Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Australia Customer Care

Users Country Flag

VW Australia Customer Care

My less than 2 months old Crafter engine failed after just only 1000km - destroyed by leaking EGR cooler, they don’t have the spare engine. No suitable loan vehicle was provided or they can’t even offer.

I have, as per VW Australia own policy requested money back or give me a new van to drive until the replacement arrives and 3 weeks later they still think about it.

“Volkswagen 60-Day Policy

If your vehicle suffers a manufacturing defect that renders the vehicle immobile and no longer driveable within 60 days of the date of the purchase, Volkswagen will allow you choose either a refund, replacement or repair of your vehicle without having to prove that a major failure occurred, provided that:

You, or a third party, did not cause the defect and did not fail to take reasonable steps to prevent the defect from occurring; and
    Volkswagen has been given a reasonable opportunity to determine the root cause of the defect (including to confirm that a manufacturing defect rendered the vehicle immobile and no longer driveable within 60 days of the date of the purchase).
    Last edited by Transporter; 13-08-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    After spending almost $70,000 and no van, I feel like I was robbed. So far it’s my worst new car buying experience, something that I’d never expect from the Volkswagen.

Here’s the timeline how I lost my van just after 6 weeks from the purchase date and how so far the VW Australia very poorly communicated with me.

Bought on
    May 30 2020
    Production date January 17 2020 Crafter 4motion SYBB8YHD/20
    VIN WV1ZZZSYZL9034294
    Engine DAV 053433

Most of June the Crafter was parked and I was fitting the tools and equipments into it.

June 29 - first working day with new Crafter

July 13 -,the engine stalled repeatedly after start up

Immediately, I’ve called the local VW service agent, only to be told that the earliest they can look at my van would be June 30,
    the second service centre, south from me, could look at it on the June 27. Too late, when all the coolant from the reservoir size of bucket had emptied somewhere inside the engine, since there weren’t any signs of coolant leak from the engine out.

I’m a sole trader, one man business, with only one vehicle equiped for servicing and repairs.
    The reliability of my vehicle is a big deal to me. However, if the defect from the manufacturer appears, it must be fixed in reasonable time. After a brief in person conversation with the service manager on...

June 16 Crafter with 1031km went into their workshop with broken EGR cooler, luckily they had the part in stock

June 21 around midday, phone call from workshop - Crafter drives ok, it was roadtested for 100km and all OK I was told, detailed paperwork attached confirms just that. I collected repaired van later afternoon and guess what?

As soon as I shifted to 4th gear, very noticeable rattle from the engine valve train, no power to continue smoothly in the 4th gear, any attempt to just cruise in the 4th produced shaking of whole engine. The pick hour traffic on south road heading south didn’t allow me to make a quick u turn and go back, also it was close to closing hour, so I’ve continued to drive home (about 20km).

June 22 morning the Crafter went back to VW service centre.

June 27 they’re still testing and waiting for VW Australia With further instructions.

June 29 call from service manager telling me that the cylinder head had to come off after the compression test result didn’t look very good and as I expected, I was told 1 piston is lower than the others (bent conrod).

August 4 the VW Australia is still taking their time and think about my request to fulfill their warranty condition for refund or new vehicle replacement.

August 10, still no answer, just being told be patienced.

August 11, a phone call confirming that I should receive refund. No compensation of any kind just what I’ve paid for the vehicle.
    Last edited by Transporter; 12-08-2020 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Update timeline

Reserved space

Wow! So what does that mean for all the modifications to fit out the van are going to have to be redone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

From seeing how they’re treating me, what can I expect? What do you think?

I've just received a phonecall from vw customer care that they did approved the refund, but nothing about the compensation.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I've just received a phonecall from vw customer care that they did approved the refund, but nothing about the compensation.
    Make sure they're not sneaking any conditions into paperwork that has you sign that off as a final settlement. i.e. you are reserving your right to seek compensatory damages to recoup fit-out costs (and lost income if relevant).

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

VW Commercial vehicles, DON’T BUY...

Don’t worry about that, working from the back of the ute is worst day after day and I have to put additional hours in and more km as I have to return to my base and back, because of no space to carry material and tools as well.

I watched the YouTube video about, should one or shouldn’t buy the LDV van and the guy said that “there aren’t any parts in Australia should the LDV need any repairs everything has to come from China.” Hmm, like it would be any different to VW? I don’t know what’s worst.
    No engine in Australia and incapable to remove the engine from unsold stock or wait for the part from China.

I’m not sure if I could bring myself to buy the LDV80 van, but for sure I could have two of them, one for spare parts for the cost of the one Crafter.

It seems to me that the other brands don’t have much or have 0 van in stock available now. Unless you’re ok with 1.6CDI 80kW MB Vito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Transporter; 11-08-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Well I guess that's good news??? Though you probably would have preferred a new crate engine given the cost/time to fit-out the van. Plus the availability of a suitable replacement van. Do you roll the dice again?

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast