Thread: EGR Block Off.

Users Country Flag

EGR Block Off.

Hi All.

Anyone have any comments or experience with blanking off the EGR port, or maybe even just reducing the exhaust gas flow, to slow down or eliminate the interior of inlet mainfold becoming a nightmare of blackness and dark evil....!

Catch Cans....???

My 2021 Twin Turbo Crafter is about to land on this locked down Island we call home.

Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Steve.

Users Country Flag
    A good quality catch can is always a smart idea on a diesel engine. It will help capture a lot of the junk that normally makes its way into the inlet manifold and slowly chokes diesel engines. Have a look at the Mann & Hummel branded Provent catch cans as these are regarded to be the best in the business.

As for the EGR, you cannot simply block it off on a modern diesel without ECU trickery because the car will have a dummy spit.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Lucas, great information.

Steve.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    Hi All.

Anyone have any comments or experience with blanking off the EGR port, or maybe even just reducing the exhaust gas flow, to slow down or eliminate the interior of inlet mainfold becoming a nightmare of blackness and dark evil....!

Catch Cans....???

My 2021 Twin Turbo Crafter is about to land on this locked down Island we call home.

Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Steve.
    Hi Steve, as Lucas_R said, the engine ECU software has to be changed. If your crafter is under the warranty you’ll lose it. You need to block off the pipe from the cooler into the intake.

Users Country Flag
    EGR's are like regular maintenance.
    I blew two at 140kms each time, or hear enough.
    The third one is still going @ 490klms.
    Maybe VW has made adjustments?.............but I expect to change another one soon.
    No need to worry unless you are doing lots of short trips..................or heaps of miles like me!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    It’s a definitely something to be worried about. The EGR cooler that leat on my 1 month old brand new 2020 Crafter killed the engine in 2020.
    Why they don’t have a moisture detector sensor in the intake is really beyond me.
    I check the coolant level every day on mine.

Users Country Flag

I carry about 4 litres of water under the front seat so that as soon as I get the low coolant warning, I top it up and take it straight to Volkswagen.
    Although, now that it's out of warranty, I might change the next one myself considering they look a lot easier to do than the T5!
    (Which I've done twice now)
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.