Thread: MK4 Golf GTI and 8L A3 Turbo with ME3.8 ECU. No ECU's opened during this tune up

Users Country Flag

MK4 Golf GTI and 8L A3 Turbo with ME3.8 ECU. No ECU's opened during this tune up

I am often reading about people having to get chips soldered into these ECUs. There's an alternative if you have the right equipment.

I can supply lots of tunes for these ECU's, Phase 1 $749(standard hardware), Phase 2 $849(downpipes/intakes/intercoolers) and Phase 3 $999(K04 Turbo and major hardware changes).

The ECU can be shipped to me and returned in a few days. I'll even pay for the postage. I can usually get these back in the mail the day I receive them, so downtime is 3 days.

Having tuned many of these over the years, the base maps for Phase 3 conversions are pretty close at the start but if you are considering this kind of upgrade. Please get in touch before randomly buying things off the internet, to avoid things you don't need and hear my experiences of what does and doesn't work.

A few photos of what goes on for those that haven't seen it before.

06A906018CH ECU from a Golf GTI.

The ECU hooked up to the power supply, bench lead and flash cable.

Load in progress, takes less than 10 minutes all up.

If you are local to me in Brisbane, I can flash the ECU while in the car, through the OBD socket. Phase 1, 2 and K03s tunes available.
    Last edited by h100vw; 02-02-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hello,

Just a question out of curiosity.

So the process before hand was to have a custom code tune programmed to an EPROM, and then soldered to the ECU in place of the exiting EPROM. This was because EPROM's are 1 write only ? so cant be reflashed again.

So what has changed? I know that some of ME 3.8's are flashable but i thought they would be the DBW mk4 variants.

Do the DBC ecus contain EEPROMS?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    Hello,

Just a question out of curiosity.

So the process before hand was to have a custom code tune programmed to an EPROM, and then soldered to the ECU in place of the exiting EPROM. This was because EPROM's are 1 write only ? so cant be reflashed again.

So what has changed? I know that some of ME 3.8's are flashable but i thought they would be the DBW mk4 variants.

Do the DBC ecus contain EEPROMS?
    We have always had the capability to flash through the ECU plug. This is for all Aus delivered MK4 GTI/A3s with AGU engines.

In the ROW VW sold GTIs and A3s with ME7 ECUs which can be OBD port flashed. The Drive By Wire cars.

I was making the point that not every tuner does things this way with the ME3.8.

Gavin

A bit of new information on the ME3.8 ECU for Golf GTIs.

While in the UK recently I had a CH ECU immobiliser defeated, then loaded a Phase 1 tune to it.

The purpose being to use it for demonstration purposes and also as a loaner to keep remote customers on the road, while their ECU is away being flashed.

No charge for the loan, except to cover the cost of postage.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    Do you have any experience tuning a frankenturbo f21 by any chance?

Pretty sure that's what Lito fitted on his Golf, which went to dubster99 via my Polo. So yes

A little news on the MK4/A3 front. I am now able to flash these in situ through the OBD port. Obviously, I need to be there with the car. Bench flashing is still available for those interstate.

Cheers

Gavin

Are you coming to Adelaide any time soon? If so I would like a stage 2 tune for my Mk4 gti.

Users Country Flag

guys a wizz,very happy outcome.amazingly helpful,cant fault-believe me when I say 'I look for flaws'
    -without a doubt ecu guy to trust.
    DEEP POCKETS NEEDED