Thread: How the DSG Gearbox works

Users Country Flag

How the DSG Gearbox works

Ever wondered how the DSG gearbox worked ?
    I don't mean the flappy paddles - what's inside the gearbox and how is it all arranged ?
    OK....from the blurbs......concentric dual clutches..........dual input shafts - one for odd gears the other for the evens
    All sounds too simple

I've rebuilt gearboxes in a previous life but I'd love to know how they physically put these together .....

Found this video on YouTube...............couple of seemingly "clowns" but stay with it and all is revealed
    Verrrrrrrrrrry clever. ..........makes the conventional clutch and gearbox look quite "old hat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1Vk7SE-TI

BTW I've posted this in the Scirocco forum as well
    Last edited by Blue103TDIDSG; 14-03-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Those guys are not clowns - they're smart and know what they are talking about - they did seem pretty loose in that episode

Love the DSG concept - next best thing to a sequential box
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Those guys are not clowns - they're smart and know what they are talking about - they did seem pretty loose in that episode
    Hi Martin
    I have never seen them before
    As you said they come over pretty loose in that video so that's the only way I've seen them
    but they get the message across - the DSG is a very clever concept
    I was waiting to see if the scraggly beard get caught in the gears...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Love the DSG concept - next best thing to a sequential box
    Me too, particularly the paddle shifts, although my Yeti doesn't have them........LOL.....can't retro fit unfortunately
    I seem to remember when they first appeared on the exotic cars that Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear didn't like them (paddle shifts) -
    he soon changed as they all went that way
    My thoughts are that all DSG should have the paddles as standard....just MHO of course
    Even our Fiat 500 has paddles with the single clutch robotised gearbox - they give it the "fun" factor -
    You always get out with a smile on your face....
    Last edited by Blue103TDIDSG; 16-03-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Charles (the hairy guy) runs the YouTube channel "The humble mechanic"
    He's a master certified VW technician with over 10 years experience
    A lot of his videos have helped me

Jason runs the YouTube channel "Engineering Explained" - he's done heaps of videos explaining stuff
    He's now being taken seriously, he got behind the scenes interviews with the Nismo GT-R LM team
    He's been to the Jaguar factory, they let him loose on his own to review the car
    Nissan USA lent him a GT-R to review
    Chevrolet let him loose with a Z06

The two things I like about the DSG:
    1) Ease to use like an automatic but does not suck from a performance and fuel point of view
    2) The amount of time saved during gear changes - it really catches out kids in Commodores, as soon as they go for 2nd they are lost
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

You have a Yeti with a DSG gearbox that works. Wow !!! Your lucky, ours is back at the workshop for the 4th time in 5 years. One mechatronics replacement, 2 clutch packs and God knows this time. Seems more terminal, service lights, limp home mode.
    2014 MY14 Corrida Red Elegance Wagon TDI
    2009 MY10 Race Blue RS Wagon TSI 6 sp. manual. (Gone)
    2011 MY12 Yeti 77 TSI DSG.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiplastix View Post
    You have a Yeti with a DSG gearbox that works. Wow !!! Your lucky, ours is back at the workshop for the 4th time in 5 years. One mechatronics replacement, 2 clutch packs and God knows this time. Seems more terminal, service lights, limp home mode.
    ...or maybe you are just the unlucky one.

Ok, there always will be a bunch of people with faulty ones that the internet brings together. It goes for everything, not just the DSG.

Ok, its the mechatronics unit gone again. What a f%&#ing joke. 2 clutch packs and 2 mechatronic units in 5 years. Only bonus is it is being fully covered as a good will gesture. Still a pain being without the car.