Support VWWC

Thread: Dometic Ibis 4 on Crafter Roof....

Users Country Flag

Dometic Ibis 4 on Crafter Roof....

Hi.

A general Question with regards to my new 2021 LWB Crafter.

Before I cut a hole in the roof, I thought I would throw it out for comments on the fitting of an Dometic Ibis 4 on the roof.

Not about the merits of the Unit, but about the 40 Kgs sitting up on the roof...!

Any known issues with that amount of weight on the roof of the New 2021 Crafter....?

I've surely seen the same units fitted to the latest Mercedes RV roofs.

Wondering if I might be needing a support structure as an added security..?

Steve.

Users Country Flag
    I’m not sure if you still need that information, but this may help. Body builder guidelines - BodybuilderDatabase

Users Country Flag
    Hi StevieG,

The Crafter roof has a design load limit of 150 Kg. The Dometic Ibis 4 is only ~35 Kg. You can add solar panels, awning, etc., etc., and still not exceed the 150Kg limit. From memory, that unit has a 400mm x 400mm opening, so the weight is spread across that roof section. I would not expect the roof to deform once the Ibis is installed.

Regards,
    David
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks David, I ended up adding an extra Aluminium Brace, just for my piece of mind.
    I watched the Roof bouncing a little, so I just added it. now I can completely forget it.
    The A/C works a treat from my 326 AH battery.

Thanks.

Steve.

The Crafter roof has a design load limit of 150 Kg. The Dometic Ibis 4 is only ~35 Kg. You can add solar panels, awning, etc., etc., and still not exceed the 150Kg limit. From memory, that unit has a 400mm x 400mm opening, so the weight is spread across that roof section. I would not expect the roof to deform once the Ibis is installed.

Regards,
    David[/QUOTE]

Users Country Flag
    Before I got my roof racks I checked that too so my racks can carry 150kgs as well.
    I have had 150 kgs on them and all was well.

Quote Originally Posted by Delewin View Post
    Hi StevieG,

Regards,
    David
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

I recently had a pop top installed on my 2022 MBW Crafter with a small cut out to gain entry to the double bed on the roof. I too will have to reinforce the roof especially when two people are up on top, the roof flexes. Regarding Ac, I opted for the truma saphir under bunk AC to reduce the additional load on the roof. I haven’t had it installed yet, but i’m hoping it will work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk