Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeti capable 4WD tracks

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

The poms are into 'winter' tyres for their snow/ice conditions and wouldn't mind an A/T type for the nasty crushed rock rd/track conditions but I'm not sure about the 'legalities' eg reg/insurance.
    Anybody got a second set for the nasties.
    Craig's hut (Mt Buller) is what I'm looking at as it seems like it might be Yetiable.

Quote Originally Posted by grtuned View Post
    Everybody would be surprised on how well the Yeti handles off road situations with a basic haldex system. I've been lucky enough to take one through a place called boggy hole in the NT, only a 5km track from the main road but a great drive. I recommend a steel under tray to stop sand getting up into seals on the transfer case this was the only issue we had a small leak had developed but nothing major. Another tip is to turn off all assist systems to help get through the sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The High Country rocky ledges are my biggest worry - the plastic under trays wouldn't last at all.

You can get to Craig's Hut in a falcon, so the Yeti will be fine!

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unrealshots View Post
    You can get to Craig's Hut in a falcon, so the Yeti will be fine!

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I didn't think it was at all hardcore but not THAT wimpy!

LOL... The Yeti should be able to go everywhere a stock Forester can go, give or take 5mm of ground clearance...

We did the Simpson about ten years ago with unmodified cars

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jagged rocks are thin on the ground in most of the 'outback' but are the big 'high country' threat.

Users Country Flag
    I can add Gunlom Falls in Kakadu to the list. There was a late model SS Comodore coming out as I was going in though.

I'll have to dig up an old video when I had a mate struggling to keep up in his 100 series. It was all very slow and pretty smooth but there was a very sharp switch back bend at the bottom and top of the hill. The sharp full steering lock bend at the bottom of the hill meant there was no chance at a run up and the flat track onto the steep pinch meant opposite wheels were lifted. The Yeti did it with ease with traction control but the 100 series struggled with open diffs.

Happy Days

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
    I can add Gunlom Falls in Kakadu to the list. There was a late model SS Comodore coming out as I was going in though.

I'll have to dig up an old video when I had a mate struggling to keep up in his 100 series. It was all very slow and pretty smooth but there was a very sharp switch back bend at the bottom and top of the hill. The sharp full steering lock bend at the bottom of the hill meant there was no chance at a run up and the flat track onto the steep pinch meant opposite wheels were lifted. The Yeti did it with ease with traction control but the 100 series struggled with open diffs.

Happy Days
    Yeah, I've heard stories of 'hard' being embarrassed by a 'soft' Yeti. )))

Well we got to Craig's Hut without any grounding and then came down via Bindaree Falls, Sheepyard Flats and Howqua....great day and well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    Well we got to Craig's Hut without any grounding and then came down via Bindaree Falls, Sheepyard Flats and Howqua....great day and well worth it.
    have you got any pics of the trip , im looking at taking the tiguan there in easter break if all goes well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast