Support VWWC

Thread: unusual A3

unusual A3

just back from a quick visit across the ditch to spend time with 98 year old farter

He is very much alive and alert and 2 years ago swapped up to a '08 Audi A3 estate. I dont know much about model etc but heres where things get strange...

built in Germany, exported brand new to Japan, after few years their emission standards drop in and its obsolete or to expensive to upgrade emission stds, so then exported to NZ with 82,000 on the clock

The strangest part was the satnav still in Japanese trying to figure out where the hell it was. I tried playing with it once but pop says 'dont bother, I know where I have to go and only drive in daytime, dont understand those things anyway.

Users Country Flag

Got a photo of the car? We never got the estate version in Australia but obviously other countries/markets did get it. Your dad might be able to swap out the nav system with either an aftermarket unit (Sony etc) or if he can find a wrecked A3 of the same age he could source a unit with the text set to english (actually you might be able to change the text with VCDS??)......although it sounds like he isnt too concerned. I have a similar situation with my 82yr old father, he just purchased a brand new Subaru Outback and doesnt know (or care) what 1/2 the buttons do.