Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Engine problem with great Yeti 1.8.TSI Inlet Camshaft variable timing Issue.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by drbaz View Post
    Update .... Local dealer has diagnosed stretched timing chain....I am hoping that this can be repaired under goodwill as I feel this is an unacceptable failure.
    What is it with VW/Audi/Skoda and their timing chain issues?!!?!?! In this day and age, how can a manufacturer have so many ongoing issues with timing chains.

Sometime in 2012, the timing chain and timing chain tensioner (which were common issues on this engine early on in its production) were revised - perhaps your car still had the old revision items.

In that case, you might want to get your dealer to check your timing chain tensioner is the revised part - as it will only cost you a very small amount to update this part while the timing chain is being replaced.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Any update on this?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    unhappy update on the original post ... local vag dealer James Frizelle Lismore has confirmed stretched timing chain and Skoda Australia has offered to pay 300 dollars of a 2100 dollar repair ... this is truly terrible support and I will be contesting this diabolically bad response from SKODA Australia tomorrow .... stay tuned....

Skoda is normally quiet loose with their warranty authorisation, how is the service history?
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

The service history is as per the book Snail Style ... alittle earlier then every 15000

Todays Update.... Spoke to Skoda Australia this morning and they are currently reconsidering goodwill contribution to replace timing chain and guides. They will only consider paying for actual replacement part costs (600dollars) which will mean I will be still out of pocket over $2000 due to towing,labour and hire car costs (no loan car offered from James Frizelles Lismore).

Have been advised by Australian Consumer Law that this can be considered a "major "problem on the part of the product...defined as one that if I had known about it I would not have bought the vehicle. In this instance I am entitled to a full refund of costs.... Thats if I can be bothered fighting Skoda with the NSW Small Business Comissioner.

Am also considering sending issue to ABC's The Checkout program I think the world needs to know that the VAG group TSI engine won't last very long even if if you service it according to the schedule by expert VAG mechanics , drive long distance country kilometres and don't tinker with it!

Will post again when I have heard back from Skoda....
    Thanks everyone for your interest in this issue.
    Last edited by drbaz; 20-09-2016 at 04:10 PM.

The saga continues.... Skoda Australia now offering to pay for 100 percent of parts cost($600) but not labour. While this is better it amounts to about 30 percent of the actual repair cost as labour is about $1300. Anyone have any experience in this process? Should I keep trying to get them to pay for the entire amount or will it be effort for nothing?

Users Country Flag
    Tell them you will buy the parts and they can cover the labour.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Keep fighting brother! Set a precedent for us new Yeti owners!

Took your advice Lucas and asked SA to pay labour costs and SA customer liasion officer refused. They will only pay for parts and not even consider hire car costs. Am going to write to them now and see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by drbaz View Post
    Took your advice Lucas and asked SA to pay labour costs and SA customer liasion officer refused. They will only pay for parts and not even consider hire car costs. Am going to write to them now and see if that makes a difference.
    Writing to them can make a dramatic difference because they know you are likely to be documenting the procedure in order to formalise court proceedings through your lawyer or consumer affairs in your state.

Good move. I would be happy to get the repair for free and leave the hire car cost out of, it as a concession to resolve it but that's just my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast