• VCDS HEX-V2

4 36.36%
  • OBDEleven

7 63.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VCDS or OBDEleven for Skoda / VAG's

VCDS or OBDEleven for Skoda / VAG's

Hey guys

been reading a lot.. and seems very conflicting readings between choosing VCDS or OBDEleven.. What do you guys recommend?

For OBDEleven AutoInstruct is the one to go for locally I guess for $99 with Pro Version and delivery

Ross Tech HEX-V2 is the one for VCDS (About $368 AUD Delivered)? https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

Any cheap local / online sellers for that? or some other model of Ross Tech?

Basically trying to figure out what is better to get? huge difference between the two... Can see a lot of tweaks online for VCDS cables but I understand you can do the same with OBDEleven but not straight forward

They're aimed at very different markets. You need to work out what your requirements are and select the appropriate tool for the job.

OBDEleven is aimed at the casual enthusiast market, with a more friendly UI and a credit-based system for applying certain changes. Good for occasional use on a vehicle that's well supported (e.g. Mk7 Golf etc).

VCDS is a more flexible and powerful tool, that can do a lot more than just coding (e.g. data logging etc etc), and works with a larger range of vehicles. Up until recently was the only option so a lot of coding advice out there is geared towards it. The more expensive models allow you to use the interface on an unlimited number of vehicles, and many workshops use these.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by its View Post
    Hey guys

been reading a lot.. and seems very conflicting readings between choosing VCDS or OBDEleven.. What do you guys recommend?

For OBDEleven AutoInstruct is the one to go for locally I guess for $99 with Pro Version and delivery

Ross Tech HEX-V2 is the one for VCDS (About $368 AUD Delivered)? https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

Any cheap local / online sellers for that? or some other model of Ross Tech?

Basically trying to figure out what is better to get? huge difference between the two... Can see a lot of tweaks online for VCDS cables but I understand you can do the same with OBDEleven but not straight forward
    its: If I may add to Adam's excellent advice - it's ostensibly a "value" decision IMHO.

Basically, it's a matter of making a decision about what aspect of these diagnostic devices that you value most (based on your understanding of your present needs - so there also an element of judgement regarding what your needs will be in the medium to long term)

As Adam says - there is absolutely no doubt that Ross Tech's product is the industry standard - and it has been the industry standard for some time. This is a professional tool, but don't let that label sway your decision - Uwe Ross has indicated that more of his sales are from enthusiasts (like you, and me), than from commercial workshops. But it's not inexpensive (albeit IMO, it's worth the extra expense) - so if you choose a VCDS product, you will be investing in a very, very good piece-of-kit! I've got both the older style HEX+CAN (not available now) and the newest HEX-NET and they both operate flawlessly (the HEX-NET speed is fantastic - it runs like a cut cat!). You can buy HEX -V2 as well which is basically the HEX-NET architecture without cable-less function (HEX-NET can use a WIFI link) and some other smarts - a good alternate for reducing cost. You can also buy unlimited VIN, or limited VIN versions of the HEX series cables to suit your future needs (and you can change these limitations later).

OBD11 is an entirely different way of using a diagnostic cable! Whereas the VCDS software has the complete database for your car's CAN network resident on your laptop - OBD11 downloads this database from a central website based on what the dongle reports about your car. This means that you MUST have a good ISP connection at the point of use - and the speed of this connection determines the quality of the experience! OBD11 also uses bluetooth, so there is a pairing process when first using the product. Another limitation of OBD11 is that it currently ONLY works on Android devices (which aren't expensive to buy- if you don't own a Tablet/mobile phone). BUT - OBD11 is a very inexpensive tool - even if you need to buy a new tablet/mobile phone. I've had an OBD11 dongle for some time and it's also quite good. It does stuff differently to VCDS (some better, some worse) and it also has one-click Apps which implement tweaks easily for new users - these cost "credits". Almost ALL VCDS instructions can be translated into OBD11 speak -so it's newer structure isn't a problem.

So- I guess that my suggestion would be to think about how you might use a diagnostic cable (both now and into the immediate future). If you are the type of person that might get-hooked onto CAN network stuff (as am I), then my advice is to take-the-plunge and invest in a HEX-V2 with limited VIN (you can update this later - if you need more VINs).

On the other hand, if you just want to dabble - then go the OBD11 route initially. Consider the additional cost if you eventually buy a VCDS tool as a training expense, but make sure that you have a good internet connection in your garage/workshop.

BUT - REGARDLESS OF WHAT DEVICE YOU BUY - DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY A CLONE DEVICE. Those that do purchase fake cables are as complicit in IP theft as are the sellers of these devices!

Don

PS: I see that you live in Melbourne - if you want to see both devices in action , PM and we can arrange an introductory training class (I seem to do many of these -these days). I can sit you in front of my CAN-BUS test-bench. It's my "virtual" car - a type of "simulator" (see picture below). You can try both devices and you can attempt to make whatever changes that you like - without the fear of breaking anything .
    Last edited by DV52; 15-05-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    I have both for my MY11 Skoda Superb.
    I find the VCDS interface more intuitive than OBD11 and the Ross Tech support is great also.
    I don't do anything major at this stage but still think that the Hex Net was well worth the extra $$$

Thanks guys.. All valid points..

@DV52 Will take your offer but going out of country for a month so maybe later..

I guess the price difference is huge.. $100 for OBDEleven v/s $850 for HEX-NET..

I don't even know the capabilities if HEX-NET.. I heard about all is that by these devices I can turn on some cool stuff in car.. I guess I need to understand what should compel me to pay that amount

I guess the price difference is huge.. $100 for OBDEleven v/s $850 for HEX-NET..
    Why would you need a HEX-NET? Would the (substantially cheaper) HEX-V2 not do the job? As DV52 pointed out, it's effectively the same interface except you connect it to a laptop via USB.

Sorry.. yes.. HEX-V2 which is $658.. question still remains I guess on what can more can u get out of the $658 cable v/s $100 dongle and what more it can do better?

I personally struggle with the obd11 for coding applications and general user friendliness. Bear in mind I don't have a mk7 golf, which I gather the obd11 is much more complete for. I do like the wireless ability of it though.

I haven't used vcds much.. but it always looks so much simpler to use and doesn't require a second reference or website to work with as it's all built in into the menus.

I wish I had splurged for the vcds as i think the learning curve is much smaller and shows all options without having to go through random unlabeled channels as with the obd11.

[V5] ProBoards - Free Forums & Free Message Boards
    Probably worth checking out theirs boards too.

Also I thought vcds was closer to $300.. well $199 US for 3 vin access anyway.
    Last edited by BoraBora; 17-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Sorry.. yes.. HEX-V2 which is $658
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
    Also I thought vcds was closer to $300.. well $199 US for 3 vin access anyway.
    Exactly, HEX-V2 is USD199 plus shipping. And plenty of people sell VCDS cables secondhand on these forums too, for around the $250 mark. Where did you get $658 from?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Exactly, HEX-V2 is USD199 plus shipping. And plenty of people sell VCDS cables secondhand on these forums too, for around the $250 mark. Where did you get $658 from?
    Sorry my bad.. I had seen the wrong listing.. this price is for unlimited VIN.. $350 for 3 VIN

Search - hex-v2

So basically HEX-v2 is easier to use but VCDS can do mostly all the basic long coding which hex cables can

What is this? VAGCOM 17.1 USB Cable & VCDS 17.1 Original VAG-COM Software (Audi, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen Cars)

Can it do what the above mentioned do? Long coding etc?
    Last edited by its; 18-05-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast