Support VWWC

Thread: VCDS Mobile

Users Country Flag

VCDS Mobile

G'day,

Came across an iPhone/iPad app called VCDS Mobile that allows scanning the system to check for error/fault codes.

The app is free, however the wireless transmitter/receiver that pligs into the OBD port has to be bought (much like the cable that plugs into a computer).

Anyone tried it?
    --

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    G'day,

Came across an iPhone/iPad app called VCDS Mobile that allows scanning the system to check for error/fault codes.

The app is free, however the wireless transmitter/receiver that pligs into the OBD port has to be bought (much like the cable that plugs into a computer).

Anyone tried it?
    Wai: I assume that you are referring to the apps that require a separate dongle based on the ELM327 programmable microprocessor (you can buy the dongles in either Bluetooth or WIFI connect models). They are about $10 to $20 to buy and I purchased aWIFI unit from Ebay about a year ago.

I have to say that it's really a toy in comparison to the VCDS cable but it does't pretend to be a Ross-tech equivalent. The apps allow you to display ODBII data like: engine rpm, speed manifold temperateur, coolant temp etc. Some even claim to be an actual diagnostic tool, but you need to be wary of such claims. I had a passenger door control module error on my car and the ELM wasn't able to detect it

Conclusion - it's a fun thing to try, doesn't cost much - but don't be surprised if you end-up giving it away after about a week - I did!!
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

VCDS mobile is the software app you use when connected to an official Ross-tech HEX-Net dongle. It's the same as an official Ross-tech cable but the new wireless version.

This software will not work with an ELM327 dongle.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Mobile Preview
    Last edited by Horace01; 15-03-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Horace01 View Post
    VCDS mobile is the software app you use when connected to an official Ross-tech HEX-Net dongle. It's the same as an official Ross-tech cable but the new wireless version.

This software will not work with an ELM327 dongle.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Mobile Preview
    Horace: my bad, I assumed (incorrectly) that OP was referring to the ELM device. You are correct, the HEX-NET unit
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.