Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • VCDS HEX-V2

4 36.36%
  • OBDEleven

7 63.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VCDS or OBDEleven for Skoda / VAG's

You should be able to buy from Ross-Tech direct and get them to ship it to you; may well be cheaper than $350 delivered, although you'd want to inquire.

VCDS is the software. HEX-V2 is one type of cable made by Ross-Tech that works with VCDS. Any genuine Ross-Tech cable (and there are several new and older versions out there, with different capabilities aimed at different types of user) will work with the latest official versions of VCDS.

The link you've got there is for a clone cable, with a hacked (old) version of VCDS that will work with the clone cable. Buying one supports IP theft and locks you in to a specific version of the software that can't be updated. Obviously I can't tell you not to buy it, but I'd strongly advise you against it for all those reasons.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Thanks AdamD

Understand that now.. So basically even for a very basic new person like me (who is new to VAG world and don't understand the capabilities of either device) you would recommend $350 HEX-V2 3 VIN cable over $100 ODBEleven device?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by its View Post
    Thanks AdamD

Understand that now.. So basically even for a very basic new person like me (who is new to VAG world and don't understand the capabilities of either device) you would recommend $350 HEX-V2 3 VIN cable over $100 ODBEleven device?
    He's talking about the clone cable link you posted before (VAGCOM 17.1 USB Cable & VCDS 17.1 Original VAG-COM Software (Audi, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen Cars)). The $100 OBDEleven device (which I have) is legit, and good enough for the average joe to do basic stuff. Anything more, and invest in the real deal and not the fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    He's talking about the clone cable link you posted before (VAGCOM 17.1 USB Cable & VCDS 17.1 Original VAG-COM Software (Audi, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen Cars)). The $100 OBDEleven device (which I have) is legit, and good enough for the average joe to do basic stuff. Anything more, and invest in the real deal and not the fakes.
    Yes.. that is why i am asking for the recommendation between the $350 cable v/s $100 dongle

Quote Originally Posted by its View Post
    The devices are broadly similar. VCDS supports more vehicles and gives you greater control over advanced coding and logging. OBDEleven is fine if you just want to make simple changes that you know are possible and well-supported by the tool, for your car in question. If you want to make complex coding changes that are not well-supported by the OBDEleven, then VCDS may well be easier for you to use. VCDS has a bigger existing user base and a lot of the instructions on the net apply to VCDS (and trying to work out how to do something complex with OBDEleven based on instructions for VCDS may be non-trivial).

I bought an older VAG-COM cable and use it with lots of cars and have made a wide range of config changes to those cars. It's the right tool for me. If I had a Mk7 Golf and just wanted to make a couple of quick changes that I know are supported by OBDEleven, I'd save the coin and get that.

If you're still not sure, don't buy anything until you've done your research and can make an informed decision.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    ^^^ I agree that it is never a bad thing to do as much research as possible before buying one of these two devices, but at some stage in the investigation you just need to make a choice - yes, as an "informed decision", but largely based on your gut-feel (ain't nothing wrong about gut-fee decisions - they are often correct)!

Choosing either device won't be a "wrong decision" as both have their advantages and disadvantages. Given the misgivings in your replies about cost and your dialogue with Adam, I suspect that your better route is OBD11 (as Adam recommends).

Better to just make a decision (and start your OBD love affair) than to prevaricate too long - life's too short not to have fun and the only value of money is when it is spent!

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    I went OBDEleven first. It's only $100 and I figure it's a good starting point based on researching threads and mods etc. I'm not sure I'll need to make extensive changes using VCDS later as it's only a few tinkering things I want to play with on my cars. If I need to buy a cable later on, then I'm not losing much money on the OBDEleven I reckon.
    Nathan

Mine - 2013 MY13 VW Jetta 147TSI | Now with 3Bar ECU and DSG Tunes
    Hers - 2016 MY17 Skoda Fabia Wagon Premium Sports

Users Country Flag

Cold bulb check disable for LED

[QUOTE=DV52;1228340]its: If I may add to Adam's excellent advice - it's ostensibly a "value" decision IMHO.

Basically, it's a matter of making a decision about what aspect of these diagnostic devices that you value most (based on your understanding of your present needs - so there also an element of judgement regarding what your needs will be in the medium to long term)

As Adam says - there is absolutely no doubt that Ross Tech's product is the industry standard - and it has been the industry standard for some time. This is a professional tool, but don't let that label sway your decision - Uwe Ross has indicated that more of his sales are from enthusiasts (like you, and me), than from commercial workshops. But it's not inexpensive (albeit IMO, it's worth the extra expense) - so if you choose a VCDS product, you will be investing in a very, very good piece-of-kit! I've got both the older style HEX+CAN (not available now) and the newest HEX-NET and they both operate flawlessly (the HEX-NET speed is fantastic - it runs like a cut cat!). You can buy HEX -V2 as well which is basically the HEX-NET architecture without cable-less function (HEX-NET can use a WIFI link) and some other smarts - a good alternate for reducing cost. You can also buy unlimited VIN, or limited VIN versions of the HEX series cables to suit your future needs (and you can change these limitations later).

OBD11 is an entirely different way of using a diagnostic cable! Whereas the VCDS software has the complete database for your car's CAN network resident on your laptop - OBD11 downloads this database from a central website based on what the dongle reports about your car. This means that you MUST have a good ISP connection at the point of use - and the speed of this connection determines the quality of the experience! OBD11 also uses bluetooth, so there is a pairing process when first using the product. Another limitation of OBD11 is that it currently ONLY works on Android devices (which aren't expensive to buy- if you don't own a Tablet/mobile phone). BUT - OBD11 is a very inexpensive tool - even if you need to buy a new tablet/mobile phone. I've had an OBD11 dongle for some time and it's also quite good. It does stuff differently to VCDS (some better, some worse) and it also has one-click Apps which implement tweaks easily for new users - these cost "credits". Almost ALL VCDS instructions can be translated into OBD11 speak -so it's newer structure isn't a problem.

So- I guess that my suggestion would be to think about how you might use a diagnostic cable (both now and into the immediate future). If you are the type of person that might get-hooked onto CAN network stuff (as am I), then my advice is to take-the-plunge and invest in a HEX-V2 with limited VIN (you can update this later - if you need more VINs).

On the other hand, if you just want to dabble - then go the OBD11 route initially. Consider the additional cost if you eventually buy a VCDS tool as a training expense, but make sure that you have a good internet connection in your garage/workshop.

BUT - REGARDLESS OF WHAT DEVICE YOU BUY - DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY A CLONE DEVICE. Those that do purchase fake cables are as complicit in IP theft as are the sellers of these devices!

Don

PS: I see that you live in Melbourne - if you want to see both devices in action , PM and we can arrange an introductory training class (I seem to do many of these -these days). I can sit you in front of my CAN-BUS test-bench. It's my "virtual" car - a type of "simulator" (see picture below). You can try both devices and you can attempt to make whatever changes that you like - without the fear of breaking anything .
    []
    Hi I have fitted LED headlights. I want to stop the cold bulb check to get rid of the dash error light and error message. Will OBDeleven be good enough

Users Country Flag
    Hi Don will OBDeleven allow me to disable cold bulb check for LED headlights. Eos 2007

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zgarymclz View Post
    Hi Don will OBDeleven allow me to disable cold bulb check for LED headlights. Eos 2007
    not sure -I'm not familiar with MY07 Eos. Perhaps look on the OBD forum, or the Ross-Tech forum

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast