Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crafter 2.5 Particulate filter

Users Country Flag

Thumbs down Crafter 2.5 Particulate filter

howdy, I run a fleet of VW 2007 Crafters 2.5 in Adelaide and we are now experiencing particulate filter problems, the dealer has told me they are not a warranty item and to pay $4700 is ridiculous. I had my own mechanics take one off and we heated up the blocked front portion with a oxy torch without melting anything and from the rear end they blew compressed air.....the filter unblocked and then we made a funnel to run compressed air until the unit blew out all the particles of soot.
    The vehicles are used for city work and are rentas.......
    has anyone else here had problems with the DPF, and I am wondering when the golf diesels etc start to have problems I can see that people will remove the DPF and take the guts out of the unit.

Users Country Flag
    Has your company used the correct oil in the Crafter?
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    How many km's have you done? Also as phaeton pointed out, using right oil is vital!

Users Country Flag
    Removing the filter alone isn't the way to go. There's already lots of DPF deleting going on in the UK. Put it into google and see what you get.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeton View Post
    Has your company used the correct oil in the Crafter?
    yes, we have been using the recommended oil by VW, apparently its the short trips that does the clogging up, if it were owner/ operator I could understand but being renters its hard to tell someone that when a light appears.....drive at this speed for this amount of time etc.........thus rather than pay $4700 for a newbie the cleaning of the unit is what we reckon works.

But talking to the service dept at VW adelaide, they have told me that they are seeing many DPF vehicles come in on limp mode and having to tell an owner they need to pay 000's to rectify the problem is causing grief at the counter

Users Country Flag
    Yeah short trips with diesels with DPF is not good.

Thats why if I do buy my next VW it will be a petrol.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    Subaru is having exactly the same problem with their new diesels. Too many suburban plodders.
    Cars are coming in at 7,000 ks with the engine light on. DPF is nackered because they're just putting around the shops and kids to school.
    It's going to cause a massive swing away from diesel if a fix isn't thought out.

M

Users Country Flag
    there was a few problems with early DPFs but newer DPFs were installed in later models i think we are on a third generation DPF now there is also a software update to improve regeneration times not having to drive on highways for 20 Min's to clear out the DPFs/ regeneration and there is also a software update for stop start driving such as courier drivers stopping and starting but is rarely done as Volkswagen group Australia has reservation's of this one as it is a final solution and can cause blockages. if its a early DPF i would expect VGA to replace it as a good will warranty claim. if you've driven it round with the DPF light on the dash for some time over 500K's or so VGA will probably deny the claim as the manual says to take to a vw dealer as soon as possible excess driving will cause damage to the DPF the engine control unit will log the kilometers when the light came on the dash so the ks driven can be seen . also i think there a recall going on at the moment for this software update depending on Vin range. there is also problems with the DPF pressure sensor that reads how full the DPF is by means of reading the airflow through the DPF pipe at the front of the DPF and one at the rear works out the difference of air flow from front to rear these can be faulting not reading correctly and bring the light on early meaning a visit to the vw workshop. when in the workshop we do a forced regeneration with diagnostic tester. if you have a fleet of them kick up a bit of a fuss and say i own x amount of these vehicles am looking at replacing them with new and wont be buying Volkswagens in future and mention Mercedes as there the same van with different engine but allot more money. if you have no joy with the dealer contact VGA themselves. hope this helps you
    Last edited by bushnut; 02-07-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bushnut View Post
    third generation DPF now there is also a software update to improve regeneration times not having to drive on highways for 20 Min's to clear out the DPFs/ regeneration
    Seems I have been living under a rock, can someone link me to a thread or some info on what this whole DPF thing is and how your supposed to look after it (being that we are now driving a shiny new TDI with a DPF)??
    Two or three days a week it will get a decent run but in reality the rest of the week it is stop / start traffic to the shops and back... Should we be doing something special?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by bushnut View Post
    there was a few problems with early DPFs but newer DPFs were installed in later models i think we are on a third generation DPF now there is also a software update to improve regeneration times not having to drive on highways for 20 Min's to clear out the DPFs/ regeneration and there is also a software update for stop start driving such as courier drivers stopping and starting but is rarely done as Volkswagen group Australia has reservation's of this one as it is a final solution and can cause blockages. if its a early DPF i would expect VGA to replace it as a good will warranty claim. if you've driven it round with the DPF light on the dash for some time over 500K's or so VGA will probably deny the claim as the manual says to take to a vw dealer as soon as possible excess driving will cause damage to the DPF the engine control unit will log the kilometers when the light came on the dash so the ks driven can be seen . also i think there a recall going on at the moment for this software update depending on Vin range. there is also problems with the DPF pressure sensor that reads how full the DPF is by means of reading the airflow through the DPF pipe at the front of the DPF and one at the rear works out the difference of air flow from front to rear these can be faulting not reading correctly and bring the light on early meaning a visit to the vw workshop. when in the workshop we do a forced regeneration with diagnostic tester. if you have a fleet of them kick up a bit of a fuss and say i own x amount of these vehicles am looking at replacing them with new and wont be buying Volkswagens in future and mention Mercedes as there the same van with different engine but allot more money. if you have no joy with the dealer contact VGA themselves. hope this helps you
    Agreed, I still think that here in Aust it will be an issue that will cause grief. If someone purchases a Hyundai i20 diesel (of which i was going to buy 15 of them as renta cars) butI know Europcar in Aust has purchased them, but should the light come on and the need for regeneration occur our limited "freeway" systems means that one cannot get the exhaust hot enough to perform the task....thus limp mode occurs. And for a car costing say 20k AUD a DPF would make up 30% of the purchase price.....this alone is madness. I also know that diesel in Aust is of a different grade than the EU and whether this changes the problem I dont know.

In the end fleet owners will have to decide or pressure the manufacturers with Euro 5 emission systems but clearly this entire thing has the hallmarks of a bureaucrat without thinking the average owner's needs. And what happens when these DPF's start to hit the second hand market for the second hand buyer will invariably not look at regeneration processes.

personally I reckon its a mistake, VW have not assisted because the regen process was not completed as per their instruction.....like derr, how would a 1 day renter worry about it, just keep driving and let someone else worry about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast