Thread: Bikes on Yeti

Users Country Flag

Bikes on Yeti

Hi, any advice on carrying bikes in/on Yeti - can't go on roof (low trees in driveway) or towbar (haven't got a towbar) - I know the bike will go inside but does anyone know of any carrier that will fit on the tailgate? A friend has one but the top hooks won't fit on the lip of the Yeti tailgate because of the way it folds under when it's opened. Thanks in advance!

Users Country Flag
    Hi Bingley,

I know what you are after, but not if any of the regular brands offer one ( Thule etc )

I typed "bike carrier yeti" into Google and looked at images, and there are a few strap on Yeti gate opening systems, but they are all euro and the one I followed back to the German provider wanted $350 euro for it, plus post, so that puts you into serious carrier territory.

Having had several types of bike carriers over the years, all manner of rear mount ones with hooks and straps, I can't tell you how freaking amazing a decent towball mount one is. For sure the genuine towbar is silly dollars, but I'd really suggest you research that angle, see if there is anything used / wrecker / aftermarket you can rig up. I'm in love with my towball setup, and it's so quick, solid and convenient, which is the main factor I reckon.

2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

THe type above is the safest way to carry any bike but requires a towball. Local price is eye watering (I have a 3 bike one was about $600 IIRC) Thule Eurocarrier I think, there are cheaper steel ones, save $100

Hatch type with the straps that hook on the tailgate are what you probably need, I have seen them on Vans so the rear window angle is not going to be a problem

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Tried one with straps and hooks on my tailgate and because the tailgate folds under the roofline with very little space I don't think that'll work. I only want to carry 1, occasionally 2 bikes.....

I carry my Mountain bike inside the Yeti. Take middle seat out and front wheel of bike off and it stands up beautifully in the boot

Users Country Flag
    Not Yeti related but in the olden days, I used to carry two full suspension bikes in the back of my MK1 GTI, on the rear seat, by taking out the wheels.
    I can pull the wheels and seat off my road bike and fit that and a family of 4 into my S3.
    Both of these are smaller than the Yeti I am sure.
    I can see the attraction for carrying externally but in the interests of saving money(to spend on bikes???) I'd put them in the car and protect the interior as required.
    Gavin

Users Country Flag

Bike carrier Yeti

Bikes on Yeti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk