Support VWWC

Thread: Coolant burning Q7 - I think I have diagnosed the issue but would like input.

Users Country Flag

Coolant burning Q7 - I think I have diagnosed the issue but would like input.

Hi all,
    There has been a series of issues that have cropped up on my 2011 Q7 3.0TDI. At fist the coolant pump started leaking from just underneath the pulley, which I promptly replaced, but now it seems to be burning coolant as well.
    After sitting for a week or 2 during lock down I started the car up and after warming up for 5-10 minutes there was a fair bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust. This went away after driving for another 5 minutes and didn't return until the next time I left the car to sit for a week.
    I check both the oil and the coolant and couldn't see any of the tell tail signs that the head gasket had blown (oil is clean, coolant is clean), no loss of power other engine running issues, no check engine lights etc. Over the course of 1.5hrs or driving I lost probably 2 ltrs of coolant.

At this point I think that the EGR cooler has developed a leak back into the intake.

I haven't bought any parts yet, but I have bought a coolant pressure test kit and a compression test kit for diesel engines (compression test kit hasn't arrived yet).

Does anyone know how to test the EGR cooler without dismantling too much? Signs to look for that it has failed?

As an additional thing, the left side fuel rail has developed a leak at the rear hard line fitting. Not related, but strange that 3 items would come up at around the same time.

Users Country Flag
    They leak internally so in the absence of a visual clue else where. The EGR is your guy.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the reply. I have ordered an EGR cooler.

Looking at the diagram for the parts I noticed a bleed screw on the cooler. I would suspect that when changing the water pump air got trapped in the cooler and caused an internal rupture. Looking at ELSA it is a part of the procedure. Oh well.

Still ends up cheaper that getting the first job done at the dealership.

Users Country Flag

Lucky you! My brand new Crafters coolant failed so quick, no warning. It hydrolocked an destroyed 2.0TDI instantly at only 1000km from new.