Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo

Hi all

In a similar vein to Lucas_R's thread (which, for those interested, will be far more useful to you than this thread), I thought I would get some info about my car onto the forum for posterity sake.

I preface this thread by saying I am not mechanically useful - and here is where I think you will find Lucas_R's thread far more practical. I enjoy my car and would like to know more mechanically, but lack of tools, time, etc... So for now, I don't do anything to it myself.

I purchased my 2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI in August 2017 from Audi Centre Sydney as an ex-lease vehicle with ~25k on the clock. I wasn't after a particular colour but loved the silver as soon as I saw it, particularly with the rather dark glass. Car was in very very tidy shape when it arrived in Melbourne.

I'll endeavour to keep the thread up to date as new things happen...

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-1-jpg
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-2-jpg
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-3-jpg
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-4-jpg
    2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-5-jpg

After receiving my car, first stop after Vicroads to transfer swap the plates was to visit Auto Fidelity in Moorabbin. From the factory, the car is fitted with a sound booster in the exhaust system but I wasn’t in love with the exhaust note it pushed out.

Auto Fidelity had the car for a few hours, and fitted the Kufatec Sound Booster Pro module into a cavity in the side of the boot. The module has a USB cord that you can plug into a laptop and toy around with 5 different sound profiles for the exhaust sound. The module is wired into the cruise control stem so you can easily cycle through sound profiles whenever you like. There is a Sound Booster page on the Auto Fidelity site that runs through it pretty comprehensively.

I found one of the pre-defined profiles was agreeable for me – certainly not the loudest – I’ve kept a relatively quiet idle so as to not wake the neighbours, but as the revs build the sound builds nicely. There is also the option of a lumpy idle, not for me, but some might like it.

Very pleased with the result. No pictures as not that exciting, but if anyone is interested in what the boot module looks like, let me know and I’ll grab a photo of the install.

At some point, I needed to replace the brakes. I opted to replace both pads and rotors and went with DBA T3 slotted rotors front and back. From memory the front were not a stocked line, so there was a wait of about a month for them to come in.

The front were unsurprisingly fairly costly, the rear seemed reasonable. It must have been somewhat soon after I got the car because at the time I wasn’t all that concerned about dust… If only I knew. For pads I went with TRW on the front and IBS on the back.

I’m not an expert in braking, but have had to perform a few emergency type stops and have been very impressed with how quickly the big fella comes to a stop.

When I need to replace the pads again I will absolutely be following Lucas’ advice and going with the ATE ceramic for dust reduction/elimination.

Pardon the filthy rims...

I was experiencing a very lumpy idle on cold starts, which over time became a larger issue and started to continue even after the car was warm. No error codes or similar, just a really poor driving experience. Toward the end probably a bit of a dangerous driving experience if I'm honest. I dropped it into the mechanic for diagnosing, but given it mostly only happened on cold starts, it took a lot of testing before the issue could be experienced by the mechanic, let alone diagnosed.

It was actually this issue that originally led me to this forum, and the similar experience of Lucas_R with his car. I suggested this type of issue to the mechanic, and they didn’t think it would be it so did a bunch of different diagnostics.

Eventually they took off the intake and discovered it was rather blocked up.

Not having a crack at the mechanics here as they are, and have been, really great to deal with and are very good at what they do. If you are around the Northern suburbs of Melbourne let me know, I'll get you their details - great guys to deal with.

The guys did a really good job cleaning it out, and then replaced oil and fuel filters. Since that time it has run like a dream.

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-4-jpg

My suspicion is that the EGR built up in the first couple of years of ownership as a did daily short drives to and from work. Work then moved significantly further away which got some better KMs on the car, and a lot of freeway driving, but I suspect the damage was done. I’m now back to very short daily drives, so this will likely be a problem that will rear it’s head again.

At the next service I intend to get them to take it off and have a look, if the build up is only minor they can run an intake clean through the system. If it’s serious build up, will have to do a proper clean again.

This has led me to investigate an EGR delete to prevent the issue recurring – obviously apprehensive going into that given Lucas_R's experience – but more to come on that in a later post.

At the time I was in the car a lot and found myself missing a decent interface with my phone through the MMI. I saw a youtube video from Auto Electronic Solutions (AES) in Melbourne fitting a 10.25” unit to an SQ5 in Melbourne and thought it looked really cool. Turned out that particular SQ5 was parked at an office around the corner from my office and I was driving past it every day but didn’t notice. I stopped at it one day and peered through the window at the unit and was impressed at how “OEM” the fitting looked, finished quite well.

Got in touch with Nathan from AES, turns out we knew some of the same people. He has a lot of experience in fitting, and also spent some time working for one of the big name car audio suppliers.

The Android Auto interface as part of the unit is great, makes music/maps/calls much easier. There was some initial teething issues with my phone as it is dual sim and I don’t think it knew how to handle it – but a software update has fixed that and it’s been flawless since.

I haven’t put a SIM in it, so can’t attest to how that works but I imagine it would be good. You can download other apps etc outside the Android Auto interface if you like. I’ve found this a huge usability improvement for me and the car.

Android Auto is only available as wired, I’m led to believe Apple Carplay is wireless – would have been cool to be wireless, but what can you do. I’m lazy and still have the USB cord coming out of the glovebox to plug into my phone, on my list is to go back to Nathan for him to run the USB into one of the existing ports in the centre armrest console.

I had seen the RS style grilles for a while on AliExpress and really liked the more ‘sporty’ look it gave the front of the SQ5. To my eye the original grille is a bit too much chrome/silver.

Was a fiddly install, Ignition Tube on youtube has a video where he installed one (in a quick rough way). The part itself fits well though. I was lucky enough to have one of the best auto fitters around in Chris at Autobarn Bayswater look after this for me. If you order one at the moment you'll be waiting a while with shipping issues out of the Chinese ports.

I'm waiting on the little SQ5 badge at the moment, been sitting in the supply chain for months now.

The grill itself came with an "RSQ5" badge, which of course was a non-starter.

Chris is a perfectionist in what he does, which I think is partially why it was such a pain for him to install. He needed to Dremel out the parking sensor mounts – he could just have touched those spots up and I probably would be none the wiser, but he didn’t like the finish. He ended up etching and essentially repainting the whole honeycomb section. No wonder he wasn’t happy with me for bringing it in!

2015 Audi SQ5 3.0 TDI Biturbo-20210926_102721-jpg

There were a few options for grilles – seem to two main variations.
    (1) Grille surround colour – black v chrome – I went with chrome as I think it fits the rest of the trim pieces, particularly the fog light surrounds that have a mix of black honeycomb and chrome.
    (2) ‘quattro’ section – yes v no – I went with yes as to my eye without it made the honeycomb section look a little too expansive.

Everyone’s taste is different so these were just my thoughts.

So, everything up to now has been written post the events happening, and we're now at today. So what's next?

I have a few mods – mostly copying Lucas_R – that will be coming up.

These are list below, and will all be performed/installed by Underground Performance in Melbourne:

- Spulen wheel spacers (20mm rear, 15mm front) – ordered from USP Motorsports (thanks Lucas_R)

- 034 Motorsport drivetrain mount insert package – ordered from VAGParts Australia (or could get directly from 034)

- a stage 1 tune (Underground Performance)

- BMC air filter - I got from a wholesaler Premier Auto Trade, but best bet for a consumer would be your local Burson

- EGR/DPF delete - parts ordered from Darkside Developments, software update will be by Underground Performance. Given the difficulties Lucas_R encountered with this item, and my opinion on the importance of it given the blocked EGR issues I had, I'll probably do a separate post on my findings and plan for this one

- throttle controller (also thanks Lucas!) - not yet ordered

Users Country Flag
    Nice work on starting your own thread. The SQ5 looks great in silver, I dont understand why this colour wasn't more popular as the vast majority are white, grey or black. As discussed, im definitely interested in the grill upgrade and I have also been contemplating the Apple Carplay/Android Auto upgrade. I was actually thinking of getting the one that works with the original screen as it looks more OEM, but this screen is not touchscreen whereas I understand the newer larger screen you have is touchscreen?

Can you please confirm if this is the kit you bought? A4/A5/Q5 (09-16) 10.25" Android Replacement Screen. – The Fitting Bay

I wonder if they have any recommended install partners in Newcastle or at least Sydney. Electronics are one aspect of cars that I do not enjoy, so I would want to have this professionally installed.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yep, that's the unit.

I hear what you're saying about using the OEM screen for full OEM look - I have a colleague with the same car as mine that went down that route prior to me installing. Once he saw my install, I think he regretted it. From what I hear, MMI wheel for Android Auto/Apple Carplay interface just doesn't feel right!

I recall RSNAV or Aliexpress had a touchscreen unit that is larger than OEM but not by much. It uses it's own fascia kit, but fits in effectively the same space that the current screen occupies (ie doesn't stick up the way my screen does). Could be a good half-way option.

Install is an issue. Two enquiries I'm making for you. I've texted Nathan just now to ask if he has any contacts up your way. I've also texted a colleague that will be able to tell me whether Autobarn Warners Bay or Heatherbrae have audio fitters on staff at the moment. Provided they do, I imagine they can do the job - with Nathan's youtube video being so good, it's pretty easy for a half decent fitter to follow along. I'll post again when I hear back.

Here is Nathan's video of the SQ5 install, that's the car I was creepily looking through the windows of. Toward the back end of the video you can see the touchscreen and interface in action.

BTW - booked in Underground Performance for 8-10 November. Rather excited.

Users Country Flag

Why not seeing you are spending heaps, buy proper wider offset wheels rather than illegal spacers

Wheel Spacers [Archive] - ozAudi - AUSTRALIAS LEADING AUDI FORUM

Vehicle standards (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Are wheel spacers illegal in Australia?
    Image result for are wheel spacers legal in victoria
    The fact is, wheel spacers are illegal in Australia unless the manufacturer fitted them. The End. ... Wheel spacers can increase your track and stability; they're also illegal to fit and more trouble than they're worth.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-10-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast