I offer the following to maybe assist a Crafter owner. I am a career tech with VW & Bosch training in the 1980’s
We owned a 2009 Crafter based Motorhome with the Shiftmatic transmission which is an automated manual, automation by Eton Magnetti Morelli. Similar transmission found in the early Sprinters and called a Sprintshift. It was a great vehicle with an all up weight of approx 4500 kgs. At approx 84,000 kms the Shiftmatic transmission played up. Through diagnosis I identified that the concentric release bearing sensor had an open circuit. On removal of the transmission I found dual mass flywheel had also failed. Purchased replacement parts through a LUK dealer in the UK, big mistake as it turned out they supplied the wrong kit.On assembly the issue still existed and the transmission would not drive.
Use of my own ODIS would not get the clutch to relearn the bite point etc. Long story short, VW dealer and new parts saw the vehicle back to normal after 6 months of dealer incompetence. Travelling an additional 45,000kms without issue after we later sold it as life plans changed.
I am happy to assist anyone with issues they may have with their Shiftmatic, I learnt a lot from my experience.
I have for sale:
Complete valve body, actuator and harness that was replaced by the dealer but was not the issue - Offers
Original clutch disc and cover, still life in it but the DMF is scrap - free
LUK New DMF, disc & cover for a manual 2.5 - offers
Fabricated front pulley holding Tool from when I changed the timing belt. Works very well. - offers
ODIS on Dell laptop imported from the UK, has dongle plus VW service information. Wurth and Delphi diagnostics for vehicles prior to 2014. - offers