Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Engine problem with great Yeti 1.8.TSI Inlet Camshaft variable timing Issue.

Users Country Flag

First Engine problem with great Yeti 1.8.TSI Inlet Camshaft variable timing Issue.

My 2012 Yeti 1.8TSI Manual has been fantastic.... Its done 130000kms and I have had no issues except for a couple of wiper blade replacements. Until last Friday that is, when the engine warning light came on. It had been running alittle rough and was due for a oil change in about 2000km. Local VW/skoda mechanic diagnosed faulty inlet camshaft variable timing solenoid. Im up for $700 to repair.

Has anyone else had this problem?

It has had no mods and has been log book Serviced as per Skoda Guidelines and has lived on 98 octane fuel all its life. Is this a common issue with the 1.8 VAG group TSI engine? Seems abit early for a well looked after car to be wearing out.

Users Country Flag
    Another guy had this a few weeks ago with a MK6 GTI (essentially same engine, just 0.2L larger capacity) and that inlet cam solenoid cost him $180 trade price. So even if you factor in another $50-70 for a non-trade price, that's still only about $230-250 for the part.

And it takes about 20mins to swap over. So $700 sounds very rich.

I need help... 2.0TSI
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for reply and good info Lucas... they are doing a plugs/oilfilter etc tuneup service as well (usually around 300) so maybe the quote is for the service and the replacement solenoid. After this experience and consulting this great self study guide I found online re VW 118 TSI Engine , Im going to make oil changes every 10000 instead of every 15000 km as advised by Skoda. Hoping to get 250000km out of this car.

Will update you on how its running when I get it back on Wednesday.
    Last edited by drbaz; 05-09-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The 1.8T is a good little engine, and with correct maintenance it should last well. I do oil changes every 7,000-8,000km on my Mk6 GTI - possibly overkill but it's a small cost (approx $110 for good quality synthetic oil and genuine oil filter) to ensure longevity of the engine.

Just note that the VW 118TSI engine is different to the Skoda 118TSI engine - despite the same KW rating and naming etc. The VW 118TSI is a 1.4L 4 cyl that is both supercharged and turbocharged....sounds good on paper but these are terribly unreliable engines. The Skoda 118TSI is the 1.8L 4cyl turbo engine (basically a slightly smaller version of the same engine used in the Octavia vRS and Mk6 Golf GTI). The engine in your car is much much better (in design simplicity and reliability) than the VW 118TSI.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Yes I have heard this from a few people now and there are no 118tsi yetis for sale on carsales.com (only the 112kw TSI with the slightly dodgy vw dsg Auto box.. Was thinking of getting a remap by BSR that can take it to 140kw but don't want to fry the engine... its plenty quick enough for me!

Users Country Flag
    Remapping is perfectly safe and wont harm your engine. The extra torque you will get makes the car much more driveable and enjoyable. Go for it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

With the young age of your car, I would ask if they can repair it under good will, anything under 5 yrs extended warranty or not like that is an early failure if it's not a consumable part.

Thanks for your reply woofy, I only had the three year warranty that expired Jan 2015....Get the extended one folks! Its not a dealership doing the repair so cant really hit them for goodwill. Mechanic waiting on solenoid part to put it all back together ... will know tomorrow if all is well or not. Anyone know whether a quality remap is good for long engine life?
    Last edited by drbaz; 06-09-2016 at 05:28 PM.

so the saga continues with intake camshaft solenoid and sensor replaced and no joy..... yeti now at local VAG dealer... i have no car and so far no offer of loan car from dealer while fault is fixed i hope this ends well .....
    Last edited by drbaz; 10-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Update .... Local dealer has diagnosed stretched timing chain....I am hoping that this can be repaired under goodwill as I feel this is an unacceptable failure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast