of full throttle launches in the CLS and the C63 starts to feel slow - not that the 0-100kph times are much different (the CLS is 0.1sec faster) but the torque of the turbocharged engine is just awesome!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesatfish View Post
    Thanks - they're very different cars as you might imagine, but you can definitely feel some of the GTI hot hatch DNA in the C63. Both cars operate on the same principle of stuffing a big engine into a relatively small chassis, and both suffer from traction issues as a result of trying to put too much power through small tyres. Both the GTI and AMG badges garner respect from those who know, and are passed off as 'nothing-specials' by the majority who don't - great attributes for a daily driven performance car.

The Polo would eat the Merc at Wakefield though...
    And as for the Lambo........???

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    And as for the Lambo........???
    Around Wakefield I'm still about 3 sec quicker in the Gallardo than the Polo. The tightness of the circuit means the G's additional 200Kw over the Polo can't really be used to the same extent as at circuits like Eastern Creek or Sandown, but Wakefield is the only circuit where I've run both vehicles to make a clear comparison.

That said, people who don't spend time on the racetrack don't always realise or appreciate that there's a massive difference between a sports/super/hyper-car and a track-car. The Lambo is a very fast street car but it's not been set up or modified for track driving, so after a few laps you start feeling the limits of the street tyres, lower temperature brake pads and a cabin full of electric leather seats and multi-zone climate control.

Turn that single lap shootout at Wakefield into a 30 minute endurance race and the Polo would probably come out in front.

Users Country Flag
    just blew a load looking at that C63 Estate...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesatfish View Post
    Well I drove the new CLS63 yesterday (with performance pack option - 410Kw) and indeed the new 5.5 is a great sounding engine. It doesn't have the overrun burble when engine braking like the 6.2 does, but the note is certainly beefier / more masculine and sounds like it should be a bigger displacement engine than the 6.2 rather than a smaller one.

But forget the engine note - the power of that new engine is just amazing. A couple of full throttle launches in the CLS and the C63 starts to feel slow - not that the 0-100kph times are much different (the CLS is 0.1sec faster) but the torque of the turbocharged engine is just awesome!
    I can't comment on the drive but with in my dads new E63 (with performance pack) it definitely feels much faster than his (old shape) E63 that he had in Aus before he moved to the states but that's only from my passenger seat point of view having never driven either of them haha and I'd love to see some pics of the lambo
    2014 Golf GTI PP - Pure White

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast