Support VWWC

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fitting tow bar and wiring to a Yeti with tow prep.

Users Country Flag

I know this is an old post, but a Google search brought me here. In Australia, I have been quoted anywhere from $1602.00 to $1939.15 for the supply and installation of a tow bar for my MY15 Yeti. On top of this, the dealership charges $45 a day for a loan car. Is it worth having a Skoda dealership install a tow bar or should I explore my options if there are any?

Recoding

Quote Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
    I didn't take any photos with the bumper off or how the actual tow bar was fitted. It’s really simple though. The bumper comes off by removing these covers:

Like this:

And then you can remove these nuts:

There are 4 plugs/clips under the bumper. 2 screws at the edges which join the bumper to the inner guard and that’s about it. The bumper is not much more than a cosmetic thing. There is nothing solid behind it, which is a good thing when someone bumps you in a car park. You might break a couple of clips but the plastic bumper should bounce back and since it’s not painted it shouldn’t show a scratch too bad.

Once the bumper is off, there is a pressed metal bar that needs to be removed. There are 3 screws in one end and 4 in the other, if I remember correctly. It gets chucked out.

The tow bar itself is very simple. There are 2 flat, vertical tongues that insert into the ends of the chassis. Then 2 bolts screw into the tongues from inside the wheel arches. There is a large square tube that runs across the back of the car with the socket for the tow hitch in the middle. All the bolts have torque settings so a Torque Wrench is needed to get the right tension on the bolts.
    Here is the socket visible with the cover off:

And the cover on:
    Did you have to recode the electrics, if so how?

Yeti towbar electrics

Joel

Which uk dealer did you get towprep module wiring kit from and did you have to get it coded by skoda after fitting?

There are 4 plugs/clips under the bumper. 2 screws at the edges which join the bumper to the inner guard and that’s about it. The bumper is not much more than a cosmetic thing. There is nothing solid behind it, which is a good thing when someone bumps you in a car park. You might break a couple of clips but the plastic bumper should bounce back and since it’s not painted it shouldn’t show a scratch too bad.

Once the bumper is off, there is a pressed metal bar that needs to be removed. There are 3 screws in one end and 4 in the other, if I remember correctly. It gets chucked out.

The tow bar itself is very simple. There are 2 flat, vertical tongues that insert into the ends of the chassis. Then 2 bolts screw into the tongues from inside the wheel arches. There is a large square tube that runs across the back of the car with the socket for the tow hitch in the middle. All the bolts have torque settings so a Torque Wrench is needed to get the right tension on the bolts.
    Here is the socket visible with the cover off:

And the cover on:
    [/QUOTE]

Users Country Flag

What an old but very useful topic. I searched the Internet for a long time for information on installing a towbar on a Skoda Yeti, but this forum turned out to be the most informative. Thanks to the author for spending his time and making the necessary photos and comments in the topic. As I understand it, when buying original electrical wiring, no adaptation of the control unit is needed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456