Thread: Sh*t. Misfuelled.

Sh*t. Misfuelled.

Never thought I'd be absentminded enough to do it, but due to lack of sleep from a newborn + new diesel car after owning petrol cars, I've made a rookie error.

So fortunately I realised what I was doing after a matter of seconds and only 1.4 ltrs of ULP got into the tank of my Yeti tdi. It only had about 50km of range left in the tank at the time.

I called around a few mobile mechanics as it was a Sunday and they all advised me not to worry and that due to the small amount of petrol and the near empty tank, it should be fine if I filled up the rest with diesel.

I consulted the Googles, and most forums reflected this sentiment too. So I filled up and drove off.

I'm still feeling a little anxious though, knowing that modern diesels run on such high pressure.

It's booked in for a 60k service next week, so do I ask the mechanic to drain and clean out the fuel lines? Or do I just keep it topped up and forget about it?

Users Country Flag
    Leave it. Dilute the fuel as best you can by keeping it topped up short term. ie use a 1/4 fill up.

Users Country Flag
    Might never have run so well.

The upside is petrol with higher octane would cause pre-ignition or knocking, but to an extent a diesel is designed to handle this, it's how they run afterall. I too wouldn't worry about a 1:60 dilution.

No need to flush lines, just don't do any quarter mile runs on hot days.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    +1000 on youll be fine. just run this tank down and refill again but only use diesel and youll be fine

Users Country Flag
    Run it no more than half down and refill it to further dilute the petrol.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    I was running my old rodeo on a blend of filtered chip oil / diesel and ULP to thin it and the ute has just turned 25
    Only issue the fuel filter would block more often , you knew that when power went down.

Cant see 1.4L causing any issues.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    I was running my old rodeo on a blend of filtered chip oil / diesel and ULP to thin it and the ute has just turned 25
    Only issue the fuel filter would block more often , you knew that when power went down.

Cant see 1.4L causing any issues.
    Vast difference between the two though isnt there An old agricutural wheezer and a high tech CRD
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan