Thread: RS5 PCV Valve service kit. (AMG style)

RS5 PCV Valve service kit. (AMG style)

So turns out I had a hole in one of my pcv valve diaphragms and was making a complete whistle sound when at idle.
    Started out thinking it was a warn bearing somewhere but as it got louder in time I had to do something

Unfortunately Audi or any other company don’t make a service kit with new seals and diaphragms, and a new PCV valve will set you back from $400 to $600.

But after opening one up and seeing if it’s possible to fix it I couldn’t help notice that they look very similar to what you would find on a Mercedes M156 6.2 V8

So I thought I go and buy one and compare the two being that a Mercedes valve cost only $130.

Not sure if I’m the first in the world to discover this but it’s definitely a money saver. And your using basically genuine parts.

“The Mercedes valve is the top one”

As you can see ones opened they are completely identical!

Audi valve

Mercedes valve

Ones you strip off all the seals, cap and diaphragm you have a full Audi RS5 PCV valve rebuild kit for a fraction of the cost for a new one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Nice find and great way to save $400.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yeh I was shocked when they told me how much a new valve was.
    I looked everywhere for a service kit but no one sells them for this engine.
    Found a few company’s selling kits for 4 and 6 cylinder engines but nothing for the CFSA engine.
    One guy said just use the S5 4.2 valve but they are completely different.
    I have a strong feeling I’m the only one in the world to even notice this so I thought I’d share the knowledge being that these commonly fail.

Users Country Flag
    Funny how Audi/VW seem to have common parts that are weak points on each of their engines - somehow they never make them more reliable.

- PCV valves
    - Timing chains
    - Timing chain tensioners
    - Water pumps
    - etc etc
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

PCV valves and water pumps are common failers on almost every engine manufacturer.
    I think the whole timing chain tensioner problem has gone a long way.
    Iv never heard of a tensioner failing in the CFSA engine
    However, that’s not to say that other manufacturers don’t have issues

look at the AMG M156 engine. Head bolt issues, cam lobe issues. Internal oil seal issues. And let’s not forget the BMW rod bearing issue, throttle actuator failures, VANOS failures, oil pump failures omg the list goes on.
    My point is, they all have issues and if I was to chose what ones to go wrong, I’d take the Audi problems any day.

I’m going to hang these up in the garage to remind me why I’ll never by a BMW ever again

These where only 100,000kms

Users Country Flag
    ^ this is exactly why i bought a Lexus IS-F instead of an M3, C63 or S5/RS5. Absolute reliability and trouble free hi tech V8 motoring. I miss that car everyday (sold it mid-2019). God it sounded good and went like a rocket.

My heart wanted the C63, but after researching the German trio there was so much to be scared of in terms of reliability issues.

The most common issue (and its not that common) the IS-F's have is a valley plate seal failure and leaking coolant. Can be DIY'd if you are mechanically handy, otherwise approx $1,000 to be fixed by Lexus - vast majority of the cost is labour to remove/replace the inlet manifold.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-02-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Sadly when it comes to performance engines there is not such thing as reliability.
    The CFSA is a pretty reliable engine. Apart from the typical carbon build up. Iv had no issues with the CFSA.
    I have to admit it was my fault why the PCV vale’s failed.
    I taped up the breather holes when I was cleaning the engine and forgot to take the tape off.